Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

I know I can mapquest this but who has the easiest DRIVING route for me to get from Round Hill to Union Station to pick up MIL at 6:00 PM on Saturday? and any ideas of how long i should allow? Fine with taking toll roads if needed, just want something easy since I've never driven in before (or at least not recently

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
EASIEST and fastes would be to get on 267 to 66 to 50 (constitution AV). Then I believe (I only went to the station 2x and I wasn't driving) to Lousianna to the Columbus circle.
The parking Garage is on Massachusettes Ave.

we were cheap and didn't want to pay the tolls so....
we always took rt7 to 694 (lewinville RD) (to avoid Tysons...esp on weekends) to George town pike
'Then to 123 (dolly madison?) Then got on hte GW parkway...(beautiful drive too) took the brige (50/66) over and Constitution ave.

Sat afternoon should be easy.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Stay to the right on Constitution to avoid mandatory left turn lanes, and an optional one at 6th, opposite the National Gallery, but then get over to the left as the road merges with Pennsylvania Avenue as you will need to make the next left (double left turn lane).

When you make the left on Louisiana, stay to the right, since you will need to avoid cars that may be turning left on New Jersey and North Capitol. You will make a right on Columbus Circle in front of Union Station, and will want to get to the left to turn into Union Station as opposed to heading to Capitol Hill on Massachusetts Avenue.

If you're headed to the garage, go straight up the ramp from the right left turn lane, but if you are just picking up a passenger, continue to make the turn to the left and follow the signs to the designated pick up lane.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM

thanks guys, you are the very best! now if only I can find a restauant in the area...

Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
Or drive to the West Falls Church metro, park in the parking garage, and take Metro to Union Station. Eat at a restaurant in Union Station or across the street at The Dubliner, then take the train back to Falls Church and drive home from there. It might sound more complicated to drive and take the train but it's less stressful than navigating traffic and parking in an area with which you're not familiar. I'd do that for my own sanity anyway.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
we lived in Leesburg and went into DC at least 1x month.
We did use the metro a few times...BUT on weekends...It is soooo much easier to Drive and actually less time and less stressful.

especially if you have luggage etc... finding the station, parking and are not familiar with the metro, buying tickets..etc (may sound silly but it can be a hassle)
Plus EVERYTIME we went in we missed the exit for west Falls church metro and always ended up in Ballston! Maybe it's just me but I sware it's not well marked!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM

32 posts, read 84,251 times
My MIL visited over Thanksgiving and I picked her up at Union Station. I don't remember the exact way I went, just followed my gps and it was a piece of cake. I found that parking in the garage at Union Station was the easiest, just remember to get your parking ticket validated on your way out of the station. With a validated ticket, the parking is a lot cheaper. We had lunch at one of the restaurants in the station, it was called America and was very good. We were able to sit at a table over looking the "mall" area of the station which was nice. I had never been to Union Station and enjoyed walking around looking at the shops while I waited for her train to come in.

We are waiting to close on our house in Round Hill, thought it would be this afternoon, but it looks like there may be a delay. If all goes well, we will be moving in over the next few days.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 AM

66 posts, read 199,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
We did use the metro a few times...BUT on weekends...It is soooo much easier to Drive and actually less time and less stressful.

especially if you have luggage etc... finding the station, parking and are not familiar with the metro, buying tickets..etc (may sound silly but it can be a hassle)
Plus EVERYTIME we went in we missed the exit for west Falls church metro and always ended up in Ballston! Maybe it's just me but I sware it's not well marked!!
There is no exit for West Falls Church. If you mean East Falls Church you need to get off at Sycamore.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That4car View Post
My MIL visited over Thanksgiving and I picked her up at Union Station. I don't remember the exact way I went, just followed my gps and it was a piece of cake. I found that parking in the garage at Union Station was the easiest, just remember to get your parking ticket validated on your way out of the station. With a validated ticket, the parking is a lot cheaper. We had lunch at one of the restaurants in the station, it was called America and was very good. We were able to sit at a table over looking the "mall" area of the station which was nice. I had never been to Union Station and enjoyed walking around looking at the shops while I waited for her train to come in.

We are waiting to close on our house in Round Hill, thought it would be this afternoon, but it looks like there may be a delay. If all goes well, we will be moving in over the next few days.
What a coincidence, your MIL also coming into Union Station and you're moving to Round Hill AND I just made reservations for America last night to eat Thanks for the tips and best of luck on your move...we had about 30 mins notice of our closing, that's how down to the wire it was for us too!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post

Exactly, I'm gonna have my whole family with me, including 7 yr old twins and while I'm sure it's not too hard, I'm more comfortable in control of my own destiny (in my car ). Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia