Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
The vast majority of these posts refer to people who have kids, and more often than not a wife who stays home, too. That is much different than the OP's situation here.

As to the OP - yes, you can do it, but don't have terribly high expectations for your living arrangements to start

Oh, and I agree, don't look to live by yourself in Claredon. But yeah, as a single person starting out, you can live off 35k and not be living paycheck to paycheck if you budget correctly. However, I don't think you need to be completely frugal either. Like I said, I was putting about 800 per month to rent and utilities when I started out but I was living with a roommate. I still took some trips, etc., just don't go out spending 50 bucks at the bar every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Oh, and I agree, don't look to live by yourself in Claredon. But yeah, as a single person starting out, you can live off 35k and not be living paycheck to paycheck if you budget correctly. However, I don't think you need to be completely frugal either. Like I said, I was putting about 800 per month to rent and utilities when I started out but I was living with a roommate. I still took some trips, etc., just don't go out spending 50 bucks at the bar every night.
Look at the budget I did - he wants to put 900 into rent (w/o utilities) and 300 into his car payment. He can do it but he won't have much money left for anything else. He just needs to really understand this if he is going to be putting more than 50% of his take home into the rent and car payments he is not going to have much money to spend for anything else after he pays the utilties and feeds himself.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
If I am looking at this chart correctly, it may qualify you for assistance in public housing

Public Housing Rental Program - FCRHA*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
It's not that bad. I started at 36k a few years back and did just fine. I was only paying $600 rent but with utilities came out to about $800 per month. I didn't have a car payment, but was paying $200 for student loans. I lived pretty comfortably with that salary and ended up leasing a new car within 9 months.

I see alot of posts on this forum that think you need to have $70,000 salaries to live in this area and I just can't understand where these people spend all their money.
Yeah back in 2002 I was only making 36k. I had an 1 bedroom apartment in Alexandria that was about 950. No car payment or credit card balances and no student loans. The utilities were about 300, but I didn't have TV. I did have internet and the basic cable that comes along with it (Cox cable). No landline, just a cell phone. If you don't eat out for lunch all the time, then you'll save a ton of cash. I'd make my own meals and eat in for lunch at work. Fridays were my cheat days and I'd go out with the coworkers for something. Apartment had a small gym, so no need for an extra gym membership. My Apartment had a small washer/dryer so I didn't have to go to a laundromat. All that and I was still able to contribute a meager amount into my 401k. I was only saving about 100-200 into my savings account though, but I was certainly not living paycheck to paycheck. So if you get a roommate, you'll certainly be able to live more comfortabley.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 AM

53 posts, read 171,728 times
It can be done! I am making a tad more than that and living in a basement apartment. Before I was with a roommate.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,791 times
I am in a very similar situation and I cant imagine making $18.50 an hour qualifies you for public housing that is insane. It just goes to show you how expensive it is to live there. Good luck and know that you wont be the only one trying to make it on that salary and not be in public housing.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,802 times
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. There is no way I can live in public housing I am going to ask for more and see what happens. $35k is a lot in other parts of the country its ashame it dosnt go very far in Nova.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinontovirginia08 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. There is no way I can live in public housing I am going to ask for more and see what happens. $35k is a lot in other parts of the country its ashame it dosnt go very far in Nova.
That's life in greater DC... and NYC... and Chicago, Seattle and much of coastal California, to give a few examples. In all those metros, people learn to adjust their expectations for the perceived benefits in living in those places. Here in NOVA, one could say the main benefits are a resilient, often booming job market as well as the opportunity to work in or with the Federal government.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM

230 posts, read 1,216,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinontovirginia08 View Post
I have been offered a job making $18.50 an hour which equals out to $35,520 before taxes. I have a car payment of $301.90 and I know you have to add in all of the other things life hands you (car ins., utilities, ect.) and looking to pay $900 on rent. I am single with no kids. I am going to be working in Reston and open to areas further out such as Woodbridge and Manassas. Would this be possible in this area? Or should I ask for more $$? Any advice will help.
Plenty of people do it. Then you can upgrade things appropriately as your income goes up over the years.

Matter of fact, one member of this forum may be of help to you. He lives in that Reston area, on a similar salary, rents his own apartment, and still has some spending money for his Audi lease and the occasional Starbucks mocha lattes. (grande though, not venti)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia