Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM

554 posts, read 978,159 times

Advertisements

We can sub title this, DMV 3, me 0. Today I decided to tackle getting a Va license and car tags. No such luck. Round 1: I took my Ga. license, my passport, a w2 form (for SS verification) and a lease to the Woodbrige DMV. I picked my number, waited 45 minutes then finally I got to go to a window!! So far so good; until the woman started reading the details of my lease and rejected it because we didn't have a specific end date on it. I was told that it would have been ok if it had an end date. So I go back home, redo the lease, fill it out with the end date and go back to Woodbridge. This time the wait is 1hr 15 min. Finally my number is called and I am positive that I will walk out with a Va license. No such luck! They did accept the new copy of the lease and all my other paper work, they took my picture and I even somehow passed the eye test. Then it happened. Apparently the state of NC has a flag on me over a ticket from 1992. When I got the ticket, I payed it on time but NC sent me a letter telling me that they had forgot to put some kind of additional fee on the amount and told me to send in more money. I ignored it. I haven't heard anything else about it in 18yrs until today. So, after sitting on hold for 30 min with the NC DMV, I find out I have to send them $50 and in about 10 days, they will remove the flag in the National Drivers database thingy. The downside of this is that when I go back in a few weeks, it will probably have to be on a saturday. I suspect it will be a cluster. While I am dejected at this point, I still have a need to accomplish something so I decide to start working on getting tags. Went to a inspection station, paid $46 and now have a nice shiny new reject sticker on my windshield. The reason for failure? My left fog light is out. The headlights are good but apparently you fail if your car has fog / running lights whch (really are just for show.) Of course they don't have any in stock so I need to wait til they order one! On a positive note, I did try the local coffee shop near my house and it was good. My agenda for tomorrow is to get the foglight fixed and try a dmv select office in Lorton and see if I can get a tag.

Last edited by sportsterjohn; 01-21-2010 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:32 PM

239 posts, read 711,719 times
That stinks! I had to come home during my DMV visit here as well, but my lady let me go right back to her upon my return.
Maybe try to make an appointment for two or three weeks from now so that you wont have to wait forever.
Glad you found a good coffee place!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,105 times
Quote:
The headlights are good but apparently you fail if your car has fog / running lights whch (really are just for show.) Of course they don't have any in stock so I need to wait til they order one!
we had this with our Jeep. The guy at the station just removed the fog light and we passed. (yes with only 1 fog light!) He said if the light was in it had to be working, if it was removed it didn't matter. That was over 2 years ago and we now live in TX...and yes it passed inspection here.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
...So far so good; until the woman started reading the details of my lease and rejected it because we didn't have a specific end date on it. (keep in mind, it's not exactly a real lease anyhow). I was told that it would have been ok if it had an end date. So I go back home, download another blank lease, fill it out with the end date and go back to Woodbridge...

Hey, I wouldn't be broadcasting on a public website that you submitted a phony document to DMV.
That, my friend, is illegal...and you never know who's reading this stuff!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,924 times
In my DMV experience it depends on who you get at the window. I did not have my social security card with me and got a license. My husband didn't have his either but didn't get a license. We each had our own number so we got different people. They have lots of rules, but they aren't consistent about following them. Glad you found a good coffee shop. They are hard to come by here. I moved from coffee country (Seattle) and am rather picky. The Starbucks shops can't even make the coffee right here and I know they get trained from the same manual that Seattle baristas do!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey, I wouldn't be broadcasting on a public website that you submitted a phony document to DMV.
I don't know why ya'll are mad at him. Unlike half the population here in Northern VA (without visible DOD tags) he is trying to get his VA tags so he can have his car unfairly taxed the right way.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

372 posts, read 1,117,178 times
This Day 1,2,3 stuff is better suited for a blog. Moderator cut: Rude, not necessary

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-21-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,924 times
Don't be a hater and keep your bodily functions to yourself. I'm actually enjoying his first few days of posting. Seems as if we've all been there.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
It's not fraudulent at all. IIRC, from his post, SportsterJohn is renting a room from a friend in Lorton, which would make the lease between the two parties. Specifying an end date does not mean that it is precluded from being renewed by said friend, should they both agree to extend the tenancy; rather, the contract that the DMV wanted was not in the proper format, and he and his friend are free to renew, amend, or discontinue the tenancy for any reason. There's no difference with any lease in that regard, though you may have to pay a penalty if you want to cancel a lease that's not with a friend. If I have a lease with my friend and the DMV rejects it, we are free to rewrite and sign it in the format requested -- nothing illegal or fraudulent about that; so, there's nothing wrong with SportsterJohn and his friend doing the same thing.

@SportsterJohn: Next time you have to go to the DMV, go to the official website just before you go: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. It will give you average wait times for a variety of locations, such that's it's worthwhile to drive out of your way to save a good amount of time. I think Woodbridge is like Tysons, and is a very busy office, but there are other offices nearer Lorton that might not be bad, say Springfield or Franconia -- check the South Fairfax service area for other nearby offices. Unfortunately, you cannot use the select location, nor the local offices, but you should be able to get around a huge wait by driving a few minutes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's not fraudulent at all. IIRC, from his post, SportsterJohn is renting a room from a friend in Lorton, which would make the lease between the two parties. Specifying an end date does not mean that it is precluded from being renewed by said friend, should they both agree to extend the tenancy; rather, the contract that the DMV wanted was not in the proper format, and he and his friend are free to renew, amend, or discontinue the tenancy for any reason. There's no difference with any lease in that regard, though you may have to pay a penalty if you want to cancel a lease that's not with a friend. If I have a lease with my friend and the DMV rejects it, we are free to rewrite and sign it in the format requested -- nothing illegal or fraudulent about that; so, there's nothing wrong with SportsterJohn and his friend doing the same thing.

He edited his original post, in which he stated that he downloaded a blank lease....he even said "it's not exactly a real lease anyhow". When they rejected it, he went home and "fixed" it. (see my other post for the quote of his original statement)

Nowhere did he indicate any involvement on the part of the lessor.

That is falsifying a document any way you slice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia