Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM

154 posts, read 374,128 times

Advertisements

Valid points made by everyone but I will offer the best advice of all. Give up now and make a decision to ignore other bad and inconsiderate drivers. Let it go. It's the price of doing business i.e. driving on a public road. A certain percentage of people are going to be idiots every day no matter what. It's a given. Choose to ignore it. Drive respectfully and do what you got to do - but do not take anything personally. Because it is not personal. You will live a far more happy and relaxed life if you make a conscious effort to ignore idiotic, dangerous and disrespectful drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 PM

56 posts, read 134,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
Valid points made by everyone but I will offer the best advice of all. Give up now and make a decision to ignore other bad and inconsiderate drivers. Let it go. It's the price of doing business i.e. driving on a public road. A certain percentage of people are going to be idiots every day no matter what. It's a given. Choose to ignore it. Drive respectfully and do what you got to do - but do not take anything personally. Because it is not personal. You will live a far more happy and relaxed life if you make a conscious effort to ignore idiotic, dangerous and disrespectful drivers.
Seriously, this poster is the NoVa Buddha here on this. You won't be able to change it, getting mad about doesn't hurt anyone but you, and if you do start something stupid like a finger-waving contest, you're the aggressor, not the dimwit you're mad about.

If this is the worst problem you're faced with during the day, your life is pretty damn good.

just my $0.02

Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
I have seen stickers that you can put on your front windshield visor area that says "Move over ----->" spelled in reverse so that it can be read from the other drivers rear-view mirror.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,895 times
Left lane hoggers are the worst. My husband and I go back to PA once a month or so and we take 66 to 495. We get on 66 in Manassas, and from there all the way up to 495, there is always a LLH (left lane hog). Every time. Mostly, we stay in the middle two lanes, but we always pass the slowbie in the left lane.

Just this past Friday night we were going about 65-70mph on 66 and we flew past a LLH going about 50. The car behind him was flashing his high beams and the slow driver did nothing to move over. We noticed that the other driver behind him eventually cut him off.

You have to realize if people are cutting you off left and right, flashing beams/honking their horn, constantly passing you, or if you see a trail of cars following you -- you just may be going a tad too slow.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Left lane hoggers are the worst. My husband and I go back to PA once a month or so and we take 66 to 495. We get on 66 in Manassas, and from there all the way up to 495, there is always a LLH (left lane hog). Every time. Mostly, we stay in the middle two lanes, but we always pass the slowbie in the left lane.

Just this past Friday night we were going about 65-70mph on 66 and we flew past a LLH going about 50. The car behind him was flashing his high beams and the slow driver did nothing to move over. We noticed that the other driver behind him eventually cut him off.

You have to realize if people are cutting you off left and right, flashing beams/honking their horn, constantly passing you, or if you see a trail of cars following you -- you just may be going a tad too slow.
Haha...when I get the road ragin' from these encounters, sometimes I want to pull in front of them and slow down to about half the speed limit so they get a clue. But, by the time I get by them, I no longer care and just continue on my way. One of these times

Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Haha...when I get the road ragin' from these encounters, sometimes I want to pull in front of them and slow down to about half the speed limit so they get a clue. But, by the time I get by them, I no longer care and just continue on my way. One of these times
3 years ago when I was living in NoVA I was going to work by driving the Fairfax County Parkway, I was driving on the left lane, the speed limit is 50, I usually drive 60, much like the rest of the traffic (I refuse to do 70 or over on the road, as that would mean a reckless driving ticket), anyway I get to a point where there is a LLH, I drive maybe for 10 seconds like that, the person does not move other, so I flash my lights. Then the LLH gives me the finger, I get pissed, pass him on the right, going up to 65 at one point, make a point of passing him, getting on front of him, then slowing down to 50 or so and returning the favor, then slowing down by letting go of all the pedals, I knew there is a truck going 45-50 or so at the right lane up ahead, I could see the LLH was thinking of doing the same, I speed up just enough to make sure there is no gap between me and truck, and make a point of passing it at the slowest imaginable rate. Then eventually people started piling up, I felt bad for them, luckily the now former LLH got the point and got behind the truck. Then I sped up to 60 and let traffic go through.

If there is a large gap in front of me, regardless of where I'm driving, if the driver behind me is tailing me, or wants to go faster then, I will move over if there is a gap. If there is no gap, if there is a car in front of me, or if I'm driving on the right lane I won't. In the first situation I'll move over at the first gap. In the 2nd situation it would be stupid to do anything, and on the 3rd situation you tail me for long enough when there are 4 other clear lanes you are just being a jerk, I don't care if you have a right turn, or an exit coming up, tailing on the right lane when other lanes are clear is being a jerk.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
They're not thinking big picture. It's just "I have to get down the road and here's a lane...dum dee dum..."
I really can't stop laughing at this. Thanks for the smile.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
I've always thought it would be cool to outfit my car with missiles to solve this problem. My car could be dubbed the Nebatmobile. Of course fantasy and reality rarely mix well together. Oh well, I can still dream.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
This problem exists everywhere in the US because the police only enforce some of the laws. The irony is that the police could rake in just as much fine revenue, probably more, than they do with HOV and speed enforcement, if they'd just go after the LLH's. And they'd make the road safer and reduce congestion too. Makes too much sense for it to ever happen. Try this LLH stuff in Europe and you'll get a nasty ticket, if not license suspension.

In CA it's legal for motorcycles to lane split, which makes it soooo nice when you come up on a LLH. I love to give them a throttle blast of the loud pipes as I pass them quickly.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I say we make it legal to NASCAR-nudge these a-holes into the median.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia