Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

413 posts, read 1,166,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What's your point?
My point is that $40k in Nova is slummin' it like I stated in my prior post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,770,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
My point is that $40k in Nova is slummin' it like I stated in my prior post.
Please define "slummin it." I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but I'm honestly not familiar with that term.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM

413 posts, read 1,166,651 times
Quote:
Please define "slummin it." I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but I'm honestly not familiar with that term.
  • Main Entry: slum
  • Pronunciation: \ˈsləm\
  • Function: noun
  • Usage: often attributive
  • Etymology: origin unknown
  • Date: 1825
: a densely populated usually urban area marked by crowding, dirty run-down housing, poverty, and social disorganization

source: slum - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM

715 posts, read 2,089,666 times
Quote:
Well if you're a dually-employed couple that's only making $40,000 combined, then that's nearly unheard of. I don't even think most of the fast food/grocery workers here make under $20,000/year. Hell, I was making near that working retail in college in a MUCH less affluent area.
I said "single income," not "dual employed."

Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM

715 posts, read 2,089,666 times
Quote:
...and whining about "struggling" at $300,000 is equally worth of malign, as has been evidenced by this article. Come to think of it, the newspaper really did get what it wanted from this story---publicity.
Someone who's making $300k could easily get rid of their assets and reduce their standard of living and would still be getting $300k.

Someone making $40k has much less flexibility, especially if they are getting by frugally with the bare essentials.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,770,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
  • Main Entry: slum
  • Pronunciation: \ˈsləm\
  • Function: noun
  • Usage: often attributive
  • Etymology: origin unknown
  • Date: 1825
: a densely populated usually urban area marked by crowding, dirty run-down housing, poverty, and social disorganization

source: slum - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
I'm not living nearly in any such condition at my income level. Reston may not be the ideal place to live if you're not a family-oriented person, but it's pretty much the closest into the city many of us can afford to live on our own.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,771,590 times
The Post has gone downhill with all their budget cuts. Lots of junk written by interns trying to become the next celebrity journalist.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM

8,991 posts, read 21,213,024 times
Everyone's preferences and households are different, I'll grant you. FWIW, my opinion is that a single person who wants to live like, say, the characters on "Friends" (i.e. eat out more than at home, enjoy non-VIP service at the clubs, travel occasionally, comfortable with an apartment lifestyle) would do well around these parts with $60K, give or take the size of the car note and student loans (or lack thereof). $40K is doable but it does require some frugality and self-compromise.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM

15,450 posts, read 25,897,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Truth be told that in the NoVA area, a $40k salary is hard to get by on regardless of how frugal you are, and for sure, will be even tougher if married (single income) with kids.

Cost of living here, such as buying a home, is just too expensive.

That's just reality.
Don't I know it. I have a wife and 3 kids and we live on approx. $50k a year. Granted, we currently live in MD, but cost of living is similar there.

However, my point was, that to most of the world, we are rich. Nothing wrong with that, but they would judge me, the same way some are judging the $300k lady, if I started whining like she did. To us this $300k woman is nuts for complaining, and we would be right, but she doesn't see it the same way. That's the same way that most of the world would look at us if we started whining about how little money we make, but apparently some of us can't see how they sound like that woman. To most of the world, living on $40k is not "frugal" living.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,698,181 times
Everybody says the $300K lady is "whining"....I just re-read the article and just can't find it. Can anybody cite a passage where she whines? I think the woman was just relating to the reporter the realities of her life nowadays.

And hey folks, this article is part of a series. A week or so ago, they ran an article about an unemployed Ohio woman that packed up her old truck and moved to North (or South?) Dakota to take a call center job. She bought a house trailer for $7500 that is 45 miles from the nearest store. Heck, she's so far out, her cell phone doesn't work.

What about her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia