Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

77 posts, read 292,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to buy a house in NOVA and two schools that I have for HS that are good are Lake Broddock and West Springfield.

I am finding houses in around 500K range in Lake Broddock (nice house ) and not as much choice in West Springfield.

Also the elementary schools that I like are Cherry Run for Burke region and Sangster for Springfield region.

What is the difference between Lake Broddock and West Springfield.

I am so worried that if I go with Lake Broddock, I will not like it as its too big school ? and not as good as West Spring field ?

Please advice. Thank You!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:14 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Lake Braddock is huge. And it is a "secondary school", so grades 7-12 are at the same campus (though the 7-8 graders are housed separately from the high schoolers).
My sister's kids went to Lake Braddock, and based on their experiences there, I would hesitate to send a child with average to slightly above average academic skills to that school. They were both rather lost in the crowd. And despite the plethora of extracurricular activities available, it was harder for them to get a spot on a team or in the play because of the sheer number of other bodies competing for slots.
However, plenty of their classmates seemed to thrive there, especially those who were top students or athletes.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
I think Claremarie raises a good point - and there are some students at Annandale who will be redistricted to Lake Braddock next fall, so there may be even more high schoolers at LBSS in the coming years.

Having said that, West Springfield isn't small, either (@ 2250 high school students vs. 2430 at Lake Braddock). People in the West Springfield district seem to like it a lot - the school itself is not in great physical condition, and it's still going to be quite a few years before it's renovated, but it has strong boosters.

For what it's worth, the standardized test scores at Lake Braddock have tended to be a bit higher in recent years than at West Springfield (at least the SAT scores); not really sure why. Lake Braddock serves a more diverse student population (at both extremes), whereas the areas that feed into WS are generally solid upper-middle class Fairfax neighborhoods.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM

125 posts, read 404,270 times
we moved here right before the school year started and my daughter is in 8th grade at LBSS. She absolutely loves it. I was very nervous for the reasons mentioned above (its size, lost in the crowd, typical B student). So far she has had an excellent experience. The kids are great (I'm sure there are those in the crowd that aren't but thankful she hasn't sought them out) and her teachers are fantastic. She even went as far as to tell family and friends she likes it better than her previous school in NY...which she loved.

She tells me she sees the HS kids in the hallways but they don't even pay attention to the MS kids (another fear of mine) and some of them even say hello to her and are nice.

I thought Sangster fed into LBSS..is this not correct? You may want to look into that.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM

207 posts, read 752,247 times
Sangster is a split feeder school--some kids go on to West Springfield and others go on to Lake Braddock.

I also am very happy with Lake Braddock except for the traffic problems during school events.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM

77 posts, read 292,168 times
Thank You All for your thoughts.. I hope LB will server well to my kids.. Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:06 AM

125 posts, read 404,270 times
aaah...okay. Sangster has had some good parental reviews from people I've met. I tend to like those better than going surfing for school reviews as they don't always tell the whole story.

It's a great school and a great area. We really like it. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,605 times
LBSS

Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
What about south county high school? Still in Fairfax and has decent feeder schools. New school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia