Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,102,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullah View Post
thanks for your input .My plan is not to moved perminently. I just want to work about 6 to 8months save some money and then moved back to texas.. would i be able to save money? we don't spend a lot .. i have only 1 car payment with no credit cards bills.. thanks
sullah, to me the biggest hurdle is keeping up the costs of two households, 1 in Texas, 1 in VA. You haven't mentioned additional incomes (i.e., your spouse works FT). However, $100-$130,000K would be plenty for you IF you only had 1 household to worry about. So, is it possible to rent out your house in Texas? If so, then you'd get rental income from that house, pay to live here in VA, and maybe (just maybe, who knows?) you might be able to save some $. I remember that that was one of your goals about accepting the position here . . .

BTW, you'll find the culture very different in NoVA versus Houston. I have a colleague who visits several times a year and loves going out sightseeing and eating and all but prefers Houston. Oh, but the summers will be familiar -- hot and humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,688,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
...My suggestion is to continue looking for a job in your beautiful State, and don't make this your worst decision, because you saw $$$,$$$ .
Well said!

It ain't worth a few bucks to be somewhere you don't want to be!

I maybe could have retired a grade higher than I did if I had traipsed everywhere Uncle wanted me to....but I put a higher value on my family's happiness and don't regret it for a second.

Read the "we are finally back" thread, and others by ajmom...she just spent 6 gawdawful months here...and for what?...a couple of dollars? Don't make the same mistake!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM

191 posts, read 536,431 times
fortunately, I got lucky when i got laidoff my mortagage was modified to be less than 700 dollors for six month.Now i work for NASA which will soon have biggest layoff ever! so I decided to move temporily and then move back to houston when i got better job.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well said!

It ain't worth a few bucks to be somewhere you don't want to be!

I maybe could have retired a grade higher than I did if I had traipsed everywhere Uncle wanted me to....but I put a higher value on my family's happiness and don't regret it for a second.

Read the "we are finally back" thread, and others by ajmom...she just spent 6 gawdawful months here...and for what?...a couple of dollars? Don't make the same mistake!
I totally agree. Texas is a good place to be right now, I'd stay there.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Also, please don't make the mistake I did and move here SOLELY for a job. What good is a good job if you absolutely hate the region in which you reside? I've grown very depressed living here because everything is a McMansion, cul-de-sac, parking lot, taupe, mauve, fast-food place, big-box store, Starbuck's, etc. My soul has been drained living here, but I came here out of fear, graduating college at the peak of the recession early last year.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 632 times
Can someone help me in comparing Herndon to Philadelphia, PA in terms of rent for a 2 BR and better schools and crime rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia