Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, nothing gets by you. Hey, I like your subtitle--I'll vote for you for Governor, especially if you get our metro rail completed.
Thanks. I'll complete your metro rail and get a rail system in Tidewater too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,986,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Better variety of foods in grocery stores, in fact better variety of all sorts of merchandise.
All of which reminds me, be sure to check out Grand Mart. It's in the Cedar Lake Plaza, next to IHOP (near intersection of Rt. 7 and Cedar, about a half mile west of Fairfax County Parkway.) This is a wonderful ethnic supermarket. It doesn't look impressive from the street, but it's definitely worthwhile. Not only is the quality great but it's also cheap and it's always fresh. Whole aisles of sauces (20+ varieties of oyster sauce, for example, and better prices than what you can find at Wegman's). Every variety of rice imaginable. Fresh bread from Shilla. All kinds of exotic ingredients. And where else can you get a HUGE bunch of fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley for 99 cents?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What do you think seriously about the immigrant domination of Northern VA?
I think you have too much time on your hands.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,828 times
Alanboy, haha, forgot about Dingler. Did he finally leave voluntarily or was he blocked?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM

131 posts, read 426,698 times
So my understanding of your point is this:

Basically people generally stick to making friends with people of their own race. And through this logic, the midwest its beneficial for white people since the midwest is majority white, you have the choice to make friends with a large pool of white people. But, if you're not white in the midwest, you are severely limiting your pool of friends.

In northern virginia, white people have a smaller pool of friends to make relative to the midwest, so the midwest is better. A chinese person would also have a small pool, but much larger then in the midwest, so NOVA is better. However, it would be mosts beneficial for the chinese person to move to china, where the vast majority of the population is han chinese.

Taking this logic to the extreme, everyone should just move back to "their country" or we should split up the US so that there's one state for white people, one state for black people, one state or turkish people, etc, and everyone would be better off.

But somehow, I think this logic is very flawed.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Alanboy, haha, forgot about Dingler. Did he finally leave voluntarily or was he blocked?
Well, his profile is active (unused since 08) but i've seen him (or similar posters ) popping up in a few other user names.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times
Exclamation OK now...

If there is a concern about members creating duplicate IDs, please DM a moderator or report the post. Otherwise, please do not post any accusing or assuming messages.

Thank you.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,921,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post

Basically people generally stick to making friends with people of their own race. And through this logic, the midwest its beneficial for white people since the midwest is majority white, you have the choice to make friends with a large pool of white people. But, if you're not white in the midwest, you are severely limiting your pool of friends.

In northern virginia, white people have a smaller pool of friends to make relative to the midwest, so the midwest is better. A chinese person would also have a small pool, but much larger then in the midwest, so NOVA is better. However, it would be mosts beneficial for the chinese person to move to china, where the vast majority of the population is han chinese.

Taking this logic to the extreme, everyone should just move back to "their country" or we should split up the US so that there's one state for white people, one state for black people, one state or turkish people, etc, and everyone would be better off.

This seems very logic...If this was suburban Maryland.

See, here in Northern VA, we have a thing called "genuinely & affably integrated" diversity, unlike the fickle "feel good/for show" diversity you see in many liberal places (like that state across the Potomac River). You know, where people from different races actually socialize with each other, i.e. hang out, date, hook-up, and marry those outside of their race. So even though in most of the country, diversity does limit one's options, here in Northern VA, if anything, the "diversity" exponentially increases options of people to hang out with.

And to the people who don't like affable integration, there's Maryland to the north, DC to the east, RoVA (rest of Virginia) to the south, and West Virginia to the west. There are plenty of options for the "typical" American; a lot more than what us "genuine integration-lovers" have.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 AM

943 posts, read 3,164,737 times
Default Ethnic Groups in NOVA basically stick with each of their own, so there is no true diversity

Yes, that is what I have been saying seriously. The ethnic diversity is all interesting but it has created a balkanized society because each group basically just ignores the other now that the are _________ Americans here in such large numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 AM

34 posts, read 102,460 times
If I were new to a foreign country and I met someone who spoke my language and practiced my customs, it would only be natural that I would talk to them, see what they're like, maybe become friends. If I can't communicate freely with people, how would I strike up a conversation? If my culture tells me that you should look people in the eye when you talk to them and the new culture says that this is rude and disrespectful, wouldn't I be uncomfortable and nervous about presenting myself in the best way to my new neighbors?

I think that these are all no-brainers and just because you move to a new place doesn't mean you're suddenly going to stop eating the food you've always enjoyed or living the way you've always lived. Fitting in doesn't necessarily mean giving up who you are and people who don't realize this seem to be xenophobes IMO.

Do other posters agree that MD is different than VA in their diversity? We're still trying to pick where to live and this would make a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia