Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Then she should know better!
Yes, I do know better. Twenty five years of school board appointed committees, superintendent advisories, officer in three PTA's, and member of the board of county council of PTA's will do that for you.

Children and their education has been a passion of mine for decades. I've learned a lot and am happy to share my knowledge, with those open enough to listen, and care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:27 AM

509 posts, read 974,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Not a chance. NO county has EVER cut the tax rate by 33%. We'll be lucky if it goes back to 1.35, and even then ONLY if they can jack up everyone's assessment.
Indeed, it's all a numbers game. When house values go down, they raise the rates to try and at least stem the losses in tax revenue. Don't be surprised if when values start to rise, they lower rates but not enough to stop taxes from going up in a huge way.

That's exactly what happened in the boom years of 2003 - 2006. I lived in City of Manassas then, where there wasn't such a big need for new schools and stuff. My assessment zoomed up 30% in some of those years. They did NOT decrease the tax rate by 30%, they decreased it by 10%. My property tax went up 20% each of those years, so it was a shocking increase.

I'm still waiting to see what happens this year in both PWC and City of Manassas, as I still own my property in the city and am renting it out. In my City neigbhorhood - prices really bottomed out early last year, and believe it or not are up quite a large percentage. I wouldn't be surprised if my City of Manassas assessment rises on my townhouse, and then the city raises or keeps the same the tax rate. Won't matter too much, I'm getting ready to put my townhouse up for sale once the tenant moves out very soon (supposed to be out on 1/31, but doubtful - property management company rented to a BAD tenant who is 2 months' behind on rent now, and doesn't appear to want to move out - we'll be starting eviction proceedings obviously).

Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 AM

As another data point in assessments, my brother lives in Loudoun County in Chantilly - just inside the county off of Pleasant Valley Rd. off Rt. 50.

His assessments for 2008 - 2010 are:

2008 - $758,200
2009 - $635,100
2010 - $582,300

So, his assessment went down 8.31%. Looks to me if the rate goes to $1.415 he's seeing maybe a 5.3% increase in taxes. That's if I understand it correctly that the current rate is $1.245 and the proposed rate is $1.415. That's a sizeable increase, to the tune of $400 roughly.

PWC does the same thing, they advertise a proposed tax rate and then there's a revision, etc. So far their assessments have not come out nor have they issued a proposed tax rate. Loudoun County seems to do it much earlier in the year - PWC seems to start the process sometime in early February and finish up in middle of March. Same with City of Manassas. I was surprised how fast Loudoun came out with assessments, I think it's 2 or 3 weeks until we get ours here in PWC or in Manassas.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
At the proposed $1.41 rate, my taxes will go up over 19% (my property assessment increased a mere $20,000). I wrote the BOS yesterday.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
At the proposed $1.41 rate, my taxes will go up over 19% (my property assessment increased a mere $20,000). I wrote the BOS yesterday.
Those who's assessments went up instead of down are obviously going to be hit really hard.

I think my assessment may go up this year in both PWC and in Manassas.

For PWC: I bought a new house in November 2008. The assessment in January 1, 2009 in PWC was pretty low as expected - it is based on what it would sell for used. However, now I've seen used houses of this exact model selling for much more than the assessment.

In my City of Manassas property, it was assessed on Jan. 1., 2009 at a realy low price, but there were lots of foreclosures, and many townhouses selling below that assessment by another $10K to $15K that were comparable to my townhouse. Now, all the foreclosures are pretty well gone, and comparable townhouses are selling for $30K to $40K above last year's assessment. It's a no-brainer that my assessment will go up. Will the City of Manassas decrease the real estate tax rate? I doubt it, there are many other neighborhoods that may not have been as hard hit as mine and now are rebounding as fast as mine.

I'm waiting to see what both of my assessments are - but think I have maybe 3 more weeks to find out!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
We used to call it the Annual Fred Flintstone Parade at Tucson Unified School District. They get the meanest, butchiest, ugliest, militant union teachers to picket the school district offices demanding that they get step increases, and cost of living increases every year, even while others are having a difficult time obtaining a simple paycheck.
Hahaha, here they also recruit the PTAs and the parents to demand raises for the teachers and administrators. ALL administrators. FCPS has twice as many administrators as teachers.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Rep points for you! Most people I have spoken to are in the same boat, we will ALL be paying more this year. Apparently our board of supervisors think we're a bottomless pit of money and no one has made them aware of the recession that has hurt many people in our county. Or perhaps they just don't care?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
How about T-shirts that say "I LIVE IN LOUDON COUNTY AND I AM NOT AN ATM MACHINE."

Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM

LOVE IT!!!! Those would be BIG sellers among everyone I know. It would be great to address the board of supervisors wearing a shirt like that! Or, better, an entire audience of Loudoun county property owners wearing those shirts!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:18 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
How about T-shirts that say "I LIVE IN LOUDON COUNTY AND I AM NOT AN ATM MACHINE."
I would buy one! And wear it to every election and every event I attend in Loudoun County. Awesome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia