Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 9,875 times

Advertisements

I guess I need to clarify a little bit. We know that Herndon and Fairfax are 22-25 mi away from Bethesda and that without traffic that equates to a 40-45 min commute at 5AM, and with traffic that could be 1.5 hours on the road or more. Is that at all accurate, or am I way off?

I have been trying to find real estate closer to Bethesda, but we're not seeing anything for sale in our price range that is not in need of serious renovating, and since this will be our first home purchase and we don't have the time or money for such renovating, we don't want to take that risk. Does anybody have any recommendations on neighborhoods in Fairfax Co. that are safe, family-oriented, near good schools, have nearby parks, etc. ?

Thanks! We're new to this, and appreciate the recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,902,101 times
Rent.
This is his residency you are not permamently moving here. This is not your "forever home" etc...

Even "newer" home will require maintence yard work etc... If you move out to Reston/Hendon/Sterling area after 4-5 months he will HATE it! You will hate the fact that he is NEVER home and when he is he's tired and exhausted. On avg you are looking at a daily 3 hour commute round trip.

I also suggest a TH and not a SFH.
Less upkeep, many have pools,parks etc right in the community and most will have small yards.

Take the advice given here by people who live and drive these routes daily. MOVE as CLOSE to the job as POSSIBLE!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,932,450 times
I second 5stones.
Rent.
And seriously consider a townhouse.
You have young children, and your husband will be working 80+ hour weeks. Both your time and income will be scarce for the next few years. If you've never lived in the DC area before, you might be surprised at the nice places that are available for rent when the owners are posted overseas.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 PM

Thank you!!! It's difficult to put it all into perspective right now since it has been several months since we've had to deal with the 80 hour work weeks and over a year since we've had to deal with a commute of an hour each way. Both were relentless and seemed to drag on, and luckily both were temporary (a couple of months here and there) and didn't last for four years like residency will. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Renting in Bethesda or nearby might be our only option for now by the sounds of things. We love the DC area and look forward to the move up there.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,922 times
I second 5stones and Clairemarie, renting at this time would probably be the best option, I have seen alot of people give advice to rent at least the first year while you get acclimated to the area and of course the traffic. Check out militarybyowner.com for rentals, if you are willing to live in a TH there are tons of available rentals at most price ranges. The TH's are for the most part alot more affordable, maintance is minimal and alot of times for the same price as a SFH you get more sq footage or a newer TH.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely check out that website and keep my eyes open for something. Arlington and Alexandria are kind of the mid-point for the three locations for the residency, so renting makes the most sense in those particular areas given our restricted income for the time being. I hear Fairlington is a good area.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,902,101 times
yes definately don't discount a TH. (we did when we moved there) BUT in the DC area TH are ALOT of families first houses, so you will likly have quite a few kids etc...
(we thought TH would be filled with mostly you singles or couples without kids...we were wrong)

Glad you are keeping all your options open!

Military by owner is an EXCELLENT website...loads of nice rentals.

Good luck to you

Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestudent View Post
Thanks for the info - I'll definitely check out that website and keep my eyes open for something. Arlington and Alexandria are kind of the mid-point for the three locations for the residency, so renting makes the most sense in those particular areas given our restricted income for the time being. I hear Fairlington is a good area.
just remember that Arlington and Alexandria can be very expensive, even for TH's, it is the price you pay to live inside the beltway and all the different commuting options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia