Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,700,493 times

Advertisements

"Disadvantaged communities" are those where the parents don't speak English and/or are illiterate, so the students don't get educational assistance at home. This was the original goal of full-day kindergarten, to assist those students. Then middle-class parents jumped on the bandwagon because it reduced their need to pay for childcare. Then everyone else wanted it because they felt like their children were being put at a disadvantage compared to the full-day students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM

17,622 posts, read 16,789,226 times
I don't think I really understand why we have a $176 million shortage in the first place. Is it because fed and state funding has been cut? Is it because distressed homeowners aren't paying their property taxes (if so do we have recourse)? Is it because we are plain flat spending too much on (?) ?

It doesn't ring true to me that this is all attributable to a decline in home values - somehow we were able to get by before home values shot through the roof.

The cuts they are looking at are pretty painful and appear to be a drop in the bucket in terms of solving the problem...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,710,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It doesn't ring true to me that this is all attributable to a decline in home values - somehow we were able to get by before home values shot through the roof...

The real estate tax rate was considerably higher before the boom.

When prices shot up, so did assessments and the tax rate was lowered...now that assessments are plummeting, the tax rate needs to rise. It has been increased a couple of times, but still hasn't reached the pre-boom level.

Of course, not helping matters is the fact that when the County was flush with cash, they spent more on the nice-to-have stuff...and some of that stuff is unaffordable now...so it probably will have to go.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM

17,622 posts, read 16,789,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The real estate tax rate was considerably higher before the boom.

When prices shot up, so did assessments and the tax rate was lowered...now that assessments are plummeting, the tax rate needs to rise. It has been increased a couple of times, but still hasn't reached the pre-boom level.

Of course, not helping matters is the fact that when the County was flush with cash, they spent more on the nice-to-have stuff...and some of that stuff is unaffordable now...so it probably will have to go.
I hope they look at letting go of any frills they have before they start thinking about raising our taxes again.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,710,332 times
Quote:
I hope they look at letting go of any frills they have before they start thinking about raising our taxes again.

The trouble is, people will never agree on what is a frill...

Personally, I think Fairfax One (the incredibly expensive police helicopter) is a frill. I know of no other Va County that operates a chopper. But I imagine that a severely injured car crash victim that is alive today because of the thing might disagree.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,373,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
FC students do not need the summer off to work the farms. There is not one single farm in Fairfax county. Oh wait, I forgot, teachers and principals don't like that idea so it can't happen. Staff wants the summer off. My bad.
A good number of staff members like that idea. I am a member of the teaching staff and many (not all) people I talk to would like to go to a modified calendar.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM

FY 2011 budget planning discussions have considered reducing the school year to 180 days with a savings of $19.2 million.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If I'm doing the math right, even with those cuts, they're still looking at over a 100 million short fall?
Those are just some of the cuts. Not all the individual cuts are big numbers. For example, TJ is currently staffed about 2 students below regular high schools. If they increased class size to the current rate of the other high schools, the savings would be $0.3 million.

The last numbers for cuts I saw totaled $224.2 million. The "straw man" totals were $169.6 mil.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 AM

320 posts, read 713,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
FY 2011 budget planning discussions have considered reducing the school year to 180 days with a savings of $19.2 million.
Can I say that after the testing is done (May/June) the kids go on "vacation". Teachers have covered the required curriculum for the tests. Everything taught after the test is extra or filler stuff. And the last few days of school is a waste of time -- we schedule yearbook signings, field days and count down to when the last school bus pulls out for the year! So going back to the 180 schedule would be a savings!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,700,493 times
I didn't realize that the schools had gone beyond 180 days. What is the current number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia