Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Something new and exciting coming to Reston? BAH! We can't have progress here. Are you trying to give the anti-density/anti-rail/anti-progress NIMBYs a heart attack?
Scranny you have been in this area for about a year or so? Quit knocking the growth and opportunities that are coming in this direction. Just think, you could be back in NEPA working at the Dollar store, barely getting by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It still seems like another win for the region even if the number of new positions in the area is limited - NG will be more likely to sponsor DC-area events and charities if it's headquartered in the area, and it helps to solidify the area's reputation as a home for Fortune 1000 companies.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
As I said up above, all the technical workers are staying in LA area. There's lots of former TRW employees (NG bought TRW years ago) working out at locations around the LA area - especially a huge location in Redondo Beach.
Ah, Space Park. I remember it well, I worked there for many years. I'm sure it'll still be bustling and not turn into a ghost town. OTOH, it's funny how many e-mails I've received lately from my former co-workers, and from people who went to my old church in Manhattan Beach. It seems like an awful lot of aerospace engineers are looking for work and thinking about moving to Virginia.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Too bad NG sold the Chantilly complex to TASC. That would have been such a great corporate HQ.

Reston might get it, but probably a new office building and not the tower on Sunrise Valley (that building's already filled, no point in moving people, and it's not that deluxe anyway). Loudoun stands a fair chance to get it, maybe they should tout the new Weggie's. I could see NG putting the offices in that new complex behind Weggies, LOL.

No way Maryland's going to get it, IMO. The real reason NG's leaving California is because the tax burden got out of control. The budget got in trouble and CA tried to stick it to the businesses. MD has the same attitude towards taxes that California has, so I can't see NG getting into that sort of situation again. Virginia is much more business friendly.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
It still seems like another win for the region even if the number of new positions in the area is limited - NG will be more likely to sponsor DC-area events and charities if it's headquartered in the area, and it helps to solidify the area's reputation as a home for Fortune 1000 companies.
You know what else, it helps to solidify the area's reputation for being economically healthy. Companies don't move their headquarters to cities that are in trouble, or cities that have a temporary job gain that will dry up in a year or two. They move to areas that they know will be thriving for years to come.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 14,311 times
NG already has a huge presence in this area, in case no one knew.

NG moving their corporate headquarters with only 300 people is really symbolic.

NG has their Electronic Systems headquartered already in Linthicum, MD where they already have huge campus.

NG also has their Information Systems unit headquartered in NoVA.

Good news, but no surprise and no major impact.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowboatfun View Post
NG already has a huge presence in this area, in case no one knew.

NG moving their corporate headquarters with only 300 people is really symbolic.

NG has their Electronic Systems headquartered already in Linthicum, MD where they already have huge campus.

NG also has their Information Systems unit headquartered in NoVA.

Yes, we knew. It doesn't mean there will be tons of new NG jobs in the area or that every real estate developer trying to sell a $2 million home to a C-level executive is suddenly going to find a buyer.

Even so, moving a corporate HQ of a major corporation to the area from California is more than symbolic (although I wouldn't minimize the significance if it was only symbolic). It will likely mean more work for area businesses (service providers and subcontractors) that already work with NG, as well as increased NG sponsorship of local events.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

15 posts, read 14,311 times
Quote:
Yes, we knew. It doesn't mean there will be tons of new NG jobs in the area or that every real estate developer trying to sell a $2 million home to a C-level executive is suddenly going to find a buyer.

Even so, moving a corporate HQ of a major corporation to the area from California is more than symbolic (although I wouldn't minimize the significance if it was only symbolic). It will likely mean more work for area businesses (service providers and subcontractors) that already work with NG, as well as increased NG sponsorship of local events.
And as I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowboatfun View Post

Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Exactly.

Ah, Space Park. I remember it well, I worked there for many years. I'm sure it'll still be bustling and not turn into a ghost town. OTOH, it's funny how many e-mails I've received lately from my former co-workers, and from people who went to my old church in Manhattan Beach. It seems like an awful lot of aerospace engineers are looking for work and thinking about moving to Virginia.
Yes, Space Park was what I was referring to. Anyway, as noted, only 300 upper management level types from corporate HQ will be transferred. That won't affect Space Park at all.

However, interesting on your observations about apparent trends of aerospace engineers out there looking at moving to Virginia.

On a related note - did everyone see that Lockheed Martin will be eilminating 1200 jobs - possibly many of them in this area - due to consolidations of operations of two divisions. one of which happens to be at what used to be IBM in Manassas. I hope the number of people at Manassas effected will be small - I worked there for many years when it was IBM Federal Systems Div.

Will be interesting to see as more details come out - but it is not good news in any event.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I wonder what those Northrop execs are thinking... first thought has got to be "BRRRRRRR!" since they found out this news the same week Nova dove into a cold snap

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,517 times
Here's the deal. I'm a Maryland native, now living in the midwest. These are the reasons why there is no way in Hell maryland will ever get the NG HQ:

1. It moved from California to escape Marxist business politics...Maryland govt practices same cult thinking: tax the rich, redistribute wealth. 9.5% corp. tax rate in MD/ 5.5% in Va.

2. Md. politicians who still after everything they went through in the 1980s stilll...still...think that the city of Baltimore can compete with DC... It can't even compete with Arlington or Alexandria. The Gen. Leg. in Md. will try to get the HQ in the Baltimore area.

3. No. Va. already has several sites NG can move to. Md. is currently undergoing environmental assessments before the Leg. will know where it could move.

4. No. Va. has an international airport that serves 38 international cities nonstop; Maryland has BWI which serves Southwest Airlines.

5. Md. has a $8 billion deficit; Va.'s deficit is half that and showing signs of decreasing.

6. Md. wants to increase taxes further---a second hike in 10 months.

7. No. Va. is already home to major international aerospace giants. Have you ever been around BWI or PG County? It's like a baren waste land compared to the sprawl of Northern Virginia. Montgomery County gave up competing with N. Va. years ago as the state legislature hobbled it (jealous that it's the state's major economic engine and not Baltimore).

There are more reasons, but once you calculate all that I have already mentioned, why bother to mention more? It's already enough reason to give NG the decision to move to N. Va. It's a no brainer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia