Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 AM

353 posts, read 905,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The way the title issuance works is very simple.

Let's use ScranBarre as an example....When he registers his car in Virginia, he must APPLY for a VA title and pay the title fee of $10. BUT, if Scran does not turn in his PA title for any reason....lender has it, it's lost, or he simply wants to keep the PA title, whatever.....then VA DMV puts a "Held for PA title" notation on the Virginia vehicle record.

If he EVER wants the VA title...even many years from now....he has to turn in that PA title into DMV and they will shoot out the VA title and hand it to him.

I actually like that system....some states will make you go through the hassle of getting your lienholder to mail them the title before they'll issue plates for your car. Virginia will issue plates based on the previous state registration only....but if you ever want the VA title you applied for, you have to come up with the previous state's title....
Thank you. I just registered my car and I was wondering why they gave me a letter requesting the title when the finance company has it, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 PM

105 posts, read 199,820 times
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to move to NoVA sometime in August. I'm really confused about the DMV (among other things). Here's my situation; what steps (other than changing my PA license) do I need to take?
1. Driving a car currently financed
2. Loan is NOT in my name; it's my mother's car but we're on the same insurance policy
3. My mother is NOT moving to NoVA with me.

Since she's legally a PA resident, I can't change the registration on the car until the the loan is paid/title is transfered, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starletta8 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to move to NoVA sometime in August. I'm really confused about the DMV (among other things). Here's my situation; what steps (other than changing my PA license) do I need to take?
2. Loan is NOT in my name; it's my mother's car but we're on the same insurance policy

Since she's legally a PA resident, I can't change the registration on the car until the the loan is paid/title is transfered, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Not to frighten or discourage you, but moving to Virginia from another state is generally a very unpleasant experience if you have to deal with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles on a semi-frequent basis. I have now been to the Sterling Park DMV twice and have to return yet another time at some point this week---this time due to an asinine new policy enacted by VA that forces newcomers to go to the notary to prove that they paid their sales tax on their vehicle in another state. Each time I've gone the line has snaked out the door because Virginia apparently doesn't realize that the last thing people want to do after getting up at 5 AM for work is to stand in line for an hour at the DMV before sitting down and waiting again!

The first time I went was about a week-and-a-half ago. All of the forms of identification I had with me---birth certificate, copy of lease agreement, conditional employment offer, voter registration card, selective service registration, yada, yada, yada---were "insufficient" the first time, so after waiting in line for an hour I was sent home, annoyed. I moved to Virginia in mid-May. You are supposed to be fully transitioned over to VA by 30 days after your move-in date. Since I don't receive my first utility bill until July, couldn't present a signed statement from my apartment complex to the DMV as "evidence" of me living here, couldn't obtain the original copy of my lease agreement (they won't give those to you), etc., etc. I had to wait until THIS MORNING to finally go back to the DMV with my pay stub from yesterday in order to prove to them, finally, that I DO live in Virginia, even though it has now been past that 1-month deadline.

I got my license photo taken today, and the lady kept yelling at me for "smiling"---apparently in Virginia you have to scowl when you get your license photo taken now (probably to indicate to the officer that pulls you over that you indeed had to endure the not-so-happy DMV experience). I have to go to a notary now with my receipt/bill of sale from my PA car dealer to have something "official" to give to the DMV in order to prove to the state of Virginia that I've paid my sales tax on my car (even though I had offered to make them a copy of the receipt and bill of sale I was flopping down in front of them that CLEARLY SHOWED the $900+ sales tax I paid to PA back in April!)

I had my VA emissions/safety inspections done last week at Lake Anne Chevron in Reston. It came out to a little over $40. Today the driver's license cost $32. I'm wondering how much of a beating I'll be taking now from having to go to the notary to satisfy this stupid new policy the state has in effect---what right does Virginia have to recoup sales tax from vehicles purchased months ago in other states, anyways!?

In short, here's what I would recommend:

1.) If you purchased your vehicle within the past 12 months go to a VA notary and have them verify that you indeed paid state sales tax on your vehicle or else Virginia will whammy you and demand that you pay THEM the sales tax, regardless of where you purchased the vehicle.

2.) Go to a VA service station and get your safety/emissions inspections done. It takes about 10-15-minutes at most stations and will cost you around $40. They will put the green sticker in the middle of your windshield and instruct you to remove your PA stickers as soon as you get your VA plates.

3.) Bring along a copy of your first pay stub OR a utility bill to the DMV, along with your birth certificate and your current license. If you're like me and don't get your first pay stub or utility bill within one month of moving here, then just disregard the 1-month "rule" because it is meant to be broken if the state is this unreasonable about letting you try to prove your residency here. I was also told I could bring them an envelope with an official USPS forwarding address label attached to it, but since my prior household in PA had a relative with the same exact name I could NOT forward my mail.

Godspeed, young grasshopper!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:43 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
.....I got my license photo taken today, and the lady kept yelling at me for "smiling"---apparently in Virginia you have to scowl when you get your license photo taken now (probably to indicate to the officer that pulls you over that you indeed had to endure the not-so-happy DMV experience)......

Dude, this has been ALL OVER the news media! Virginia is transitioning to a much more secure drivers' license that includes "computer recognition" technology.

Apparently, this technology works best with a normal expression on the subject's face...not scowling....not smiling, and especially no teeth showing.

This is all part of "RealID"....more lunacy from the folks at "Homeland Security". It will eventually be implemented in all 50 States.

DMV's nationwide, even in States that you consider to be far superior to VA, will be telling drivers' license applicants not to smile as their photos are taken.

Do try to keep up, eh?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Dude, this has been ALL OVER the news media! Virginia is transitioning to a much more secure drivers' license that includes "computer recognition" technology.

Apparently, this technology works best with a normal expression on the subject's face...not scowling....not smiling, and especially no teeth showing.

This is all part of "RealID"....more lunacy from the folks at "Homeland Security". It will eventually be implemented in all 50 States.

DMV's nationwide, even in States that you consider to be far superior to VA, will be telling drivers' license applicants not to smile as their photos are taken.

Do try to keep up, eh?
How cold and impersonal! So now both my Federal CAC smart card AND VA driver's license will have me looking like I'm constipated!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:

Do try to keep up, eh?
I also wanted to add that both times I went to the DMV it was the best DMV experience I've had hands-down. Both times I was in and out in under an hour (a friday afternoon and a saturday morning), the woman was actually nice and helpful, and their system of making you line up first to make sure you have all the right paperwork before getting a number works quite well. Far superior to other DMV experiences I've had
And the VA DMV website does make it quite clear what paperwork is needed for processes, mine was just a little complicated b/c my car is registered to 2 people, one of which doesn't live here (so it then required a copy of their SSN card and driver's license, which was faxed directly to the DMV)

Old 06-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I also wanted to add that both times I went to the DMV it was the best DMV experience I've had hands-down. Both times I was in and out in under an hour (a friday afternoon and a saturday morning), the woman was actually nice and helpful, and their system of making you line up first to make sure you have all the right paperwork before getting a number works quite well. Far superior to other DMV experiences I've had
And the VA DMV website does make it quite clear what paperwork is needed for processes, mine was just a little complicated b/c my car is registered to 2 people, one of which doesn't live here (so it then required a copy of their SSN card and driver's license, which was faxed directly to the DMV)

Folks that gripe the most about DMV are almost always the ones that showed up without the required documentation. Checking the website beforehand is just too much trouble, I guess...

Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starletta8 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Then you'll have to register the car in your mother's name down here. Just mail her the application to sign and probably proof of her social. Be sure that the insurance on the car is through a company licensed to do business in VA (all the big ones are).

Registration laws are usually based on where the vehicle IS...not who owns it. Virginia is far from unique in this regard. If a vehicle is adding wear and tear to a State's roads....said State wants some money!

Years ago, tractors trailers used to have a dozen or more license plates on the front bumper....one from each State that the truck operated in. It's the same principle.... (a new system called IRP replaced the the multiple plates....but each State that a truck operates in still gets a share of the registration fees paid by the truck owner)

Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Then you'll have to register the car in your mother's name down here. Just mail her the application to sign and probably proof of her social. Be sure that the insurance on the car is through a company licensed to do business in VA (all the big ones are).

Registration laws are usually based on where the vehicle IS...not who owns it. Virginia is far from unique in this regard. If a vehicle is adding wear and tear to a State's roads....said State wants some money!

Years ago, tractors trailers used to have a dozen or more license plates on the front bumper....one from each State that the truck operated in. It's the same principle.... (a new system called IRP replaced the the multiple plates....but each State that a truck operates in still gets a share of the registration fees paid by the truck owner)
You can't just register a car that's not previously in your name (as primary or co-owner) in someone else's name in VA. You'd have to be put on the title w/ your mother in PA first (I don't think this should be a problem regardless of financing but I'm not 100% sure). You would then have to register the car in VA with you as the primary owner and your mother as the co-owner. She would need to sign the application (can be found on the website) and you would need copies of her social security card and driver's license. You will obviously also have to show proof of residency in VA as well. It's not that complicated but I had to go back twice because the person my dad talked to about the exact same situation neglected to mention needing copies of his drivers license, etc even though he specifically said he lived out of state.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
You can't just register a car that's not previously in your name (as primary or co-owner) in someone else's name in VA. You'd have to be put on the title w/ your mother in PA first (I don't think this should be a problem regardless of financing but I'm not 100% sure). You would then have to register the car in VA with you as the primary owner and your mother as the co-owner. She would need to sign the application (can be found on the website) and you would need copies of her social security card and driver's license. You will obviously also have to show proof of residency in VA as well. It's not that complicated but I had to go back twice because the person my dad talked to about the exact same situation neglected to mention needing copies of his drivers license, etc even though he specifically said he lived out of state.

You need the title to add or remove an owner. I'm talking about leaving the ownership in mom's name only. Starletta should only need the current PA registration, emissions, app signed by mom, and (probably) proof of her (mom's) social.

Unless something has changed very recently, you do NOT need proof of residency to register a vehicle....proof of residency is only required for a VA drivers license.....which, of course, mom doesn't need, because she lives in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia