Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,701,807 times

Advertisements

So now that I was forced to miss Reston Town Center's Christmas celebration (held on a weekend I was out of town) and the Old Town celebration (held during a moderate snow storm), what is left to help ring in the season in this region? Anything?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,687,713 times
These boat parades are pretty loosely organized....if you want to participate, just fire up and be at such and such a place at such and such a time. Snow could possibly reduce the number of boats....it's very hazardous trying to walk on oiled teak decks that are covered with snow. One little slip and you can end up in the drink. It wouldn't stop me...I'd just make sure all guests stay in the enclosed areas of the boat...NO strolling the decks!

I participated in the DC/Alex parade for years, but no more...it's just too long a cruise from my place on the Eastern Shore of the Bay, about a 300 mile round trip.

But I WILL be in Annapolis next Saturday night...the Annapolis Christmas boat parade is much, much better anyway!

Take a trip to Annapolis next Saturday night, folks...6:00-8:00pm, Eastport Yacht Club!!

Annapolis Christmas Lights Boat Parade - Eastport Yacht Club Parade of Lights

Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times
There are still several events in Alexandria, including candlelight tours and another tree lighting next weekend, and charity shopping night at 10k Villages on the 12th.

Here's a link to events: Visit Alexandria - Calendar of Events

ETA: The Leesburg Christmas parade and festival is next weekend, December 12th, on King Street, since this past weekend was a holiday craft fair at Ida Lee and the Middleburg parade. Town of Leesburg - Calendar of Events

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-06-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,701,807 times
Thanks for the tip about the Leesburg festivities! A co-worker of mine is having a Christmas party at 5:30 Saturday evening, but perhaps we'll be able to swing by Leesburg for a few hours to "pre-party!"

Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So now that I was forced to miss Reston Town Center's Christmas celebration (held on a weekend I was out of town) and the Old Town celebration (held during a moderate snow storm), what is left to help ring in the season in this region? Anything?!
The 2009 National Christmas Tree in Washington, DC

Holiday Magic (http://www.usbg.gov/education/events/Holiday-Magic.cfm - broken link)

Plus there's usually some sort of carolers around Old Town, candlelight tours, shopping in Georgetown (for some reason pops in my head, I think because I did it once on the way home from college years ago).

Top 10 Washington, DC Holiday Activities

Does Scranton not get as much snow as I think it does, or was the weather really that bad out in Virginia? It's not like I'm from Minnesota or anything, but all I saw on Saturday was a glorified snow flurry. Even for this area I wouldn't have called it a "storm" since nothing stuck (not even to grass or cars) and I didn't find any ice. Regardless, judging from my friends' pictures of the Scottish festival, I don't think Old Town was hurting for visitors.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Doesn't the Waterskiing Santa do his thing on Christmas Eve? Or just a few days before Christmas? If that sounds appealing, give it a google.

The local papers are chock full of various holiday events. Both the Loudoun Times and the Loudoun Independent have lists online. I'm sure the Reston papers do too.

Get the same friends together that were going to go down to Alexandria with you, and throw a little party. When I was your age we liked to throw parties based on watching The Grinch That Stole Christmas. Everyone would have a shot whenever one of the characters said "Hoo."

Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 AM

The boat parade is festive, but it's not that exciting--only worthwhile if the weather's nice, IMO. Definitely not worth standing in the rain. They have another one in Annapolis, if you feel you missed out.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Does Scranton not get as much snow as I think it does, or was the weather really that bad out in Virginia?
It was a lot of heavy, wet snow falling for several hours. Not powdery snow but the heavy, wet, dense snow that causes the big headaches. And being the first storm of the winter, there were fools out on the road who had forgotten how to drive on wet snow. Even if you feel comfortable with your own driving skills, you never know about the other drivers. It only takes one idiot to cause a major wreck. IMO Scran made the smart decision--there are plenty of other holiday events. While the boat parade is pretty, it isn't an exciting enough event to be worth driving on slick roads. It's just boats with Christmas lights on them.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It was a lot of heavy, wet snow falling for several hours. And being the first storm of the winter, there were fools out on the road who had forgotten how to drive on wet snow. Even if you feel comfortable with your own driving skills, you never know about the other drivers. It only takes one idiot to cause a major wreck. IMO Scran made the smart decision--there are plenty of other holiday events and the boat isn't that exciting, anyway. It's pretty, but it's just boats with Christmas lights on them.
I was just curious, because over my way it was actually a little disappointing. It often surprises me how different the weather can be just a few miles away (or something literally right across the river). I stayed off the roads for the most part because of other drivers (I've made that mistake before), but when I went out later that night I was surprised how clear everything was. Then again, on the news it sounded like they actually pre-treated the roads for once, so maybe that helped.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I was just curious, because over my way it was actually a little disappointing. It often surprises me how different the weather can be just a few miles away (or something literally right across the river). I stayed off the roads for the most part because of other drivers (I've made that mistake before), but when I went out later that night I was surprised how clear everything was. Then again, on the news it sounded like they actually pre-treated the roads for once, so maybe that helped.
I know--that was the craziest storm I've ever seen in Virginia. And the amount of snow really varied from neighborhood to neighborhood. Pretty stuff, lots of fun to play in--but wacky weather, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia