Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times

Advertisements

Snowing lightly. Radar seems to show storm is passing, but forecasters saying several more inches on the way from a disturbance moving our way from the Ohio Valley. Tough shoveling because of high moisture content which results in weight and sticking to shovel. Otherwise, it's so beautiful outside. I am excited like a little kid with this once-every-few-decades event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
Yes, it is beautiful! But our poor, huge dog couldn't even go pee outside, the snow is too deep. I let her out in the back and she jumped on the deck and was covered to her back (snow drifts). I guess we'll be doing lots and lots of shoveling today!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I think I have about that much in Woodbridge. I was expecting much more when I woke up based on the news reports last night, but so far it is about as much as last time.

I agree about the dog, mine could barely move. She ran out and hugged the outside of the house, ran under the deck and went pee there.

Oooohhh, just as I'm typing this a small plow came through. That is MUCH better than last storm where we didn't get ONE until Sunday. Although I have to say, it hardly did any good.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think I have about that much in Woodbridge. I was expecting much more when I woke up based on the news reports last night, but so far it is about as much as last time.

I agree about the dog, mine could barely move. She ran out and hugged the outside of the house, ran under the deck and went pee there.

Oooohhh, just as I'm typing this a small plow came through. That is MUCH better than last storm where we didn't get ONE until Sunday. Although I have to say, it hardly did any good.
A plow came by THREE time already!! In fact it woke me up in the morning. I'm so happy to see the road plowed.. Who ever did it, great job! We definitely got lots more snow this time than in December.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 AM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times
I have a couple of friends w/out power...ugh! I took my beagles out last night and they were in puppy heaven jumping through the snow. Not so sure that will be the case today. And yes, this snow is heavy! We cleared a path on the back porch last night and are glad that we did. My 4yo is ready to go sledding so I'm gonna start the ibuprofen early. This body is gonna be hurting.

Last edited by movingtodcfromseattle; 02-06-2010 at 06:13 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
I have a couple of friends w/out power...ugh!
I noticed all our clocks in the kitchen were blinking so we must've had a power outage in the middle of the night. Let's hope everyone who is without power right now gets theirs back soon!!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
A plow came by THREE time already!! In fact it woke me up in the morning. I'm so happy to see the road plowed.. Who ever did it, great job! We definitely got lots more snow this time than in December.

Three times already??? I'm jealous. My HOA does not pay for a private plow service so we definitely depend on the county. I guess I should be happy for the one plow that came through.

On the last storm I measured 22 inches on my patio table. It *might* be that high right now but not quite. Of course, it's still snowing.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I awoke to find we have no juice, but no biggie...the generator auto-started, so we didn't miss a beat. My 'hood is heavily wooded, so all it takes is one big limb to come down on the wires. The generator is fueled by natural gas, so no lugging cans of diesel fuel and such, and it will basically run for days or weeks on end. I wouldn't even have the generator except that during my mom's last illness she needed medical equipment that...well, we just couldn't depend on Dominion Power.

I hated spending that $25K on the generator, but I'm glad it's out there hummin' now! So is the old lady next door...a couple years ago, I ran a 30 amp circuit over to her house...enough to power her furnace, fridge, and a few lights.

Oh well, my tractor is warming up and I'm ready to go Round One with the Blizzard of '10...

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
The main street here has been plowed. I'm not sure how deep the snow is, but we've had lots of drifting from the wind. The wind seems to be really piling it up in our yard and against our house. I walked out to shake some snow from the holly bushes and it came up to halfway between knees and hips. Thank god for ski pants.

Not a single animal track today. That's a first! Even the animals know better than to venture out into this.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Plow? In Dec. we didn't get one until Tues. or Wed. (it all blends together now). Eh, I'm not going anywhere anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia