Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,173,925 times

Advertisements

A neighbor of ours teaches there and really likes it. I asked her if the bad reputation is deserved, and she said absolutely not. I trust her not to BS me (we're nowhere near the district line), so I'm just throwing this out there. I'm glad people who have actual experience with the school have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
I'm hesitant to write on a dormant thread, but since it was already revived, I feel less guilty...

Our son goes to LJMS. It was not by our choice but rather an accidental decision last year when we moved from the midwest. Overall, I would say that's a great school. Without knowing the history and reputation, we were OK about sending him there last year, but had we read some early postings on this thread back then, we might have avoided this school and this school boundary at all costs. Who would be OK about sending their kids to school full of "gang?" So, I am glad that I did not see this thread.

The racial profile, as mentioned above, 26 Asian, 7 Black, 29 Hispanic, 33 White, I would say that will be pretty much the racial profile of America in general in 2030 or so (possibly more Hispanics than 29, though), when these kids become the main force of America. So, it shouldn't be too bad to experience that early on.

I have to say the reference to "gang" is more judgmental than factual, but the school does have some interesting mix of students---again, not necessarily bad---because the school boundary is rather unusual. It stretches far east and west--from Falls Church (not the City of F.C.) with relatively higher concentration of Hispanics and blue collars, to Oakton and parts of Vienna and Fairfax with the opposite socioeconomic spectrum. It seems that most students in GT are from the western side.

The school's music program is wonderful, too, although our experience is limited to their orchestra.

One more thing to point out---LJMS has been very strong in the Science Olympiad competition in recent years. Last May, they were the 2nd in the State competition at Virginia Tech (the 1st place went to ..... Longfellow...you might love to (or hate to) hear that, depending on where you are....).... Not that this matters with regard to the general atmosphere of the school, at least this information gives you a different flavor from a school filled with gangs, right?
I remember your posts from last year when you were having the issues with the student registration process for FCPS. Glad it worked out OK.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM

274 posts, read 705,885 times
Apart from this thread which I didn't read until today, I have heard the reputation of "gang school" here and there and that got me upset. So I just couldn't pass by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I remember your posts from last year when you were having the issues with the student registration process for FCPS. Glad it worked out OK.
Thanks for remembering. I learned to be patient.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 PM

57 posts, read 125,628 times
I have a child who just finished at LJMS. He could have gone to Thoreau, but we went with Jackson. He loved it there. Now I have another middle schooler heading there. Since I already had a child at LJ, many parents asked my thoughts on the choice between LJ and Thoreau. I feel very positive about LJ, but I did not want to unfairly influence. So I arranged to informal coffee times for parents who were considering sending their child to LJ (deciding beween LJ and Thoreau) and parents who already had kids at LJ. I have been very happy with LJ...caring administration, helpful staff, great AAP program, but WOW, when we put 10-12 LJ AAP parents in a room, they are convincing. After listening to current LJ parents and meeting the LJ AAP teachers, just about ALL the kids from the AAP program at my child's elementary school are going on to LJ.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times
In the earlier posters' defense, this thread was started in 2009. LJ has changed a bit in the past 4 years with AAP being built up and more Vienna students going there. Not saying it was necessarily bad back then, because I don't really know, but there are more higher income and higher-achieving students there than there used to be, and I think its reputation is only improving. Plus that area is getting a facelift, which is probably also contributing to people being less hesitant about going there.

Mosby Woods Elementary also used to have a poor reputation and I used to regularly hear about "gangs" and people avoiding the school - this was about 6-7 years ago. Then AAP showed up and the school's reputation has turned around. And Marshall High School had a reputation about 13 years ago when I first moved to Vienna. There had been some "gang" incident there, I believe. Now its reputation has improved as well.

All this to say that schools' repuations change all the time, programs are added in and out, principals change, neighborhoods change, etc. So it's best to visit in person, talk to current parents, staff, etc. before deciding on whether a school is right for you.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 AM

136 posts, read 223,185 times
Does anyone know whether the improvement in LJ's reputation has spilled over to Falls Church HS? I feel like FCHS has always had a bad reputation (worse than LJ's).

Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Does anyone know whether the improvement in LJ's reputation has spilled over to Falls Church HS? I feel like FCHS has always had a bad reputation (worse than LJ's).
If the "improvement in LJ's reputation" is due in part to the AAP program, then it's unlikely all of that would inure to Falls Church HS's benefit, since many of the AAP kids at LJ are zoned for Oakton and Madison HS, not Falls Church HS. But the strong program at LJ certainly is not a negative for FCHS.

The redevelopment of the Mosaic District area and the increasing popularity of some of the close-in neighborhoods assigned to FCHS like Greenway Downs are positives for the school. Another plus is the recent opening of a brand-new elementary school, Mason Crest, in the area, which people seem to be really excited about. But FCHS itself is in poor physical condition, while some of its neighboring schools (Woodson and Marshall) were recently renovated, or are being renovated now. That has tended to foster a perception that FCPS has neglected the school. In FCHS's case, it would be a big plus if FCPS could find a way to renovate the school earlier than currently scheduled.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 AM

136 posts, read 223,185 times
Thanks. I figured the new developments would help the area, considering the townhouses go for more than $800k, but didn't know about the new elementary school.

I know that perceptions take some time to change, but when I was growing up, Marshall also had a pretty bad reputation and now it's considered one of the best schools in the area. I'm hopeful that the same can happen with FCHS, but it's had a negative reputation for as long as I can remember. But then again, so did Luther Jackson, and it seems like that's changing now.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 505 times
It makes me laugh that all these posts are from 2009. I'm currently enrolled in LJMS and I will tell you that things have definitely changed if what the 2009 people say is in fact true. For one, there are no more gangs and the majority of the kids at the school are nice to each other. One of the main reasons I went to LJ instead of Thoreau is because of their diverse environment and teachers. The AAP program that I'm currently in really pushes me to my limits and includes enjoyable activities to do. The school itself has a strong grip on the students to make sure they don't miss out on class or do anything that may negatively affect their future. Some of my favorite classes are math, science, english, engineering, family and consumer sciences, computer solutions, and, even though I haven't taken it but all my friends tell me it's fun, theater.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,900,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max W. View Post
It makes me laugh that all these posts are from 2009. I'm currently enrolled in LJMS and I will tell you that things have definitely changed if what the 2009 people say is in fact true. For one, there are no more gangs and the majority of the kids at the school are nice to each other. One of the main reasons I went to LJ instead of Thoreau is because of their diverse environment and teachers. The AAP program that I'm currently in really pushes me to my limits and includes enjoyable activities to do. The school itself has a strong grip on the students to make sure they don't miss out on class or do anything that may negatively affect their future. Some of my favorite classes are math, science, english, engineering, family and consumer sciences, computer solutions, and, even though I haven't taken it but all my friends tell me it's fun, theater.

Max, you could sub the words "Falls Church High" for LJ and that would be perfectly accurate too.

I really dislike the whole Middle School set up in FCPS. It sucks to have 10 schools feed into middle, you make friends and have terrific experiences, like Theatre, together, then the school and your relationships break up into different high schools.

My friends love FCHS because, as a small school, you can get into any extracurruricula you like, even Football! Plus there was a rash of suicides and other issues at Woodson and my friends were relieved to not deal with that. Some families kept their parochial kids at the Diocesan High Schools because they were zoned Woodson when problems were at their worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia