Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM

20 posts, read 60,826 times

Advertisements

Hello-

In mid-June, our family will relocate from Florida to Northern Virginia. I will be commuting to downtown DC and my spouse will be commuting to near Reagan National Airport. From our research, it appears that the Springfield/Burke area would be a good choice for us- decent commutes (45 minutes or less); very good schools for our children, ages 5 and 7; and decent single family homes in the $500k range.

We are looking for educated, local insight to the area. Are we on track or are there other areas we should consider? Your insight is very much appreciated!

Thanks so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,522 times
We recently relocated to the area and chose Burke for the same reasons after much research and the great advice I got on this forum. It has great schools and many amenities. While you do have the option of driving to Springfield metro station or taking the VRE (commuter train), don't count on having a 45 minute commute if you or your spouse work downtown. Traffic is pretty bad here.

The thing with Burke is that the supply of single-family homes for sale is low, particularly in that price range. If you are looking for a townhome, you'll have more options. My suggestion is to consider other areas near Burke so you have more options (e.g., some parts of 22032). Springfield is a mix so if you care about the good schools watch out for that. Just as a FYI, West Springfield is closer to Burke.

Good luck with your relocation plans,

Last edited by mlv311; 05-22-2007 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,510,606 times
The whole Burke/Springfield/Franconia/Kingstowne arc is going to be a nice. And it stays that way west of the Beltway (I-495) up through the sort of nothern version...Fairfax/Oakton/Vienna/McLean/Falls Church. Prices go up a little as you head north, but houses in the low to mid-500's are out there in all those locations. You really can't go too far wrong in any of them. As already noted, commutes of 45 minutes to DC from any of those places will be uncommon. Better figure on an hour, depending where in DC the job is. The National Airport area might be the tougher one to do via public transit. My advice would be to map out those commutes very carefully. Underestimating the daily effort required to actually get to and from work is probably the most common mistake that people make when moving into this area...

Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,901,263 times
you've gotten great advice here. 45 will be a rare good day! (this monday...memorial day...govt offices closed!)

Again I'll say as other have stay west in Springfield. Burke is a nice area with parks and good schools. hOusing is tight in that budget though. You will find houses in that price range but most will be in need of massive updating. I did see a few updated split levels that were nice though for around 470K. Split levels are always harder to sell than tradtional 2 level. I know friends who rave about the schools in Burke, so there a plus!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM

798 posts, read 2,731,235 times
We lived in Burke for two school years a few years back and were very happy with the schools and community. We had one child in jr high and one in high school. The commute is a concern as others have said but if I remember correctly you can drive over to the Springfield metro and get in to National that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia