Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 57,590 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband has been offered a job in Arlington, VA.
We currently live in Canberra.

We have visited the US a few years ago and travelled around DC and VA for a while but i cant really remember it from a "living & raising kids" perspective.

We have 3 children under 6. Does anyone live in this area? Can you offer me any perspective coming from an Aussies point of view?

He will be on about $110k ( we think) but what that means in terms of lifestyle, housing, schools I am completely in the dark.

I am more than happy to move just feel very nervous about the fact that I will not get to see Arlington area before we move. My husband may be there before me, not sure yet.

A few people have recommended Mclean, so i may use that as a starting point.

Anyway please excuse the rambling - any advice, opinions, etc greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Do a search for posts in this forum by "Melbourne Family".

She just got here from Oz a little while ago.

Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM

303 posts, read 917,555 times
Welcome to Northern Virginia! Arlington is a great area, and is very convenient to all the fun stuff DC has to offer. Is this a permanent job, or temporary?

How you can stretch your US dollar depends a lot on your specific situation. Do you plan to rent or buy? Do you have to pay for the house out of your salary or do you get a housing allowance? Do you expect to use the public schools or does your husband's job offer private school benefits for the children? Lots of people do live here on 110K or less, but you will have to house-hunt and budget carefully. Also look into whatever relocation/housing/school benefits your husband's job offers you, as they will be worth real dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia