Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM

30 posts, read 119,803 times

Advertisements

We've noticed since moving to Fairfax that every single grocery store has barriers in front of the store, making it obnoxiously difficult to get your cart to your car to unload your groceries.

Why is this? Is there a law requiring these barriers, or is it just some precedence set by someone and now everyone does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
I know what you are talking about, but I haven't seen them around here at the supermarkets we shop. They are really annoying though.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,550 times
Not everyone does this. The Wegmans in Fairfax doesn't...the Giant in Oakton doesn't...the Shoppers in Falls Church doesn't...the Safeway in Pan Am plaza doesn't...and these are just the ones that I've shopped at.

But the Giant in Falls Church does this, so you're definitely not making it up Maybe the Shoppers in Fairfax City, too,. My guess is that this design is specifically meant to keep carts from rolling around the parking lot. The Giant in Falls Church doesn't even have any corrals in the parking lot, so you have to take your cart back even if you manage to get it out there. That parking lot is crazy, though, so I'm glad there aren't too many carts rolling around.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,520 times
I heard that many grocery carts "disappear" each year, and these are costly, so they cut into a slim profit margin. Grocers are making it harder for people to walk off with the carts.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
None of the stores I shop at have visible barriers, however, they have put a very rough, bumpy surface in the area where you walk into the street. There have been times that it actually has been tough to push my cart over that stuff. But the purpose is to keep the loose carts from rolling into the road.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,611,202 times
The barriers are to cut down on shopping cart theft, and to a lesser extent reduce damage -- those cockeyed wheels and such rarely come from in-store handling.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
In some places, I think it's a requirement of the landlord/property management because they want to mitigate any potential claims for damage in the parking lot. There are many more effective means of keeping carts from being stolen, such as the locking wheels, etc. But, I don't think that's a huge problem in Fairfax, since most everyone drives to the store.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 AM

631 posts, read 1,291,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The barriers are to cut down on shopping cart theft, and to a lesser extent reduce damage -- those cockeyed wheels and such rarely come from in-store handling.
This.

Anyone who has ever seen a homeless person walking around with a stolen shopping cart carrying their life belongings understands why grocery stores do this...

Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM

60 posts, read 217,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
This.

Anyone who has ever seen a homeless person walking around with a stolen shopping cart carrying their life belongings understands why grocery stores do this...

Where I live you see this all the time in certain areas. Also, some people use the carts to take their groceries home if they live within walking distance. Or use them for go-carts, etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
We've noticed since moving to Fairfax that every single grocery store has barriers in front of the store, making it obnoxiously difficult to get your cart to your car to unload your groceries.

Why is this? Is there a law requiring these barriers, or is it just some precedence set by someone and now everyone does it?

I think the barriers are a thing of the past...and are removed as stores are updated. I know the chain grocer at my strip center has removed them and put corrals out in the parking lot.

The store manager told me that the savings from getting rid of the employees that loaded cars more than offsets the losses from stolen carts.

It's a good thing teenagers don't want to work nowadays, because that was a great "kid" job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia