Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,607 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job on Capitol Hill and will be living in Vienna near Madison High School. Can anyone give me any ideas for the best commuting options to get to Capitol Hill. I would prefer to drive because I have to work late occasionally. I need to be at work by around 8:45 am and will be leaving the office at 6:30 or later in the evening. How long will it take me to get to work each day? Any thoughts on the commute would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
If you're really close to Madison, I'd reconsider the decision to drive because you'll be quite close to the Vienna metro station. If you leave early enough in the morning, you'll have no problem finding a parking spot, and the trains do run in the evening.

If you do decide to drive to DC, you'll want to avoid the Tysons area at the intersection of Routes 123 and 7, particularly with the Silver Line construction that is now taking place. If you have another passenger or are driving a hybrid car on an approved list, you can drive on Route 66 (which is otherwise has HOV-2 restrictions) during both the morning and evening rush hours.

If you can't drive on Route 66 due to the lane restrictions, I'd probably just take Nutley Street in Vienna to either Lee Highway or Arlington Boulevard, and take one of those roads east to the Roosevelt Bridge. I'd then take the Independence Avenue exit right after you enter DC. Independence Avenue doesn't have as much traffic as Constitution Avenue and it goes through Capitol Hill (south side). There are other routes that one can take, some of which involve short-cuts through residential areas, but I'm not convinced they really save any time.

As to the duration of the commute, the earlier you leave Vienna and the later you leave DC, the shorter a trip you'll have. If you leave shortly before 7:30 AM or shortly after 6:30 PM, you're probably looking at about 45-50 minutes each way by car, although it can take longer. You wouldn't necessarily save much time door-to-door by taking the Metro, but you can read (or doze off) on the train.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,378,652 times
Honestly -- you should take the metro -- it will be less stressful and you can read and relax on the metro. It's a long auto commute to Capitol Hill from Vienna -- and throw in rain or snow or accidents -- and it is a nightmare. Because Vienna is the end of the line -- you are guaranteed a seat in the morning and you don't even have to change lines -- the Orange Line goes to Capitol South.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
I'd say it would be close to insane not to use Metro. It's practically in your front yard, and right next to work. May want to go in a little earlier to be sure of getting a parking spot at the Vienna station. Also, all government and many private sector employers participate in Metro's SmartBenefits program which could pick up a substantial piece of your commuting costs for you. Ask about it. As for travel time, the time on the train itself will be 37 minutes. Add to that whatever you think you need on either end.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 AM

100 posts, read 218,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich59 View Post
I am starting a new job on Capitol Hill and will be living in Vienna near Madison High School. Can anyone give me any ideas for the best commuting options to get to Capitol Hill. I would prefer to drive because I have to work late occasionally. I need to be at work by around 8:45 am and will be leaving the office at 6:30 or later in the evening. How long will it take me to get to work each day? Any thoughts on the commute would be appreciated.
The drive is hell after 7 am. I also work late and coming home is bad unless I leave after 8 pm.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,599 times
I echo everyone else's advice about taking Metro. My spouse works on the Hill and the traffic leaving DC is oftentimes horrific. The Metro is your friend and your location is perfect!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,468 times
My husband works on the Hill and he drives from Fairfax (near Burke). If you can use Metro, you might want to consider it if you don't have an assigned parking space. It is less stressful and you can get a transportation subsidy. If you choose to drive, Jebb77 is correct about what a mess 66 is and the best route to get there as a solo driver and how long it will take--50 mins is best case scenario.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
As per everyone above. Take Metro. When you get used to the metro commute, for a goof, try driving one day. If nothing else, it will reaffirm your wisdom in choosing to commute via subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia