Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 PM

27 posts, read 71,401 times

Advertisements

My granddaughter has been begging for me to take her up to the mountains for a weekend. We didnt do it during the summer months, planning a fall trip. Figure the weather will be cooler and more enjoyable.

When I talked to someone at the hotel in Winchester (found one pretty reasonable with indoor pool, fridge/microwave in room and continental breakfast) they were telling me about the Balloon Festival they have up in that area. http://www.historiclongbranch.com/balloonfest/index.htm

Also, I found the Discovery Museum (Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum) that I am planning on taking my granddaughter to. She loves science and all, she is 10yo. Wondering how good this place is. Looking for more to do around Winchester as well.

Our plan is to drive out of Alexandria and head up I-66. Debating on going to Front Royal and driving that way to Luray, or going through Warrenton and Sperryville, bypass the entrance to Skyline drive and head straight for Luray Caverns. From there, we want to hit the Luray Zoo that is there, and then on our way to the hotel, hopefully late afternoon, before it gets dark, come back and get onto Skyline drive at that point so hopefully we will get to see some wildlife.

Upon our arrival at the hotel, pretty much staying in, using the pool, grabbing dinner, (any recommendations? Saw there is a Golden Corral right outside the hotel, so thinking that might be best bet as they have all you can buffet - better deal for the $).

Next day is when we hit the museum, and find the balloon Festival. Wondering which way would be best to come back home. I think I read where I can take I-81 (i think thats it) to I-66 to come back home. Or is it closer to head back towards Front Royal and hit I-66 there?

I am a little apprehensive about making this trip alone with my granddaughter, although I am capable of driving 400 miles alone to the beaches in NC alone with her. LOL I guess going to a new area terrifies me I will get lost.

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,818,645 times
We love going to Winchester, although we haven't been in a few years. There are a couple ways to go. I-66 to 81. Or you can take Route 50 straight out there through Middleburg, Aldie, etc. That way is very pretty route. We haven't been to the children's museum, but we enjoy walking around the pedestrian street in the downtown. There are a few shops and restaurants. Many are closed on Sunday. I think that is where the museum is located as well. There is also a nice park with a pond (lake?) that I remember. Also, Dinosaurland is nearby - never been. If you take I-66 home you can stop at Striblings Orchard in Markham, VA - right off the exit and pick apples. That is always fun.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
If you want a more scenic route to Winchester take the Rt 17 exit and take 17 to its end at RT 50. Some beautiful country out there. Turn left on 50 and it will take you into Winchester. It's exit 23 off 66. Don't take the 28 exit for Rt 17 into Marshall. Bypass it and go to exit 23.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM

605 posts, read 2,162,516 times
For the drive out from Alexandria, I recommend taking 211 through Sperryville and on to Luray. It's so much prettier than taking 66 to Front Royal. (You can also stop for a treat from an orchard along the way or get ice cream in Sperryville.) I think the total drive time to Luray may be shorter that way as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia