Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:32 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times

Advertisements

There are no barriers either at any of the stores I shop at - BUT!! I do take issue w/the people that wheel the cart to their car and then dump the cart either in another parking spot, work at getting it up over a median, etc. rather than taking it back to the store or to a cart corral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM

187 posts, read 443,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There are no barriers either at any of the stores I shop at - BUT!! I do take issue w/the people that wheel the cart to their car and then dump the cart either in another parking spot, work at getting it up over a median, etc. rather than taking it back to the store or to a cart corral.

Oh I know, that annoys me too! I park close to the corrals so I don't have to walk very far to put the cart back. Not to mention my kids are in the car too.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:57 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
Ugh, I used to hate this. That's how the supermarkets were in Maryland. Now most of the ones I go to have corrals in the parking lot to put them in. So much better. When I have my two little ones with me, it would be impossible to carry the groceries and the kids to the car! I always try to park near a corral but I have been guilty of strategically placing it somewhere in the parking lot, too - but only if my kids are in the car and I don't want to leave them to put the cart back.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
When I moved here almost all of the stores had them. The reason they now allow you to take carts to the parking lot is because of a lawsuit won by those with disabilities. Those barriers stop more than carts. I'm glad to see them disappearing.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,943 times
In my suburb in San Diego, all markets (tiny sole proprietorship and the big supermarkets) must pay the city a fee for "cart recovery"- for those carts that wander off the property, either by dopey kids or homeless people. The city regularly picks up carts- but I don't know if they destroy them or return them to individual stores.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM

107 posts, read 250,955 times
This is an interesting book, since the topic has turned to lost shopping carts...Amazon.com: The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification (9780810955202): Julian Montague: Books

Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM

257 posts, read 566,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, if a store is too cheap to pay employees to pick up carts from cart corrals (ie Harris Teeter in Reston) I'm not going to oblige them and bring the cart back to the storefront.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ugh, I used to hate this. That's how the supermarkets were in Maryland. Now most of the ones I go to have corrals in the parking lot to put them in. So much better. When I have my two little ones with me, it would be impossible to carry the groceries and the kids to the car! I always try to park near a corral but I have been guilty of strategically placing it somewhere in the parking lot, too - but only if my kids are in the car and I don't want to leave them to put the cart back.
Yeah, I always try to park near a corral when I have the kids with me, for this very reason. But if there isn't a spot available near a corral - or if the store doesn't have corrals at all, like my Giant in Falls Church - then it's a rock and a hard place. That's when I sometimes resort to using the median; as ugly as it looks and as much as I NEVER would have done that when I was childless, at least the cart isn't taking up a parking space or rolling into people. And I don't have to leave my kids alone in the car that way (which you're really not supposed to do, anyway).

I think what the store wants us to do is bring the kids to the car, and leave the groceries up by the store entrance and drive over to pick up the groceries and load them. Sometimes I do this but I'm never entirely comfortable with it - in part because half the time, the loading area is already full up with carts and cars, and I don't know where to put myself! Plus it feels weird to abandon all those groceries, even for a few minutes.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM

372 posts, read 1,117,024 times
Could be for a number of reasons:

1) Perhaps the parking lot is small, and they would rather have a few more parking spaces than a return your cart area
2) Perhaps the parking lot is small and this helps people not leave carts out in the parking lot making it hard for people to park
3) Perhaps they save money by not paying people to go gather carts and bring them back into the store.
4) Perhaps they won't lose as many carts and the carts will stay in better condition because people are less likely to abuse them if they are right next to the store
5) Perhaps those concrete posts have another job, to keep cars from accidentally running into the side of the building

Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
It seems to be going by the wayside, thank goodness. It was one of those horrid things dreamed up by Giant and Safeway when they had duopoly control of the grocery market in this area. When other chains moved in (Trader Joe's, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods) things started to change for the better. I think Giant was the greatest abomonation to ever visit itself on our food culture. High prices, dingy stores, mediocre food, a labor union service culture and the cart barriers, plus they were from Maryland. I'm glad their time of grocery domination has ended. I still refuse to shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia