Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:20 AM

385 posts, read 1,261,573 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some property in Santa Ana. It was determined to be 90% hispanic. California is very unstable right now. Even though you don't need heating or cooling in some areas; the cost of living is sky high. Most avoid the beaches on the weekends.

In the six years that I lived in the East Bay, I witnessed two armed robberies, had one car jacking in front of my house, witnessed a homeless man jump in front of a Caltrans Truck, 3300 homes torched in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, A full scale race riot, and a huge Earthquake, and had my car broken into three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
I was looking at some property in Santa Ana. It was determined to be 90% hispanic. California is very unstable right now. Even though you don't need heating or cooling in some areas; the cost of living is sky high. Most avoid the beaches on the weekends.

In the six years that I lived in the East Bay, I witnessed two armed robberies, had one car jacking in front of my house, witnessed a homeless man jump in front of a Caltrans Truck, 3300 homes torched in the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, A full scale race riot, and a huge Earthquake, and had my car broken into three times.
I can see that you didn't have positive experiences in California... although I'm having a hard time figuring out the relevance of the Hispanic population in the Santa Ana community you were considering.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM

179 posts, read 459,816 times
Default challenging adjustment

You can put me down as another person who has struggled with the adjustment from California to Virginia. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice place to live and has many amenities that you don't get on this level anywhere else (Smithsonains, monuments and such) and aesthetically, I do think Virgina is beautiful but in a different way.

I agree with Normie about thinking twice about the move. My husband landed his dream job here; the opportunity is very unique and his specialty is somewhat exotic so we made the move. He put himself through his undergrad, masters, and PhD while working full time (before we met) and I just couldn't justify saying "no, I love California and don't want to leave even though you're the primary earner and have busted your butt your whole life in school). BUT, I won't lie to you; I know Mission Viejo and this is nothing like it. It's just a whole different vibe here and like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a reality. If I had no conscience I'd be back on the west coast in a snap but I love seeing my husband so happy and intellectually fulfilled. I guess I just love SoCal, warts and all.

I've been here for nine months now, my husband is thriving and is the happiest I've ever seen him so that is a big consolation to me. I know we will be here for the long haul unless something spectacular comes to him out of left field so I am hoping that like Normie, something magical happens to me that makes me stop all of my California dreamin' all the time.

You'll find smart, friendly folks here and a lot of west coast transplants. The other folks on this forum are great at providing spot on guidance relative to neighborhoods and such so they'll take great care of you there.

Best of luck to you here on the east coast and welcome to Virginia.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM

722 posts, read 1,924,381 times
Just wanted to say hi! I grew up in Mission Viejo (graduated from Capo!) and now I'm living in Bristow VA. The biggest adjustment has been the weather, and being further from the beach than I've ever been. I hope your move to vA goes smoothly!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
I am hoping that like Normie, something magical happens to me that makes me stop all of my California dreamin' all the time.
For us, the magical thing was kayaking. The river is so gorgeous, and it's one thing that really doesn't have a counterpart in southern california. There are a lot of other things I like (going to vineyards and such), but they weren't uniquely "Virginian" experiences. Then we got into the habit of kayaking, and that made being in Virginia special.

Getting out on the river is so peaceful... and if you get bored you can run the riffles or explore little coves and islands. I especially like going early in the morning and seeing all the birds. All sorts of song birds, geese, heron and of course the wacky cormorants. One time last year we glided into a flock of swans and they took flight just as we approached them. We've taken picnics and a bottle of wine and stop to explore the little islands.

The other thing that happened was getting close to our neighbors, making friends, that sort of thing. It takes time.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,925,976 times
Mission Viejo does have some awesome club swimming teams, but northern Virginia is no slouch in the swim team department. The Northern Virginia Swimming League is the largest summer swim program in the country (or so we were told before every swim meet), with member pools in nearly every community. Over 100 teams and 14,000+ swimmers. There are some well-respected USA Swimming year-round teams as well, including Curl-Burke, which has programs for all levels in Burke, the Tyson's Corner area, Ashburn, and elsewhere in the metro area, and FISH at Spring Hill Rec Center in McLean.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 PM

330 posts, read 878,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
I know we will be here for the long haul unless something spectacular comes to him out of left field so I am hoping that like Normie, something magical happens to me that makes me stop all of my California dreamin' all the time.
I know I painted a kind of negative picture of Virginia, but all places has it's negatives - including California. Virginia has a lot of positives going for it as well.

You might want to make a trip back to Carlsbad and spend a couple of weeks. That might stop your California dreamin'. Even though I've complained about Virginia, when I return back home to California I realize that I paint a much brighter picture about California and I realize that it's nice, but not as nice as I picture it when I'm in Virginia. And when I'm in Virginia, I paint a bad picture of Virgina, but once I'm back home in California I realize that Virginia is actually a nice place.

Just make sure you don't make that trip during the Winter, otherwise, you will continue to dream California.

The biggest gripe for a californian who is used to mild weather will definitely be the weather in Virginia.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,880 times
I agree with the weather posts. I've lived here my whole life, but just find the winters and the humidity such a drag. It's kind of like we have some great days in April/early May and October and beyond that, it's either too hot or too cold for me. So someone who feels like that has California written all over them I guess...lol.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 PM

9 posts, read 16,970 times
Awww, thanks everyone. It is such a relief to know I won't be "alone." I'll do some research on the areas mentioned. Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,547 times
To the OP, if swim teams are important to you, that rules out Kingstowne, which is family-friendly and has two nice pools but no swim team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia