Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I just saw a post from ajzjmsmom, and it made me wonder how your move went. Also, what do you think of Nova so far? I hope things are going smoothly for you, and that you haven't gotten lost on the various "glebe" roads too many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Hey Normie, our move as it was went okay, not much to move when you are only bringing clothes. Not to fond of the Courthouse area other than it is easier for DH's commute. He is not real fond of the orange line since it tends to get really crowded in the afternoons, still hasn't found the right time to leave work. The traffic is as nuts as everyone said it was and for a country girl, everyone seems to be in a big hurry.

Getting used to apartment life has been a challenge, we are used to sfh's. I do like the kids schools though, the 8 yr old is enjoying his school and all the science it offers.

We have been exploring on the weekends, looking at different areas in case dh gets a permanent job in DC.

Haven't gotten lost on Glebe road, although getting on Glebe road off of 50 can be a pain. We got lost last weekend and ended up taking a little tour of DC by car.

We have been to several musuems, this last weekend his parents came and we went up in the Washington Monument, which we all really enjoyed and then went to the Holcaust Museum.

Hoping to get out to Cox Farms for their fall thing next weekend. We went to the Wegmans in Fairfax, it is crazy, of course Saturday afternoon probably wasn't the best time. It was nice though. Other than that all is moving along.

Thanks for asking.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Barge to ajzjmsmom - not sure if you remember me, but we moved here earlier this summer. Thought I'd mention that we went to Stribling Orchard last weekend to pick apples and had a fabulous time! I'd highly recommend it. It's about 45-60 min south for you. Welcome to Stribling Orchard, Inc. Bring your camera, a picnic lunch and enjoy!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
It must be a challenge to get used to the general chaos of a big city. And Wegman's on Saturday is enough to frazzle even longtime urbanites! I like to shop on the weekdays, it's much calmer then. Try to go before noon, that's when the store is at its best.

Glad to hear the kids like their school. And how great to hear from you, moving to dc. It's so rare that we hear from people after they move here. Usually they come to the forum before the move, then we never hear how it worked out. I do hope both of you stick around and keep sharing your first impressions.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Barge to ajzjmsmom - not sure if you remember me, but we moved here earlier this summer. Thought I'd mention that we went to Stribling Orchard last weekend to pick apples and had a fabulous time! I'd highly recommend it. It's about 45-60 min south for you. Welcome to Stribling Orchard, Inc. Bring your camera, a picnic lunch and enjoy!
I think one of my dh's co-workers told him about the orchard. Thanks for bringing it up.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
It gets better, ajzj. It probably took us a year or two before we really got acclimated. We did the same thing you did, I think we saw more museums that first year than we did ever again. Which one's your favorite? I like the small ones that people never seem to hear about, like the Postal Museum. Also the American History Museum is too cool. Not a big fan of the Holocaust Museum, but I'm glad we have it. It's important to have places liek that.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It gets better, ajzj. It probably took us a year or two before we really got acclimated. We did the same thing you did, I think we saw more museums that first year than we did ever again. Which one's your favorite? I like the small ones that people never seem to hear about, like the Postal Museum. Also the American History Museum is too cool. Not a big fan of the Holocaust Museum, but I'm glad we have it. It's important to have places liek that.
We did more museums when we were here on temporary assignment n 2007 then we have this time, my boys are of the opinion if they have seen it once they don't want to see it again We liked the Postal Museum, the Natural History Museum, Air and Space and the Marine Corp Museum have been big hits with my boys. The Holcaust Museum was very depressing and that the day was cloudy and cold didn't help.

We go back home in Feb and then wait to see if dh gets a permanent position here or not. They wanted him for one about 2 wks ago but because of his 6 month commitment doing what he is doing now, he asked to be put on the bottom of the list. I think it it were up to me I would probably opt not to come back, the sheer expense of living here coupled with the massive traffic is enough to give anyone pause. However, in trying to be a supportive wife we will probably be back for at least 2 yrs the end of May.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

We go back home in Feb and then wait to see if dh gets a permanent position here or not.
Oh man, you have my sympathy. That's a rough way to go, especially when you have to go through the winter here and then leave just as the weather's turning nice. Oh well, when you look back on this at least you'll have lots of stories.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 PM

204 posts, read 388,806 times
Hi ajzjmsmom! Where did you live in New Mexico? I just found out today that my sec clearance was approved so it looks like I'll be making the move from Albuquerque to NoVa early-mid November. I'm quite nervous.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Hi ajzjmsmom! Where did you live in New Mexico? I just found out today that my sec clearance was approved so it looks like I'll be making the move from Albuquerque to NoVa early-mid November. I'm quite nervous.
We still live in Alamogordo, we are here on temporary assignment until Feb. then we go back home.

If you can get past the expense and the insane traffic, there is alot to do here, so many great places to visit. I am not overjoyed right now but it is more because it is only temporary and we have none of our personal "stuff" aside from clothes. If you come here knowing that it is very expensive and the traffic is nuts you will be okay. Alot depends on where you will be working as opposed to where you will be living. When will your family join you here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia