Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
.... I'm "slumming it" with a $40,000 salary in Northern Virginia? I'm very happy with what I do for a living and take pride in my work. It's not my fault accountancy is a very underpaid profession in some parts of our nation and is rewarded accordingly in others.
Then why are you constantly complaining about your salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 27,764 times
Folks, I think all of us should feel lucky that we live in such a high-paying part of the country instead of always being jealous of the next guy because his house might be bigger pr he might drive a more expensive car. So what? Maybe that guy worked his way up there , and I speak from experience here. When you look around and see the big beautiful homes and nice cars in our area, it shouldn't make you unhappy, it should inspire you to make a success of your own life.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Stu View Post
Folks, I think all of us should feel lucky that we live in such a high-paying part of the country instead of always being jealous of the next guy because his house might be bigger pr he might drive a more expensive car. So what? Maybe that guy worked his way up there , and I speak from experience here. When you look around and see the big beautiful homes and nice cars in our area, it shouldn't make you unhappy, it should inspire you to make a success of your own life.
Well said! No one should expect to have all that at age 23, or even age 35! I know we sure didn't. If folks want those things, working hard for them is the answer! Anyone can make it in America, if they are willing to work hard enough and save hard enough.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Living comfortably with 41k/year salary?

Comfort is obviously relative.

You can't really knock on those whose lives have crashed due to the economy.

They did what they did in order to make the money to sustain their lavish lifestyles in the past. Obviously, the economy changed all that and they will need to adjust.

In this woman's case, a family tragedy, namely a divorce, contributed to their current situation.

I think you're better off not getting too hot and bothered over this article and use it as a lessons learned.

In any regard, I'm sure, as you say, that you're living comfortably at your salary, but when it comes time for you to find a mate, you may realize it's harder than you thought, especially around here. You're going to have to up your game.

Scranny comes from NE Pa where making $41 K is big bucks, so I can see why he thinks he can get by on that wage. I didn't start making decent money until I got my doctorate and started working for AUI (Associated Universities Inc.).

Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
That article was fascinating. It read like a novel. The only thing I couldn't figure out is what on earth possessed that woman to agree to open her life to a reporter and photographer.
Maybe she's hoping to sell the movie rights.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
That article was fascinating. It read like a novel. The only thing I couldn't figure out is what on earth possessed that woman to agree to open her life to a reporter and photographer.
Maybe she's hoping to sell the movie rights.
She's attractive enough to find another husband. Nice legs.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Just what percentage of dads leave the country to avoid paying child support? I've never known one, have you?

It's 75K now, but if Dad continues to climb the corporate ladder and his income rises, so will her child support.
If you don't know, then go find out.

I'm sure there are tax accountants out there to help him defer his income.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Then why are you constantly complaining about your salary?
I'm paid lower than most of my peers in the same profession. If I were compensated more equitably for the work I do, then I'd be less inclined to be so irritable about it. How would you feel if you and your best friend both graduated from college with your Bachelor's Degrees in Education, and you found out that your friend was receiving a starting salary $10,000 higher than yours to teach in the next town over to put in the same level of work and effort everyday? That doesn't seem "unfair" to you?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Scranny comes from NE Pa where making $41 K is big bucks, so I can see why he thinks he can get by on that wage. I didn't start making decent money until I got my doctorate and started working for AUI (Associated Universities Inc.).
At $41,000 at age 22 I'm already out-earning many 40-year-olds in Scranton. Yes, this IS a "lot of money" in my eyes, and I thank God I was able to land this job despite this incessant recession.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm paid lower than most of my peers in the same profession. If I were compensated more equitably for the work I do, then I'd be less inclined to be so irritable about it. How would you feel if you and your best friend both graduated from college with your Bachelor's Degrees in Education, and you found out that your friend was receiving a starting salary $10,000 higher than yours to teach in the next town over to put in the same level of work and effort everyday? That doesn't seem "unfair" to you?
Does your NEPA buddy work for a corporation, and did he negotiate his salary? Were you able to negotiate ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia