Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM

71 posts, read 363,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
You posted that while I was typing (check the time stamps). But you still haven't answered the questions that was asked twice about why the police were called.

The more details you post, the more fishy it does sound. But when you only give a few bits of information (work trucks, magnetic signs, but they aren't dirty).

Also, when the biggest complaint is that its an eyesore, its kind of a "so what" thing. If you have something more that proves they are actually bothering you - parties all night, beer bottles thrown at your cars, break-ins, proof of drug deals, etc - then you have something. But an eye sore b/c they have too many cars and a few too many people living there - eh... its an annoyance that comes with life.
At an HOA mtg. this week--we were informed by Henrico Police that there is a law in place about how many vehichles that can be at a single family home. They don't own the home; it's being rented out. There is also a law in places that states something to the effect that a home owner can't rent out there home to over 4 adults people at a given time. Not sure of the exact words--but they went over them at the meeting.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
to bad the OP doesnt speak Cant.. she would get futher if they are in fact Travellers ..

Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonediva View Post
Not NOVA in particular. I live in Fairfax, but I own a home in Richmond also. My management company brought to my attention about a new group of neighbors next door to my home....

The reason for the post in the NOVA section is b/c I've been warned they are in the area as well as in the Stafford area.[/font][/color]
I'd be curious to know if any members from Stafford County have any concerns. So far, this sounds like a Richmond issue.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Irish Traveler phenomenon has been associated with burglaries and door-to-door home-repair scams, mostly targeting homes belonging to the elderly.

There's currently an Asian or Hispanic burglary group in Western Fairfax Co that's been going around in trucks or vans made out to look like service vehicles for well-known firms, such as Waste Management, DirectTV, etc. They've been casing apartments and condos in Fairfax, Herndon, and Chantilly.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
I would be calling the cops and the HOA if 18 or more men were living next door in a SFH - come on - who wouldnt? A boarding house full of strange men living next door - its illegal in most communities to have that many unrelated people living in one home.

Back in NY/NJ area there are gypsies - you know - the kind that tell fortunes and stuff - is that whay you mean by gypsies?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 AM

139 posts, read 293,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonediva View Post
Not dodging the question by far. The police were called b/c empty beer bottles were strewn all over the street from their front yard; no answer at the door. They have raised alarm to the community---they sit the woods behind the home on fire burning trash. Not sure why--other than they don't want to put there trash in the garbage can...?...
If there are 10 unrelated people living in a house, that's a zoning violation. Google Farifax County Planning and Zoning. They have a Strike Force set up just to deal with this kind of thing.

When that many folks live together, all kinds of unsafe/unsanitary things tend to happen. People living in basements with gas stoves, wires overloaded trailing to rooms, junk piled up limiting exits for fires. Also, numerious vehicles parked outside esp for a business may also be a zoining violation.

Your HOA may have or could make rules against the number of vehicles. As for being an eysore. No offense, but it's not "just life." It's a nuisance that can lead to a decline in your neighborhood, and is often a violation, or should be. If it's true about outdoor fires, it's clear they are a danger to your entire neighborhood. Beer cans out front will damage anyone selling. I sure wouldn't want children to have to be around this mess.

I am very surprised that your HOA hasn't done more. They can and should crack down on these folks. You can find the zoning code online. But just call and report what you've seen. Also, you should look into what rules an HOA can make, but it is very extensive as it's private property, and that carries many more rights to regulate things than public property. Don't put up with this.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I am just qurious what makes you think they are Irish Travellers or gypsies.
Irish Travellers (also known as Pikeys, tinkers and knackers, very negative terms I need to say)) and gypsies (preferred term is Romani, Romany, Romanies, Romanis, Roma…many names to chose from ) are two different set of peoples.

Travellers
These are ethic Irish nomadic or semi nomadic people. It was once widely believed that Travellers were descended from landowners or labourers who were made homeless by Oliver Cromwell's military campaign in Ireland and in the 1840s famine. However, their origins may be more complex as there are records indicating that there were nomadic people Irishmen BEFORE 1840. Apparently the US has about 7,000 Travelers. They tend to be found in the south east for example, a population of Irish Travellers lives in Murphy Village, South Carolina and the Fort Worth suburb of White Settlement, TX.

Romani people
The English term Gypsy originates from a Greek word, in the erroneous belief that the Romanies originated in Egypt, and were exiled as punishment for allegedly harboring the infant Jesus.

Linguistic and genetic evidence indicates the Romanies originated from the Indian subcontinent, emigrating from India towards the northwest no earlier than the 11th century. The Romani are generally believed to have originated in central India, possibly in the modern Indian state of Rajasthan, migrating to the Punjab region in northwest India around 250 B.C. There are also factors that indicate that they might have originated or lived for a long time in Kashmir. The recent discovery of the "Jat mutation" that causes a type of glaucoma in Romani populations suggests that the Romani people are the descendants of the Jat people found in Northern India and Pakistan.

Significant Romani populations are found in the Balkan peninsula, in some Central European states, in Spain, France, Russia, and Ukraine. Several more million Romanies may live out of Europe, in particular in the Middle East and in the Americas.
We're totally speculating about what types of folks they are but you're leaving out key components about Roma. They are simple people who commit crimes as a community. I've never heard of just men Roma living together. An example of they types of crimes they commit include the women going into a store. A couple will distract the workers while others will steal. They have a system for stealing from houses and cheat welfare. There is a structure to their community, with leaders. It's a family structure and they like to travel a lot. One time some Roma were spotted (not in NOVA, but a realtor friend told me) living in mobile homes with very expensive cars. Traveling, moving frequently (to avoid consequences to their crimes) is a traditional value. EG a gypsy existence.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
If there are 10 unrelated people living in a house, that's a zoning violation. Google Farifax County Planning and Zoning. They have a Strike Force set up just to deal with this kind of thing.
But this is Henrico county, near Richmond. Fairfax codes don't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I would be calling the cops and the HOA if 18 or more men were living next door in a SFH - come on - who wouldnt?
OP said 8 or 10. Half of 18.

Not that I'm defending these guys anymore, as its clear they are causing some trouble. But if you are going to get all up in arms folks, make sure you are speaking to what the OP has said.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
But this is Henrico county, near Richmond. Fairfax codes don't apply.
I realized my mistake after I posted. It's still going to be a zoning violation, though, and enforceable.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM

81 posts, read 240,883 times
Educational film on this topic: "Snatch" starring Brad Pitt and Vinnie Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia