Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 PM

139 posts, read 292,919 times

Advertisements

I've had a concealed permit for a while but felt bashful about bringing a gun with me. There are additional concerns when you have children.

After a few weeks of visting playgrounds, where the parking lots double as sitting places for lone young males who never get out of the car, I've changed my mind. One time, I was pretty sure that somene was casing me out as I played with my children. Last week, I had to politely shoo a homeless person, along with nasty grocery bag, to get off of the play set. It was a difficult task, and the person came back. Playgrounds, and areas near nature where I like to take my children, I have learned are unsafe "frontier" areas.

There was a brutal beating death in the Landsdowne area of Loudoun County not far from where I live. You can call it an aberriaion if you'd like. I know what I see from the behaviour around me.

From now on, I will carry with confidence and not the bashful nature that I have had before. Mostly, I would like to discourage others from carrying unless they are willing to take on a large obligation.

Major concerns include:

Children -- there are ways to load certain pistols where small children will simpy be unable to use them. Also, you must dutifly remove your firearm to a safe location as soon as you return home.

Marksmanship -- forget what they say about gun nuts. Try to become one. At least practice regularly and clean your firearm. It can be fun.

Defense -- most important. Learn how to hande (or try to) a situation. Avoidance, control (giving simple demands i.e. "go now" or "vamoose"), and last resort scenarios. Having a basic undersanding of self defense laws.

Patchwork of laws -- never clear for ccw's. Church attendees are not allowed defense, nor school moms who pick up their children from public school. Confusion includes whether you can use the bank drive-thru or are ordered out of a car within a certain distance from a school.

I would discourage most from carrying a firearm. For those willing to take time, learning, and responsibility, it may be an option.

I knew that I was safe in the playgrounds and areas when I lived closer into town. In the (Sterling) exburbs, I am not. If someone happens to notice the bulge on my waiste, good for them. I'm a proud carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Let me guess, sugar blues from too much halloween candy last night?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
There were days when people couldn't hangout at playgrounds hoping to prey on children or their parents, but those days were lost with the introduction of political correctness. So now you have a choice, either you can hope for the best and count on the police to get there in time to find your child's body in the woods, or arm yourself and take responsibility for your safety. It's your choice as long as the Second Amendment exists.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 AM

LOL, somehow I don't think we'll be seeing a mass exodus of people from Loudoun county to SE DC because the suburbs are sca-a-a-ary and the inner city is so much safer!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
Last week, I had to politely shoo a homeless person, along with nasty grocery bag, to get off of the play set. It was a difficult task, and the person came back. .
And this is one of your reasons to carry a gun? I don't normally get involved in discussions like this as I think it's unlikely there would be a meeting of minds (and to be fair you seem from the rest of your post to be aware of the dangers and responsibilities of gun ownership) but this seems a trifle, I don't know, over the top.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Please tell us the playgrounds in Sterling where you feel unsafe, I can't think of any.

This is not meant as disapproval of concealed carry, I grew up learning to be comfortable with a rifle or shotgun and my husband is a life member of NRA. I just have never felt threatened enough to carry a pistol on a daily basis.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
this seems a trifle, I don't know, over the top.
Well of course it is. This whole thread is over the top. It's a rainy day, someone is bored and trying to stir the pot. It's days like this that I really wish we had a smiley for rolling-on-the-floor-snickering at an attempt to incite controversy. The smiley just doesn't say enough!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:53 AM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Default What other cities do

San Francisco has a law that if you're not accompanying a child at the park, then you are not permitted in the park. It is enforced and when I was in the area, I didn't see vagrants nor single men lurking in the background. I think this seems to be a more reasonable approach than to go to the park packing heat.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
my sister lives out near Dulles, and for whatever reason, we've found the school parks in Northern VA to be much safer than the public ones, the parks that aren't on school grounds are incredibly creepy - and I live in DC and have seen just about everything

Old 11-01-2009, 12:30 PM

139 posts, read 292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
my sister lives out near Dulles, and for whatever reason, we've found the school parks in Northern VA to be much safer than the public ones, the parks that aren't on school grounds are incredibly creepy - and I live in DC and have seen just about everything
Yes, I guess it makes sense. Parks (of all sorts) are natural places for people to buy and use drugs, have liaisons with coworkers, live in homeless camps (there's one near Dulles), and attack victims. I respect people's decisions not to own or carry guns. To me, it's just a tool that makes sense to have available. I see gang tags all the time. I'm not shaking in my boots about it, but at the same time, gangs do exist. Crime is out there. I hope that I don't have to respond to the post about no creepy parks being in Sterling. Thanks for the tip about school parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia