Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM

74 posts, read 209,279 times

Advertisements

We've been living up in Springfield for the past 9 months so my husband has a nice opposite commute to Ft Belvoir. It takes him about 15 mins to get there and about 10-15 mins to get home in the afternoons.

We're thinking of moving to Woodbridge. What would his commute be like realistically? He goes in at 7 and gets off at 3 typically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Depends, of course, on where you pick to move in Woodbridge. It's a big place.

I would say, to get in a 7 AM, it would mostly be about a 30 minute commute max. Leaving at 3 PM, again, no more than that and probably less. I think the morning commute will be heavier.

That said, if you move way up on the Prince William Parkway toward Manassas and have to commute down either the parkway or Old Bridge Road, that can get pretty bad/congested. That's going to take most of your 30 minutes there.

I live down off Cardinal Drive and I leave my house at 5:20 to go to DC. I am past the Ft. Belvoir exit at 5:35 a.m. so, technically, at that time I could get to Ft. Belvoir in 20 minutes (again, I'm pretty far south, almost to Dumfries).

What area of Woodbridge are you looking at?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM

74 posts, read 209,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

What area of Woodbridge are you looking at?
I'm really not sure yet. This is just something we've been thinking about recently and we don't know the Woodbridge area very well at all. We'd like 4 bedrooms for $1700/mo or less (renting) and it could be a townhouse or SFH. School district doesn't matter since we're homeschooling but a family friendly neighborhood with parks nearby are important.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM

So you will need to look in the Lakeridge area (which puts you on the congested Old Bridge Road), or Montclair which puts you in Dumfries (but really has an entrance in the south end of Woodbridge). If you move to other areas of Woodbridge that are newer, they are really closer to Manassas--I'm thinking of the Hoadly Road area which will put you out there and really add to the commute.

Overall, Woodbridge to Ft. Belvoir is not horrific but it won't be as nice as your reverse commute.

Oh, and Friday evenings in the summer--a real BEAR on both 95 south and Rt. 1.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
If you leave early enough, Old Bridge Road isn't too bad but it really depends on the time you leave.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
If you leave early enough, Old Bridge Road isn't too bad but it really depends on the time you leave.
Agreed. My parents live off Old Bridge but they are heading down Old Bridge no later than 6 AM. It's not a really big issue. There have been times that my mom went to work later and she was "GRRRRRRRR....Old Bridge was SO slow." It also gets very bad near the high school area around 7:00 AM with the buses and kids crossing the road. It probably gets bad in the afternoon around 4:30 p.m. and later. There are some Friday nights that my mom crawls up Old Bridge. But that is around 4:30-5:00 p.m.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,265 times
Hi Shelsi ,

Your asking a great question, one that lots of people would like to know. The straight scoop from a Realtor that knows is the commute to Ft.Belvior from Lake Ridge will be a half hour or more depending on the time you leave and where exactly you live. The closer to Rt 1 you are the easier it will be. Old Bridge Rd can be tricky, however it's not all about the commute.

Consider the lifestyle differences. Would the move afford you better schools, better amenities, a nice home. If the answer is yes, then those things may out weigh the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia