Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amopower View Post
I know it's an old thread, but I have a question on this topic. I was just rejected in VA for a state inspection due to a missing battery hold down. I cannot find in the regulations where this is a required check they should be performing. Can anyone prove that this is a required item for the state inspection? (not opinion, but rather a code citation or similar)
thanks

A quick look at the Inspection Manual and I didn't see anything about battery hold downs.

LIS > Administrative Code
(Chapter 70)

Virginia State Police's website lists this contact info:

phone: 804 674-6774
email: SAFETY@VSP.VIRGINIA.GOV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 78,049 times
Thanks, I have thoroughly researched the code too and could not find it. I am not saying I disagree about the hold down being a very good idea, but I do have major problems with the principle of being dinged on something that a mechanic "feels" like the law should cover, but doesn't, and they couldnt point it to me in their copy of the code either. Other states like Maryland actually list this as a requirement, VA does not.
I had a similar run-in with this place on simply *mounting* studded tires a few months ago. At that time I had to prove to them that they were in fact legal, and they even got one state trooper to agree with them, but he was overridden when I insisted and showed proof they were in fact legal, and they contacted another state trooper for verification.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amopower View Post
...I had a similar run-in with this place on simply *mounting* studded tires a few months ago. At that time I had to prove to them that they were in fact legal, and they even got one state trooper to agree with them, but he was overridden when I insisted and showed proof they were in fact legal, and they contacted another state trooper for verification.
Then why on earth would you return to this place?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Because it is the closest inspection station and I felt they had nothing to ding me on (when I read the inspection checklist and looked over the car myself a few days ago), but who would think to also check the "other" non-printed items these clowns come up with. Believe me, this IS the last time I go there.
I have no problem finding and installing the hold down, but it's the principle of the thing that really irritates me. People cant just come up with these random BS regulations in their head and not have fact to back them up.
I just hope the state inspection contact will get back to me soon before the 15 days is up. Reaffirmation from you guys is nice, but won't do me any good with Firestone. I am going to need state police backup.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
So, what you're saying is that a safety inspection isn't about making the car safe to drive. Isn't this the simples thing to fix?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm saying that if it's so important of a safety issue, why is it not written down in writing like the other 20-some points they check are? We can't let people make up rules as they go along.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

I found the citation, it was in a very appropriate place (insert sarcasm), under the emergency brake section.
LIS > Administrative Code > 19VAC30-70-90

Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,618 times
My daughter is is Military overseas. I have her car . Inspection has exspired? Can I take it to inspection/ I am in New Jersey.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
One common misconception is that it is legal to operate a car with a Rejection sticker for X number of days.........FALSE!

It is only legal to drive the car to where it will be repaired, and that's it.

The period of days is to have the car re-inspected (after repairs) without paying the inspection fee again.
In 1994 my 11 year old car failed the emissions inspection. I had to pay at least X amount of dollars to fix it. I paid, the fix didn't solve the problem, it passed inspection. Go figure.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
In 1994 my 11 year old car failed the emissions inspection. I had to pay at least X amount of dollars to fix it. I paid, the fix didn't solve the problem, it passed inspection. Go figure.

Well, it didn't really "pass"....you were granted a "waiver" after having paid whatever amount the law required you spend trying to get it to pass.

A waiver is good for two years just like a passed test is. What happened two years later....or did you still own the car?

IMO, the waiver seems to defeat the purpose of emissions testing...but the alternative is telling people they can no longer drive the car. However, in my experience, the repairs done trying to get a car to pass usually improve the emissions to a large extent, though not quite enough to pass. Did you compare the "before and after" test results on the printouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia