Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,110 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data.com users,

I am a 25 year old moving from the Midwest to the Alexandria area, looking to spend 1,500.00 or less per month for a 1-BR apartment. A free referral service I'm using directed me to these properties:

-The Strand Alexandria
-Huntington Gateway
-The Aventine of Alexandria
-Windsor at Arbors
-Key Towers AIMCO
-The Park at Arlington Ridge
-The Alexander
-Rose Hill of Alexandria

I need to know the good, the bad and the ugly. If you or anyone you know has lived in any of these properties, can you tell me what your (or their) experience was like? Would you recommend any of these properties? Are the properties considered safe at night? Did you or a friend experience problems with bugs, molds, break-ins, etc? Are there better properties to consider in this area? Any information a local can provide will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Huntington Gateway is located just outside the City of Alexandria proper in the "unincorporated" Fairfax County portion. It is the most upscale of three high-rise apartment buildings in the immediate area (although some nearby condos of varying ages may have rentals too.)

Its biggest advantage may be its proximity to both the Metrorail and the Beltway. Its biggest drawback may be that despite some recent major housing development, the socioeconomic mix doesn't always appeal to newer residents.

I can't comment on the inner workings of HG as I never lived there. For a number of years, I passed through the area while commuting to and from work.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 AM

167 posts, read 495,974 times
I've never lived in any of the ones you listed and I don't know anyone that lives in any of them either but my cousin used to live in an apartment in Kingstowne and Manchester Lakes area. From my experience, it was safe at night. No problem with bugs, mold, or break-ins during his 4 years in that area. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM

214 posts, read 499,464 times
Out of your list, I visited Huntington Gateway, Windsor at Arbors, and the Alexander during my apt search earlier this year (for a 2 bdrm). They were all on my short list, and I think they would be worth checking out.

Huntington Gateway-- I thought it was decent for the price, but the layout didn't work (kitchen not big enough). They do have a heated indoor/outdoor pool. I know some people express concerns about the area.

Windsor at Arbors-- I thought it was a nice complex. They only had a couple of units available, because a lot of the residents had renewed their leases. It's right off Duke St, so I thought the area was pretty convenient. At least for the 2 bdrm, it wasn't the biggest space for the money.

Alexander-- This complex was definitely the nicest I saw, but just slightly out of my price range. They are very dog friendly (so that may be a good or bad thing for you). Amenities are really nice. I remember some of their recent ratings were not good, so that might be something to keep in mind.

That's all i can think of at the moment, and obviously I can't tell you what it's like living at any of them. I used the website crimereports.com to check out any problems in the neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,110 times
Each of your insights are extremely helpful to me, thank you! I'm in the process of visiting the area from MI, I'll be keeping your advice in mind. Keep it coming!!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Elle View Post
Hello City-Data.com users,

I am a 25 year old moving from the Midwest to the Alexandria area, looking to spend 1,500.00 or less per month for a 1-BR apartment. A free referral service I'm using directed me to these properties:

-The Strand Alexandria
-Huntington Gateway
-The Aventine of Alexandria
-Windsor at Arbors
-Key Towers AIMCO
-The Park at Arlington Ridge
-The Alexander
-Rose Hill of Alexandria

I need to know the good, the bad and the ugly. If you or anyone you know has lived in any of these properties, can you tell me what your (or their) experience was like? Would you recommend any of these properties? Are the properties considered safe at night? Did you or a friend experience problems with bugs, molds, break-ins, etc? Are there better properties to consider in this area? Any information a local can provide will be appreciated.
I used to live near Key Towers in the Landmark area (until the beginning of May) so I can comment on the neighborhood.

PROS:

- Close to the Van Dorn Metro and has plenty of buses to take you there or the Pentagon on express.
- Close to I-395.
- Has amentities like groceries just down the hill on Stevenson Ave.
- Very economically diverse.
- More bang for the buck than most of Alexandria.

CONS:

- Has a considerable amount of crime. More car break-ins and teenage fights. But shootings/murders have happened in the area. Not DC but not Mayberry.
- Landmark Mall is an embarassment. Go to Tysons Corner or Potomac Mills for any decent mall shopping.
- Traffic is murder on Duke St. The interchange on I-395 that serves Landmark is a chokepoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia