Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to possibly move to VA in another 2 years and so. My wife and I are starting to do some research on certain areas that we are interested in moving to in the future. I know this may seem a bit premature, but we are looking to move into a house that we will live in for a very very long time, so we are making sure that where we move works for us financially, school wise for our children, crime, and overall quality of life. In order to get ready for such a move, we want to be prepared and give ourselves time to sell our place (we live in Maryland) and move in that 2+ year time frame.

Schools are the most important things to us in the future, but we also do not want to live to the last cent so Fairfax County is not likely, so the Manassas/Manassas (in PWC)/Manassas Park area so far fits the bill.

So after a brief stay in Manassas as an intern a few years ago, I began to get a taste of things and I really became interested in the area. I've read some negative things up here about Manassas, which I know some to be true, but these aren't deal breakers. This past weekend we happen to be in the area and we drove around loved some of the development that has come in recent years so we want to know a bit more from people who live in these places.

Out of the three, is there one area that is considered to be the best of the three? What about the best school-wise?

How is Prince William Hospital? How is the new Hylton Maternity Center?

Are there a lot of activities for young people at the community centers?

What is some of the development that is coming besides the shopping area with the Harris Teeter?

I admit the mall needs work, are there plans to renovate the mall?

For those who live in one of the three areas, how do you like living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm looking to possibly move to VA in another 2 years and so. My wife and I are starting to do some research on certain areas that we are interested in moving to in the future. I know this may seem a bit premature, but we are looking to move into a house that we will live in for a very very long time, so we are making sure that where we move works for us financially, school wise for our children, crime, and overall quality of life. In order to get ready for such a move, we want to be prepared and give ourselves time to sell our place (we live in Maryland) and move in that 2+ year time frame.

Schools are the most important things to us in the future, but we also do not want to live to the last cent so Fairfax County is not likely, so the Manassas/Manassas (in PWC)/Manassas Park area so far fits the bill.

So after a brief stay in Manassas as an intern a few years ago, I began to get a taste of things and I really became interested in the area. I've read some negative things up here about Manassas, which I know some to be true, but these aren't deal breakers. This past weekend we happen to be in the area and we drove around loved some of the development that has come in recent years so we want to know a bit more from people who live in these places.

Out of the three, is there one area that is considered to be the best of the three? What about the best school-wise?

How is Prince William Hospital? How is the new Hylton Maternity Center?

Are there a lot of activities for young people at the community centers?

What is some of the development that is coming besides the shopping area with the Harris Teeter?

I admit the mall needs work, are there plans to renovate the mall?

For those who live in one of the three areas, how do you like living there?
Personally, I would go with Manassas on the Prince William County side. My best friend lives in that area off of Dumfries Rd and I think the area is pretty. I've heard the best schools are in the PWC version.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 AM

9 posts, read 48,631 times
We moved to City of Manassas from FL about a year ago and we have been renting here since. We've had time to get to know the area (my husband works in Chantilly and I work in Fairfax) and what we can get for our money as far as housing. We are now looking to buy a house and we are looking primarily in the Manassas area, not only because of affordability but also because we like it. We are preferencing the Prince William Co. Schools part of Manassas, but are not ruling out houses in other areas.

As far as activities for young people, Prince William County Parks and Rec has a lot of good options, some in Manassas and others a little bit of a drive.

There's a lot of development happening in the Manassas Park area around the VRE station. Looks like it will be really nice once they get tenants, which is, of course, iffy in this economy.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
I have lived in both the City of Manassas and Prince William County with a Manassas mailing address and can offer the following.

I found PWC Schools to be exceptional. I grew up in Fairfax County and found PWCS to be the best kept secret of Northern VA. I have two boys, one graduated and the other a current senior. Definitely get on the PWCS.edu site and look into their specialty programs. The specalty programs are open as early as elementary school. Such programs include,

http://www.pwcs.edu/Curriculum/Speci...oolprogram.pdf
http://www.pwcs.edu/Curriculum/Speci...tyPrograms.pdf

Sixteen of the elementary schools also have special programs, including foreign languages starting in kindergarten.

My oldest boy enrolled in the first year of the Math and Science program when it started. My youngest enrolled in elementary foreign language, went on to Math and Science, and finishing with BioTech in HS. JROTC is also offered at this HS and he is in his 3rd year. JROTC has been invaluable. It has taught him responsibility of possessions, proper care of property, and he gets himself up and off to school without my assistance (and ontime!) I sleep in (for the most part - there are occasions I need to drive him in).

But it gets better. If the child applies (and is accepted) into a specialty school, the PWCS have a specialty bus route to get the kids to the school they chosen. Academic achievement is not necessarily a requirement, but the desire to participate must be there. When a child has a say in what they want to study, there is a whole new attitude towards school. Manassas City and Manassas Park do not have the tax base, nor the number of schools to offer these options. While the City does offer quality schools, they just don't compare when compared to what is available in the county, both academically and in sports.

And finally, the one other place where PWC outshines the other two jurisdictions are the public parks. Seriously, go get lost in this site:

Prince William County Park Authority - Home

Somewhere along the line, PWC slowly created a wonderful public park system.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Thank you all for the info so far. SmartMoney definitely thank you for the info about the schools. That is quite plus to know that our child (and future children) can choose what path to go on. That gives PWC a plus over the MP and the city of Manassas. Keep the info coming, good or bad. This is helping us a lot.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
The principal at Osbourn HS in C of M is retiring at then end of this school year. The reason I mention it, is because he has been hiding in his office for so long, doing nothing, that it would probably take a few years for the general public to realize he is gone.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The principal at Osbourn HS in C of M is retiring at then end of this school year. The reason I mention it, is because he has been hiding in his office for so long, doing nothing, that it would probably take a few years for the general public to realize he is gone.
But what about Metz Middle? What's the problem there? It seems like all the schools in that area have bad ratings.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Metz has followed a disturbing trend, where students are disciplined based on race. Ironically, many of the insiders will tell you that the behavior exhibited by the students at Mayfield Middle School is actually more shocking.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Metz has followed a disturbing trend, where students are disciplined based on race. Ironically, many of the insiders will tell you that the behavior exhibited by the students at Mayfield Middle School is actually more shocking.
Not sure where you get your info from sometimes. My kids went to Metz then Osbourn and had no problems at all. Same with their friends. My niece is an honor student at Metz and is thriving. No matter where the school is the student and their parents play a big role in their successes or failures. I know many other kids at both Metz and Mayfield that are thriving.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 PM

And what Universities are they attending Bigfoot? Did they have Mr. Johnson for Music Class?
http://badbadteacher.com/ted-johnson/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia