Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:18 PM

11 posts, read 39,804 times

Advertisements

My husband and I applied for a house today in this area right next to Dulles Town Center:

palace ter sterling, va - Google Maps

Is this totally an insane idea? The neighborhood looks nice and our realtor said that it was close to the mall, but a great area no less. I have very limited experience with that shopping center, but I want to know if anyone who knows that mall can tell me if it's a bad idea. Is traffic going to be awful 24/7?

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,742,761 times
Hey at least you'll be able to walk to restaurants and shopping! The mall traffic is not bad 24/7.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
If traffic is the concern, you can rest easy. Traffic there doesn't back up, except for the July 4th fireworks. It's a little confusing to drive in the area, but once you get used to the pattern it seems to keep traffic moving quite well. Just give yourself extra time the first time you try to negotiate the loops around the mall or the strange turns at the intersection at Nokes and 28.

As for living near DTC I think it's a prime spot. I know a few people who live there and love it. You'll have a large number of stores and restaurants within walking distance, as well as the mall. There are even more stores in two large shopping plazas within a mile. Access to 28 and 7 is easy. Dulles Airport is about 10 minutes away, and you'll be about a mile from the new stadium (it'll be on the other side of 28, so should affect your traffic). Cascades Marketplace, including a fantastic library, is across Rt. 7--maybe 1-2 miles at most.

About 1 1/2 miles away is Claude Moore Park, one of the biggest and most interesting parks in the county. It has all kinds of trails and facilities.

Strangely, in the middle of all this is a funny little dirt road called Maries. It leads to a family garden center that's been there forever. It's a large property, and it's like stepping back in time to go there. A refreshing change of pace when the modern world gets on your nerves.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM

83 posts, read 195,605 times
That's a perfectly fine location and the traffic isn't bad at all. The traffic on 7 sucks, but that's going to be the case anywhere you live out this way.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,784 times
Sounds like a good place to live to me. It's a nice mall, clean area, not bad traffic. Just kind of way out there, but if your commute is not a problem then it seems as good a place as any other.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
A few other things nearby: The short cut to Wegmans is right in your backyard. You take Nokes over 28, turn left on Pacific, and Weggie's is about a mile away. The shopping center there also has a Super Target, Eastern Moutain Sports, and a few other good stores.

Across Rt 7, near the post office, is a business office park that has a lot of medical offices. A really good dentist, Bob Hulbert, is right there. Home Depot is also right there.

About a mile south of you is yet another large shopping plaza that has WalMart, Lowes, Nordstrom Closet, a couple of furniture stores, Best Buy, and about 15 other stores.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,317,549 times
One good thing about DTC is that there are lot of ways in and out.

As others have mentioned, there is a lot of great shopping and eating over there. I am in that area several times a week for various things. Imagine...you'll be walking distance to the Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Changs!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM

462 posts, read 1,212,154 times
My only comment would be that the area/neighborhood seems to be pretty much self-contained. Walkability rates high on my list when looking for a house so if that is important to you I might question the decision. Just not sure if there is accessability over there. If it were me, I would move to the other side of Hwy 7 towards Countryside/Cascades and such. Other than that, it is a nice area.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,498,036 times
Would be nice to live within walking distance to a mall

Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM

462 posts, read 1,212,154 times
Ok. To clarify. Walkability to me means I can go out my front door and walk/run for an hour or two without going in circles. And, different routes so I don't get bored. Just don't see that over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia