Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times

Advertisements

BTW-I love the Lake Anne farmers market! Just has a cool vibe to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
If one wanted proximity to the town center though I'd wholeheartedly recommend they instead consider living in my neighborhood. The complexes of Parc Reston, The Sycamores, and Archstone Charter Oak are all just across Reston Parkway from the town center, yet all have 1-BR rentals starting at around $1,100/month. It is several hundred dollars more per month, at least, to rent a 1-BR unit in a town center high-rise. It just seems mind-boggling to me that people would be willing to pay an extra few thousand dollars per year to live IN the town center when they can live a 5-minute walk from it for less.

The town center is nice in some respects. I like the ice skating rink that doubles as a concert venue in the warmer months. I like the fact that it has a movie theater. I love the fountain. I like the farmers' market (although I prefer the one at Lake Anne, which I can also walk to). It's just the array of businesses that I find to be disappointing. It's as if the town center just tries so hard to be trendy that it makes itself uncool in the process. I like the running store. I also like the stationery store. The bike store is another nice touch. There might be two more independent businesses in the entire complex though. You can find most of these other chains in Fairfax, Ashburn/Sterling, or Tyson's Corner---they're probably just not in mid-rise buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM

58 posts, read 117,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I wish you all the best then, and hope you find what you're seeking. But... just a thought... since I see that you've been looking around at a variety of cities and are not yet settled on Nova, maybe you should consider Austin. Austin is a fun little town with lots of entertainment, they have even more growth than we do here in Nova, and it's not as expensive. I see you live in Arizona and all the cities you've been considering so far are western cities. This makes me think Austin or Denver might be better choices for you. Moving to Nova from Arizona can be a culture shock, especially if you own a business (unless it is specifically a government-related PR business). If you do decide to move to Nova, make sure you have definite offers for those teaching jobs. Since you're considering a variety of cities, I get the feeling you're thinking of moving here and then looking for a teaching position. That's not as easy as you may think. Just my two cents.
So funny you mentioned Austin! I just had an interview there (by phone) yesterday. I used to live there and, although it's a great town, I think it's going to be a bit laid back for me. I'm really looking for something more along the lines of "New York - Lite." I hear DC has a lot of energy, a great intellectual community, good networking, high quality of life, and a bustling arts/cultural community. These are extremely attractive to me.

I already have sufficient income and teach for many universities as an online professor (something I can do anywhere, which is terrific), so no worries there. But definitely great advice.

I'm heading to D.C. the last week of this month to check out the area. So far, everyone's been very welcoming and extremely helpful. I've even gotten myself invited to some wonderful events. So keep your fingers crossed - I think D.C. might be an ideal new home for me.

I really appreciate all of these responses - it's so very kind.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Excellent info. Yes, I always feel very safe in L.A. Never had any problems in all the many years I lived there. Good to know these things about NoVa.

Thanks much!!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Any suggestions as to good neighborhoods in D.C.?

Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I think Dupont Circle is lovely. Expensive but lovely!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I have Bethesda experience, and if cost is not an issue, it would meet all of the requirements above - stores, movie theatres, regular theatre, restaurants galore, and not confined to 20-somethings. There are older professionals, families, younger singles, and childless couples. It has a metro (red line to DC) and a bike trail that leads to Georgetown. It's a great, happening place, but it is uber-expensive. When I left 10 years ago a small 1-bedroom was at least $1,000. I imagine you cannot touch it for under $1,500 now. It is a small, walkable city in and of itself. If my husband's job were not in Manassas, we were going to buy a house (albeit very small and old) there.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
I used to live on the West end of Georgetown- Palisades and absolutely LOVED it. It's walking distance to M street in Georgetown. It's a little more residential feel, but super closer to everything. Georgetown is filled with a lot of college students though so not sure how you'd feel about that. I'm guessing a one bedroom runs around $1400 now, so a studio would be less if you can find one. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I liked the Shirlington and Del Ray suggestions. You'd be close enough to DC, yet still in NOVA. Networking happens in all sorts of places at all sorts of times, so I'd look for something with commuting flexibility (about both of those places could work well). For instance, IABC meets in Arlington, while PRSA usually meets in downtown DC. A lot of the social media groups meet in DC, while some of the more tech/gov't organizations often select Tysons Corner for their events.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Great info re IABC and PRSA - thanks oodles!

You all are amazing, really!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phddoc View Post
Any suggestions as to good neighborhoods in D.C.?

Thanks for your reply!
It's been a zillion years since I lived downtown, but FWIW, I really liked the Woodley Park area (Connecticut and Calvert NW if my memory is still working). It's closer to the action than many of the Upper NW neighborhoods, has a metro stop, and cool places to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia