Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,853 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. My husband's transfer to the DC headquarters location requires that we move from NJ. We are exploring ALL options with the following criteria:

1. Best schools for 14-year-old entering high school and 8-year-old who will be entering the third grade.

2. Safest, Family friendly area. (I've read articles about surge in gang violence in Northern VA and it frightens me)

3. My children love sports, oldest son has been on an AAU basketball team for several years and is very good. (moms opinion of course)

4. Close to shopping and recreation.

5. We don't mind cultural diversity. We do mind areas where education, and respect for self and others is not valued.

6. Some commute time is okay, but lets not get ridiculous.....90 minutes one way is ridiculous for us. Husband can utilize early hours and perhaps 3 days in 2 days out of office.

7. I am an educator and would like to teach in the district where my children are educated.

Looking for honest answers. Please help. We were looking into Leesburg, Ashburn and Aldie. Are they good choices?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 AM

446 posts, read 1,650,504 times
[quote=stepdisney;8726303]Hello to all. My husband's transfer to the DC headquarters location requires that we move from NJ. We are exploring ALL options with the following criteria:

1. Best schools for 14-year-old entering high school and 8-year-old who will be entering the third grade.
Vienna, Vienna, Vienna. North Arlington, North Arlington, North Arlington.

2. Safest, Family friendly area. (I've read articles about surge in gang violence in Northern VA and it frightens me)
Many areas fit this, but Vienna and North Arlington are GREAT for avoiding the gang crud.

3. My children love sports, oldest son has been on an AAU basketball team for several years and is very good. (moms opinion of course)
I know Vienna has a strong mothers group. Google Vienna Moms or something like that.

4. Close to shopping and recreation.
Arlington is great for this! DC at your doorstep without all of the cruddy issues that plague DC.

5. We don't mind cultural diversity. We do mind areas where education, and respect for self and others is not valued.

6. Some commute time is okay, but lets not get ridiculous.....90 minutes one way is ridiculous for us. Husband can utilize early hours and perhaps 3 days in 2 days out of office.
Again, can't beat Arlington's location if he works downtown. Even if he works deep into the suburbs, the reverse commute is good. Going to work at least....

7. I am an educator and would like to teach in the district where my children are educated.
Arlington schools and Fairfax (covers Vienna) would work here.

Looking for honest answers. Please help. We were looking into Leesburg, Ashburn and Aldie. Are they good choices?

Leesburg, Aldie and Ashburn are nice, BUT SO FAR OUT!!!! Many people like that, but if you want to be able to take your kids and walk around the Smithsonian for an afternoon of free fun, this becomes harder to do the further out you live.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,422,934 times
Vienna, Vienna, Vienna. If you absolutely must fit in with the "right" people!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,692,961 times
What will your housing budget be?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,990,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
What will your housing budget be?
Also, where is his job? If it's actually in DC, Ashburn, Leesburg and Aldie would be long commutes. Vienna would be ok, but you might be better off in a closer suburb like Arlington.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,933,838 times
Your housing budget and exact workplace location will be the determinative factors, since you can find what you are looking for (good schools, activities, shopping, recreation, safety) all over northern Virginia.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,519,800 times
What part of NJ are you coming from?

Dont worry about the gang violence - there is no problem in most of the upscale D.C. suburbs - crime here is nothing compared to NJ

Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. Some I understand, for some I will need further clarification. We are moving from the Northfield area, Atlantic county. My husband works for the federal government and will be working downtown. Arlington seems a bit "close" to the city. I think we would like a bit of distance but not too much. We are considering short sales and foreclosers which seem abundant according to our realtor. Our budget is around the $500 - $600 range. (Yankees fan eh? I love the Mets!) Not sure what you mean Fern by the "Right" people. Can you recommend particular neighborhoods in the North Arlington or Vienna areas? Also, how is Chantilly? A lot of the homes that fit our criteria are coming up in Chantilly. One more question and then I'll shut up for a while Freedom High School? Good? Bad? Any comments?

Thanks for the help. I'm off to research Northern Arlington.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,933,838 times
North Arlington has many great neighborhoods, and your husband will appreciate the proximity to his DC workplace. We lived in the 22213 zip code, which was walking distance to Tuckahoe Elementary School, Bishop O'Connell (Catholic) High School, and the East Falls Church Metro stop. Also close to the Overlee Swim Club, shopping, nice local restaurants, the library, and the W&OD bike path. Other good areas are 22205 and 22207. Any neighborhood that feeds into Yorktown High School would be fine, and Washington-Lee High School is also good, but is located in a much more "urban" area and serves a more diverse student body. $500-600K would get you a decent 3-4 BR 1.5-2 BA home, but you would need to spend more for an updated home or a larger lot. You could also consider townhomes in that price range; there are some nice ones literally up Sycamore Street from the East Falls Church metro.
You would get a lot more house in Chantilly, but pay for the space with a much longer commute, and no Metro options.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks Claremarie. We are currently looking for more house for the budget. I see that the sacrifice is proximity/commute for house/lot size. Vienna/Oakton seem more like towns we would be interested in. I keep getting specs on homes in Chantilly and South Riding. Are there areas we should avoid in these towns. Does anyone know about Freedom and Chantilly High Schools? Should they be avoided? Thanks continuallly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia