Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating to NoVA with our two dogs, who are like kids to us, and we're trying to find the right city for our fam. We'd prefer to live in a town/city with affordable housing, low crime, decent air quality, and within commuting distance of DC or any larger VA cities where we might find work in the tech industry. Not much to ask for, right. We don't have kid-kids so we're mostly focused on finding a dog-friendly city where we can find a house with a fenced backyard. I'd appreciate any advice. Oh, and are there cockroaches there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xickel View Post
We're considering relocating to NoVA with our two dogs, who are like kids to us, and we're trying to find the right city for our fam. We'd prefer to live in a town/city with affordable housing, low crime, decent air quality, and within commuting distance of DC or any larger VA cities where we might find work in the tech industry. Not much to ask for, right. We don't have kid-kids so we're mostly focused on finding a dog-friendly city where we can find a house with a fenced backyard. I'd appreciate any advice. Oh, and are there cockroaches there?
I like Vienna myself.
Yes, cockroaches are here, but not necessarily everywhere. It depends on the upkeep of the property.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
What do you consider affordable housing? There are many areas that would fit your wish list but we need to know your budget first

Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
What do you consider affordable housing? There are many areas that would fit your wish list but we need to know your budget first
Be it renting or buying, we'd probably prefer to keep our monthly payments below $1500. We could go higher but that depends on how quickly we rent our house where we now live (Tucson).

Old 06-07-2009, 05:56 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,033 times
I think most of NOVA is dog friendly. There are areas that have dog parks. A lot of places with backyards. Not sure you can buy something with a backyard in that price range. You may luck up further down towards Woodbridge, Fredericksburg or something.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 AM

219 posts, read 877,667 times
I'm pretty sure Arlington alone has 7 dog parks! I'm moving to the area with my dog this summer and have gotten some good feedback from dogowners in the area. I've seen several townhomes that have small fenced patio's/backyard areas.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,666 times
what is commuting distance? i live 58 miles from work one way, and the joy of living here in madison va, are no locked doors of any kind is needed, no leash law for dogs, most people are nice. fresh air,farm land, mtn views everywhere. i would say any place west of manassas va, like front royal-linden is great but down 29 like warrenton,culpepper va, they are all like 1 hour from fairfax county. btw i grew up in nova and it has become a cesspool of mean people all in a hurry going nowwhere.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xickel View Post
Be it renting or buying, we'd probably prefer to keep our monthly payments below $1500. We could go higher but that depends on how quickly we rent our house where we now live (Tucson).
I just got back from taking our beagle/bassett to the dog park in Annandale. (He was thrilled as he had three other beagles to play with this afternoon.)

Here's a link to the Fairfax County dog parks:
Off-leash Dog Area, Fairfax County Park Authority

Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
I would estimate that 50 percent of single-family homes in NoVA have dogs. Leash laws are the rule, and picking up after your dog is encouraged, if not required. Dogs are not allowed on school property (health reasons). Dog parks and walking trails are everywhere. Define all this as dog friendly or not--as you wish.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I second the post by statecollege, and will strenghten the issue on leashing. I have to say that almost everyone leases their dogs. I moved here from Texas, where it was normal to have your dog running around loose (which I hated, by the way). If you're used to having your dog off-leash, that would be the only consideration. Otherwise, people here have lots of dogs and there are a lot of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia