Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,026 times

Advertisements

Where is the beauty in Northern Virginia?

I am looking for some outdoor activities and where to go and do stuff.

Are there any good places to go hiking or walk on nature trails? Canal Walk?

Is there a place to canoe down the Potomac River?

Where do you guys go to run, bike and have fun outdoors?

I live in McLean, so the closer the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Where is the beauty in Northern Virginia?

I am looking for some outdoor activities and where to go and do stuff.

Are there any good places to go hiking or walk on nature trails? Canal Walk?

Is there a place to canoe down the Potomac River?

Where do you guys go to run, bike and have fun outdoors?

I live in McLean, so the closer the better.

Thanks!
Kayaking works better than canoeing here (some parts of the river get very shallow). You can put in at a variety of spots. You can rent kayaks at Riverbend Park ($15 for half day), as well as Lake Anne and near Georgetown. Probably a few other spots too. Oh, and there are plenty of great spots down near Occoquan. But that's not the Potomac.

If you own a kayak, my favorite spot to put in is Algonkian Park. Then paddle north and check out the homes in Countryside. Or paddle over to Maryland's Seneca Park.

Biking. The W&OD gets my vote for best bike path. It'll take you from Mt. Vernon to Purcellville.

Hiking. Many, many, many good places to hike. My favorites are Riverbend Park to Great Falls National Park (especially during the bluebell season). Also, the Heritage Trail which runs all along the Virginia side of the Potomac. I like the stretch from Algonkian Park to Great Falls National Park. North of Algonkian the trail is hard to follow.

It's not close to McLean but if you're out in Leesburg Balls Bluff is a cool place to hike--it's an old civil war battlefield and there are a few reminders of the war there, including an old cemetary. Difficult Run and Scotts Run have pretty waterfalls and you can even go swimming (so they asy, I've never tried it).

Also, I love walking the various trails in Meadowlark Gardens. I can't really put my finger on it but there's something about that place that always makes me feel happy, even when I've been bummed out all day.

Another walk that usually puts me in a good mood is the trail around Lake Anne in Reston. It's pretty and I crack up at all the "mod" scupltures scattered along the path.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM

282 posts, read 873,470 times
For biking, walking, running, I like the Mt. Vernon Trail: Mount Vernon Trail

Across the river, be sure to visit the Arboretum later this spring when the azaleas are in bloom: US National Arboretum * * * *:. Also, check out the aquatic gardens nearby Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens (U.S. National Park Service)

For a slightly challenging hike, try the Billy Goat Trail on MD side of Great Falls. IMO, the VA side actually offers a better view of the falls.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,240 times
Huntley Meadows Park:

Huntley Meadows Park

Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
That Mount Vernon Trail looks to be absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Certainly agree on Meadowlark Gardens and the Arboretum. They aren't near McLean, but when you've got the time to drive a little, Pohick Bay Regional Park is a great place to get out on the water. It's run by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority which runs various of the other parks mentioned above also. Right next door to Pohick Bay is Mason Neck State Park, which is also a great resource for outdoorsy stuff.

Agree also mostly kayaks on the Potomac north of Key Bridge. Canoes are great on the adjacent C&O Canal, though. Rent either one at Jack's Boathouse (right under Key Bridge) or Fletcher's Boatouse at Canal and Reservoir Roads.

The Mt. Vernon Trail is only one of the terrific trails in the area. Bike Washngton has more info for anyone who likes to ride. The W&OD Trail is the king, though. Friends of the W&OD has a lot of information on it.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,093 times
Scotts Run Nature Preserve-it's close to you-it's on Georgetown Pike.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Another walk that usually puts me in a good mood is the trail around Lake Anne in Reston. It's pretty and I crack up at all the "mod" scupltures scattered along the path.
I like the paths that go around Lake Anne too. It's just an ordinary neighborhood trail connecting townhomes and stores, but you know what, this time of year I think the neighborhood trails can be much more interesting than the parks, since the greenery in parks hasn't filled in yet.

What is the story on those sculptures at Lake Anne? I like the one that has the peepholes tho I don't know what you're supposed to see when you look through them.

The wierdest one is some sort of sunken concrete boat (near the art center). Theres a very steep treacherous looking set of steps next to it. What are those used for? Do people dive into the lake from it? That looks dangerous, and I can't believe the lake is deep enough for diving right there.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Sky Meadows Park is awesome!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sky Meadows Park is awesome!
Totally agree. We head out there a couple of times a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia