Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Seems to me it's just about time for another big invention to be born... and dontcha think the odds are pretty good that it'll be born (or at least developed) right here in Nova?

I mean, think about it. The pieces all seem to be in place.

1. We have all these highly educated people moving here, many of them with a diverse collection of degrees. And a diverse background of experiences.

2. A lot of these people will be working in govt. jobs where they'll be bored. And there will be a lot of other bored people at work to bounce ideas off of. Seems like a breeding ground for imaginations to wander... and that's how a lot of inventions are born.

3. Many people will be moving here with highly educated and imaginative spouses who may not necessarily have jobs and who might be interested in starting new businesses.

4. There's a lot of money here.

5. And, perhaps most important, Northern Virginia has challenges that could inspire interesting solutions. Just think how our traffic issues could inspire some truly great ideas. Or the challenge of heavy snow hitting an area that isn't used to a lot of snow. Last week's blizzard just might have been the spark for some brilliant idea.

So what do you think--are we likely to see some big new inventions here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
LOL, sure, some scientist will come up with a brilliant idea. But he'll be too busy driving around the beltway to actually write it down.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, sure, some scientist will come up with a brilliant idea. But he'll be too busy driving around the beltway to actually write it down.
LOL--but you know, that's exactly what I'm getting at. When you're stuck in traffic, that's the time your mind wanders and you come up with all sorts of ideas. OK, some of the ideas are about murdering the driver next to you. But with thousands of drivers out there, it seems reasonable that gridlock might inspire a major invention.

A physicist stuck in traffic might start thinking "When will Star Trek come true because we need that beam-me-up-Scotty mode of transportation!" And then, while he's sitting there staring at the traffic in Springfield he suddenly sees how to make it work.

Or, a doctor stuck at Tysons Corner could start making comparisons to arteries and veins and suddenly be inspired to develop a new method for stenting.

Or, someone with a weak bladder who's stuck on the beltway could come up with an invention that would vaporize human waste. (Wouldn't that be a great invention! Just press a button on your underwear and urine evaporates--no need to ever wait in line for a rest room again.)

Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 AM

Hmmmm, you have much more interesting ideas while driving than I do! Mostly I just think things like "what are the words to that song, because I could swear what that he sang sounded like don't allow dogs to eat your toothpaste."

But, to address the question I could see the next big invention having to do with solving security issues. And it seems like most of the people dealing with security issues are working in the DC metro area. So for that reason we very well could see a major invention developed here.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM

Oh, and you know what, speaking about the snow we had last week gave me a brainstorm. And I'm not even stuck in traffic!

I think someone will invent a better way to handle snow than shoving it with a snow plow. One of the biggest problems in the world is a decreasing supply of potable fresh water. And yet here we have all this fresh water falling from the sky in the form of snow and all we do is shove it aside and get oil and sand in it. If an engineer or a scientist could create a way to reduce snowdrifts to the size of an ice cube, we could then easily move the snow to a better site where it could be expanded and used as drinking water. Now that's my idea of a good invention.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM

Oh, and here's another one. All those Californians who are moving here and planting palm trees and banana trees. Surely one of them will come up with a horticultural breakthrough in an effort to save his bananas.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Quote:
Oh, and here's another one. All those Californians who are moving here and planting palm trees and banana trees. Surely one of them will come up with a horticultural breakthrough in an effort to save his bananas.
You mean like moving to the 30th parallel?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
I think the great inventions will come in government, like getting rid of so many draconian laws so that we can bring back jobs to the United States.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think the great inventions will come in government, like getting rid of so many draconian laws so that we can bring back jobs to the United States.
Now that would be great! And hey, how about some sort of invention that forces different branches of the government to share information and work together. Not sure what sort of invention could do that, but it'd sure be a handy invention to have....

Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Mostly I just think things like "what are the words to that song, because I could swear what that he sang sounded like don't allow dogs to eat your toothpaste."
LOL, hey maybe those are the right words. They make more sense than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia