Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabound2012 View Post
When people say Northern Californians are not "friendly," what do they really mean?
Do you mean Northern Virginians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 AM

89 posts, read 179,092 times
Well, I was born and raised in Northern Virginia. I spent most of my time in Ashburn (1988-2010) and just moved to Gainesville in 2010. This area, particularly parents, are VERY cliqueish, I agree. But overall, I don't find this area to be so much more unfriendly than the rest of the country. A lot of it is based on what kind of neighborhood you live in.

Another poster said they're in Gainesville and they never see parents out playing, but in my Gainesville neighborhood, there are ALWAYS parents out, to the point of if I just wanna sit outside and read a book and keep an eye on my kids, it's not possible, because there are always neighbors having friendly chit-chat and people walking with their kids and dogs saying hi. But, there are also a lot of SAHMs here, there are no language barrier issues, and all the kids are elementary and younger. I can imagine if the community I lived were working parents or singles working 12+ hour days, or there were several houses with different cultures and/or languages, and the children ranged from babies to teenagers, we might not all be so social.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
When people say Northern Virginians are not "friendly," what do they really mean?
1. Unfriendly to the point of rude and yelling at people, including in professional arenas, if they do not like something?
or 2. Just so busy with their own lives that they do not stop to have casual conversations and "smell the roses"?
Definitely more of the former inside the beltway, and more of the latter outside the beltway. And this applies to all three places in the DMV. Although to be honest, the transplants tend to not show their rudeness overtly, but by passive aggressive means (cutting off other drivers, rolling of the eyes, looking down on others, etc). But overall, the area is very impersonal, and it doesn't help that there are an abundance of people who are only stuck in the DC area due to the awful economy everywhere else.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM

43 posts, read 68,377 times
What is the "beltway"? Would Manassas and Woodbridge be inside or outside of it?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
What is the "beltway"? Would Manassas and Woodbridge be inside or outside of it?
The Capital Beltway. And Manassas and Woodbridge would be outside of it.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
The beltway is Interstate 495 that circles the city. On the eastern side of the city 495 is also called I-95 which is a major North/South artery on the East Coast.

If you look at a map, you will see it.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Wikipedia has a pretty decent explanation of the "Capital Beltway."

Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Angry Northern Virginia

I'm not surprised this topic was brought up...I know N. VA since the late 60's.? People that move here-for work-and the workforce is cut throat. I've lost several great friends that scratched the walls to leave our area. The weekend warrior mentality is everywhere-and is a terrible way to view our beautiful area. I'm concerned about my older parents on the roads around here-tail gaiting and intimidation by WOMEN in trucks, of all things, is common. I lived outside NYC for a few years and this place seemed refreshing-but, the unhealthy attitudes in what was an adorable, friendly town seem to be re-zoned and/or moved on. I'm leaving the area again, for a geographic cure(break) and basically the poor hiring for nurses-since the employers have several HUNDRED applications for any position posted. This area is not a place to retire-and the long, unhappy faces that never wave or offer a smile is just a downer. I love Virginia-not the transients that invaded the area-

Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Ok.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
I don't buy it. I'm friendly as crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia