Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,293 times

Advertisements

Only when on work travel.
I like when there is trivia or a game or something, so you have an activity.
I have met some interesting people and had fun chats, but also have been made uncomfortable by creepy dudes--I am guessing alone at a bar works out better for guys in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Only a handful of occasions do I go out with friends. I really haven't made a lot of friends here so if i wait for someone to go out with me then I'd never go out. Honestly, I find that people slow me down hookup wise. If I go out with a friend I almost never hookup. It really depends some bars are great for meeting people, some are only good when you have the rest of the crew with you. I've been here a year and have enough usual spots in DC that I've started bumping into people whenever I go out anyways so I don't stay by myself for too long. So yeah go out by yourself meet some new folks and have fun. Happy Friday!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:49 PM

139 posts, read 293,125 times
Once when I wanted a beer, and it was awkward, and I left after one. Other times, I was waiting for someone. Almost everyone who's alone at a bar is waiting for someone else. That's in the district at least. If you really, really have some skill, I've seen folks who can work into a conversation between folks and meet people. I say forget it. One of the worst possible ways to meet people ever. You'd do better to ride the Metro after 10 on a Saturday. Go to meetup.com and forget the bar idea.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 PM

204 posts, read 389,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
Once when I wanted a beer, and it was awkward, and I left after one. Other times, I was waiting for someone. Almost everyone who's alone at a bar is waiting for someone else. That's in the district at least. If you really, really have some skill, I've seen folks who can work into a conversation between folks and meet people. I say forget it. One of the worst possible ways to meet people ever. You'd do better to ride the Metro after 10 on a Saturday. Go to meetup.com and forget the bar idea.
Not everyone alone at a bar is there to meet someone

Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Not everyone alone at a bar is there to meet someone
I agree.. I would be there just to be in the company of others.. I am not interested in hookups or one night stands lol but friends would be nice! lol

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I agree.. I would be there just to be in the company of others.. I am not interested in hookups or one night stands lol but friends would be nice! lol
For me it's a little bit of both. I have a couple "bar friends" that I always seem to bump into when I'm out and about. This was even more true back home in Georgia since I'm from a smaller city. Also you know you don't have to hook up with someone you meet in a bar. You can always exchange phone numbers and then make a date the old fashioned way.

I don't know, for me going out by myself is a definitely about being on the prowl but also being on the lookout for just a good conversation since I spend so much of my time outside of work alone.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,109 times
I do it all the time. I used to not do it when I lived in DC and knew a lot of people but now that I have moved to a place where I know less people, I don't see anything wrong with it. If I go alone it's because a drink is all I want and I'm not going to socialize.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM

56 posts, read 207,638 times
I've never done it but maybe a more effective way to meet people who you are likely to click with would be to find groups on craigslist. People set up all kinds of interesting groups, from the ol' book club to writing groups, outdoors groups, fitness groups, game night groups, bowling groups, dinner groups, etc. In my opinion that's just a more effective way to meet people--I personally think the bar scene can get kinda lame.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:19 PM

239 posts, read 711,519 times
I have only done it when going out to eat and will sit at the bar or in the bar area and that is usually earlier in the evening.
I cant help but have that feeling that when a girl goes to a bar alone...someone assumes she is looking to get...some (for lack of another clean word for sex!).
When I have gone to restaurants alone I do not read.
There is a website called thingstodo.com, it seems to have some fun things to do, some seem to be towards single people, I am thinking about it.
I am new to NoVA also and it kinda stinks to not have any friends. I guess one of these days I will find a restaurant here with a bar that I am comfortable in, until then I will look at sites like this and find out what other people are thinking about!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,902 times
As for certain things, going to a bar alone wouldn't be as awkward. The main things are going to watch a sports game or going to read/work on the computer. But I couldn't imagine going to a dancing/clubbing bar alone, especially if one's intention is getting laid. In these scenarios, I would imagine that chances of impressing people are better in numbers, particularly with people who are real outgoing. I guess going alone would work for individuals like terrence81 who have a substantial amount of "game" or suave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Only a handful of occasions do I go out with friends. I really haven't made a lot of friends here so if i wait for someone to go out with me then I'd never go out. Honestly, I find that people slow me down hookup wise. If I go out with a friend I almost never hookup. It really depends some bars are great for meeting people, some are only good when you have the rest of the crew with you. I've been here a year and have enough usual spots in DC that I've started bumping into people whenever I go out anyways so I don't stay by myself for too long. So yeah go out by yourself meet some new folks and have fun. Happy Friday!
Just for a reference, what bars would you (or anyone in general) recommend for meeting people and having fun while rolling solo versus bars that would be better for meeting people while in packs? I find that most places I end up, having people with you is imperative to having fun and meeting more people. Since I had a horrible experience with my college I graduated from because I came a semester late (which is in the DC area), that pretty much turned me off from making any effort in trying to meet people in general. I just wanted to know places where one could be new and not be socially cut-off because they don't have a job with a lot of young co-workers or live with roommates they're BFFs with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia