Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 234,292 times

Advertisements

What's Manassas Park like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Lower income, blue collar type families. Lots of 1960's - 1970's housing.
When locals think of Manassas Park it is not good.

There is a subdivision there that was built right next to the sewage plant - really bad.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Just move to the likes of Bristow, Gainesville, and Haymarket...Mananass has many nice areas, however, you will probably not want to live in Mananass Park area if you have the monies not to.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I see you live in Chesapeake.... Manassas Park looks good on paper because it might have more affordable housing as far as NoVa goes, but it is not a very safe area.

I can't even compare it to anywhere here (I lived in Centreville for 9 years and Manassas Park is the neighboring county - only 4 miles from my house).
It is not as bad as the worst part of Portsmouth - it is just different bad. How can I say this nicely.......
it is very West Virginia rednecky..... Not farmer types, like here - different.
Crime and drugs were just bad there.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I can't quite think of the right words to describe it but Manassas Park, well, it just sort of sucks.

It's a tiny place, only about two square miles with 10,000 people, no real traditional downtown, and just a bunch of randomly strewn auto-body shops, gas stations, fast food restaurants, etc. strewn along Route 28. It's just sort of grungy and trashy looking. Like one big truck stop. There's a definite blue-collar vibe. Prince William County used to have a very redneck reputation, but that's been sort of pushed out in recent years due to housing costs pushing many people from elsewhere further and further out, but Manassas Park still has a bit of that element to it.

It's not crime central or horrific by any means, but it doesn't have a great reputation. Put it this way, on the radio the other day, they were busting on Manassas, making all sorts of jokes about it being full of rednecks and backwards, when a bunch of callers from Manassas called in to take offense and then THEY started making fun of Manassas Park saying basically the same things that others were saying about Manassas which caused the DJ to say "you know it's bad if the people from MANASSAS are making fun of you".

Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM

257 posts, read 1,131,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2006 View Post
What's Manassas Park like?
I live in Manassas more toward Dale City back in the woods, Manassas park is a very crowded small house and lots of little run down places going on. Its not the best place in PW not even as far as schools. Prince Williams best are definitely Haymarket, Gainsville, Nokesville, Brentsville and Independent Hill all not built up...yet. But still very close to everything

Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,149 times
I live in Manassas Park, in the Blooms Crossing subdivision, right by General Ridge Golf Course and 2 miles north of Hwy 28. That section of MP is new since mid-90's. My husband is a Senior VP of a major corporation and we live in a house that's about 5,000 Sq. Ft. Most of our neighbors are professionals. We bought there because the MP VRE train station is a mile away.

I understand why you'd all say bad things about MP because the lower area is pretty rough. But, please be careful with all your stereo-typing!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
There you go! In have me all sorts of professionals living in beautiful, huge newer houses in Manassas - not all of Manassas is run down.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM

22 posts, read 124,983 times
For those of us who lived in Manassas before there was anything near Bloom's Crossing and Manassas Drive ended at the VRE station when VRE didn't exist, the real Manassas Park does not have 5000 sq ft homes! After all, the High School was an old warehouse for many years!

That part of town past the VRE where Signal View Drive is and where Blooms' Crossing, General's Ridge, etc. have landed is unfortunate in being called Manassas Park because people who grew up in the area would assume that you are rednecky, live in a cracker-box and have cars up on blocks. The homes in the new sections are gorgeous and it's unfortunate that they couldn't call it Manassas, since it's so close to the County line.

I'm sorry that the other lady felt stereo-typed, but anyone who lived in that area for many years would not be caught telling anyone that their house is in Manassas Park. I'd tell them Signal Hill before I'd ever say Manassas Park. It's like saying you live in the poor section of town. The houses down the other side of Manassas Drive (the little cracker boxes) are all that MP was until they extended Manassas Drive and put in Signal View Dr. in the last 7-8 years - and if you imagine that, you can understand why people would think you are a redneck, blue collar, etc. if you live in "The Park".

Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
There are some very nice little neighborhoods in Manassas Park that are East of Route 28 (i.e. you turn R onto Manassas Drive from 28 when headed northbound). I'd stay clear of the rest of the city, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia