Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM

161 posts, read 414,602 times

Advertisements

hi,
as some of you may know by now, i bought a SFH in late 08. bought at about 375k and bought down the rate with a point to 5.25%.

do you think the rate will go down enough for me to refi?
anyone know the rate as of today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,918 times
5.25% is an excellent rate (we got 6.75% in late 2007). You probably won't get much better than that if you refinance now. You do realize that to refinance you need equity in your home, and I very much doubt you have much, if any, with the market as it is now.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
5.25% is an excellent rate (we got 6.75% in late 2007). You probably won't get much better than that if you refinance now. You do realize that to refinance you need equity in your home, and I very much doubt you have much, if any, with the market as it is now.
525 is a good rate indeed....
yeah, i'm aware about the equity that's needed.......but i put 10% down and have done some major updates/additions....so i'm hoping for the best.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,918 times
Keep in mind that, even though federal rates are down to 4.5% (I think that's the most current), you probably wouldn't get that rate. It would probably end up being closer to 5%, and with closing costs, it may not be worth it.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Keep in mind that, even though federal rates are down to 4.5% (I think that's the most current), you probably wouldn't get that rate. It would probably end up being closer to 5%, and with closing costs, it may not be worth it.
exactly right. i figured that in order for it to pay for itself in 3 years, it'll have to be around 4.5

Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

107 posts, read 335,094 times
I have a question. Why do you want to buy down the rates unless you are 100% sure the rates will not go down further which nobody knows.

I have refinanced 8 times and paid nothing for closing. All the way up from 7.5% and down to 5.5%. Another re fi was closed this week at 5.375%.
When the rates go down further, I will re fi.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
How are you paying no closing costs? Are you just rolling the closing costs into the new loan? I've thought about refi my two mortgages (80% @ 5.875%/20% * 8.75%) and consolidating into 1 loan, but not sure on the closing costs. I have the money for closing costs, but honestly don't want to part with it if I don't have to. I'm comfortable paying the loan as it stands, but if doing a refi can allow me to pocket a few more bucks every month then that would be ideal.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM

107 posts, read 335,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
How are you paying no closing costs? Are you just rolling the closing costs into the new loan? I've thought about refi my two mortgages (80% @ 5.875%/20% * 8.75%) and consolidating into 1 loan, but not sure on the closing costs. I have the money for closing costs, but honestly don't want to part with it if I don't have to. I'm comfortable paying the loan as it stands, but if doing a refi can allow me to pocket a few more bucks every month then that would be ideal.
I am not exactly sure how it works but when I went to closing, I saw the final amount of the loan and it was the amount that was paid to the previous bank (Wells Fargo). There was lots of fees and taxes but I got credit from the Fifth bank and I am not sure why. When I was about to sign they told me I need to pay for escrow which was $1200 and I got $300 discount, totalling $900. They told me that Wells Fargo's escrow money should arrive to my house within a month of around $8xx and change.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM

241 posts, read 987,478 times
hmmmm.... interesting.... I just googled this as it caught my attention. Found the following:
"On most refinances you can choose to have your lender pay for all your Non-Recurring Closing Costs. This is often referred to as a No Points No Fees (NPNF) Refinance. In order to get a No Closing Cost Refinance you will need to accept a slightly higher rate than a normal No Points mortgage. Usually about .250% to .500% higher. "

This site has a good explanation.
Does "No-Cost" Mortgage Refinance Make Sense?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
I have a question. Why do you want to buy down the rates unless you are 100% sure the rates will not go down further which nobody knows.

I have refinanced 8 times and paid nothing for closing. All the way up from 7.5% and down to 5.5%. Another re fi was closed this week at 5.375%.
When the rates go down further, I will re fi.
sorry but i think you may have been duped into re-financing multiple times without understanding it fully! you ARE charged a large amount each time....usually 2-4k on a regular townhouse....(mine was 5k for a 230k house).....what they're doing is they're rolling the closing cost to the back end of your loan!!!!!! please stop doing it unless you're CERTAIN that it's costing you zero!!!

example: my loan was 225k. i refinanced. cost: 5k. i paid 0. but my loan was now 225k+5k = 230k at a lower rate! (so....it wasn't FREE as you mentioned. i just didn't pay it right away!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia