Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 135,655 times

Advertisements

My husband will be stationed at Fort Belvoir and I am a dental hygienist. We will be moving from Califonia and I would like advice about the best places to live. My husband would like his commute to be 30 minutes or less and I would like to work for a cosmetic dentist. We are looking for a single family home ($600,000 +/-)with a back yard for our dogs. I would prefer a newer home or developement but my main concern is safety and a nice community. Any advise on areas to live and areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Your two best bets are the City of Alexandria (yes there is a non city limit address) and springfield/franconia. I would be a little wary of the Rt. 1 corridor north of belvoir amd south of the actual Alexandria city limits and the beltway. That area has a few issues with crime and schools. It is called the unicorporated part of Alexandria.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,769 times
Kingstowne (planned community in Alexandria) is very close to Ft Belvoir and has good schools and low crime rate. Think 600K+ though, not 600K-. There's probably not much under 600K unless you look at townhomes. Avoid anything right off of rt.1.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
If you really mean to keep to the 30-minute commuting limit and will be working standard hours, you'll likely need to stick with the areas immediately adjacent to Ft. Belvoir -- Lorton, Newington, Pohick Estates and a few others. If you go too far out, you'll get bogged down in the general commuting traffic mess, and 30 minutes will become 60 minutes very quickly...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Default What about Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Your two best bets are the City of Alexandria (yes there is a non city limit address) and springfield/franconia. I would be a little wary of the Rt. 1 corridor north of belvoir amd south of the actual Alexandria city limits and the beltway. That area has a few issues with crime and schools. It is called the unicorporated part of Alexandria.
Thank you. I will check out Alexandria and springfield/franconia. What do you think about Burke?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Kingstowne (planned community in Alexandria) is very close to Ft Belvoir and has good schools and low crime rate. Think 600K+ though, not 600K-. There's probably not much under 600K unless you look at townhomes. Avoid anything right off of rt.1.
Thank you. I looked at some homes online and Kingstowne looks very nice.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If you really mean to keep to the 30-minute commuting limit and will be working standard hours, you'll likely need to stick with the areas immediately adjacent to Ft. Belvoir -- Lorton, Newington, Pohick Estates and a few others. If you go too far out, you'll get bogged down in the general commuting traffic mess, and 30 minutes will become 60 minutes very quickly...
Thanks. I will check out these areas.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 26,483 times
Default Kingstowne is the place to be

I think Kingstowne would meet your needs. It could be difficult to find a single family home within 30 minutes of the base in your price range. I am actually moving from Fort Belvoir (probably putting my townhouse on the market) very soon (this summer.) I live in a townhome community called Island Creek that is about 5 minutes to the commisary on post. Although my home does not have a yard, there are gobs of public space right behind the house. The community is VERY dog friendly. Plus, you cant beat the commute!!!

Let me know if you would be interested in a great townhome in great shape within running distance of the post in one of the best neighborhoods around....Great schools too!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolendorf View Post
I think Kingstowne would meet your needs. It could be difficult to find a single family home within 30 minutes of the base in your price range. I am actually moving from Fort Belvoir (probably putting my townhouse on the market) very soon (this summer.) I live in a townhome community called Island Creek that is about 5 minutes to the commisary on post. Although my home does not have a yard, there are gobs of public space right behind the house. The community is VERY dog friendly. Plus, you cant beat the commute!!!

Let me know if you would be interested in a great townhome in great shape within running distance of the post in one of the best neighborhoods around....Great schools too!!

Just curious-how much are you going to be asking?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Kingstowne and Island Creek are great neighborhoods, but it may be difficult to find a single-family house in your price range, as they are mostly nice townhomes and the single-family homes tend to be $700,000 and up. I suggest Hayfield Farm; it's an older neighborhood but most of the properties are beautifully maintained with nice yards and within your price range. It's literally next door to Fort Belvoir on the Telegraph Road / Beulah Street entrance. Another neighborhood nearby with single-family homes is Landsdowne. Check out zip code 22315 at REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and I think you'll be pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia