Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM

66 posts, read 199,789 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people who commute from Loudoun County into DC. If you drive by the parking lots where the commuter buses pick up, you see the parking lots are either full or close to full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 01:07 PM

577 posts, read 2,063,156 times
I know many people, including my husband, who commute to DC from Loudoun County. I also know two people who commute from Prince William County. But both theories are true: When we purchased our home the job was in Reston - now it's in DC. But many people buy in Loudoun because they can't afford to live closer to DC. We used to rent a place in Falls Church and would have enjoyed staying in that area but we couldn't afford to buy there. At least, we couldn't afford anything that didn't require a lot of renovation and repairs.

Regardless, many people retire to Loudoun County. For example, Leisure World is in Lansdowne (technically Leesburg) and there are other "retirement" communities around the county.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 33,507 times
I hate to say this, because we live in Lowes Island / Cascades, VA, but if you want to be inbetween both of your kids, the best place would be Maryland. There are great planned communities there. My husband commutes into DC everyday, so we know all about that. And than both of our families live in NJ, so we are going up there ALL the time. Although its very easy for us to get up there, it would be alot easier and closer if we were in Maryland (maybe check out the Columbia area) and than we have easy access to NYC and DC.
But if you are set on the VA area, you will be very happy anywhere between Reston and Leesburg. The further you get from DC the more you will get for your money.
We are looking to move from our townhouse to a single family house and we've have found the same thing about the foreclosures / short sales. There are ALOT in this area!!!
Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM

989 posts, read 2,858,584 times
The OP should also check out Belmont Country Club and River Creek in Loudoun. These are both gated communities with golf courses. Because they're gated, that may afford some piece of mind if they are traveling or visiting their relatives.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekels View Post
I hate to say this, because we live in Lowes Island / Cascades, VA, but if you want to be inbetween both of your kids, the best place would be Maryland.
You know, you might be right about this. Frederick, MD might be a nice choice.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM

80 posts, read 238,372 times
How much are you looking to spend on a house....ballpark. That will probably help folks give you better advice.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,861,428 times
Not to take away from Virginia and all it has to offer, but have you thought about Delaware? There are alot of retirees there, close to DC, Maryland, NYC but it is cheaper to live. On the Delaware forum, seems alot of NJ folks move there.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 33,507 times
I have to agree with loveautumn, I think Delaware would also be a great place for you! Again, we LOVE VA and where we live in Cascades, but there are alot of great areas between DC and NYC! And just as an FYI...the weather isn't any warmer in northern VA than in MD / DE. We've had more snow in Loudoun County, VA in the last 3 years than NJ has had. It will def be a little bit of a change from NC.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekels View Post
I have to agree with loveautumn, I think Delaware would also be a great place for you! Again, we LOVE VA and where we live in Cascades, but there are alot of great areas between DC and NYC! And just as an FYI...the weather isn't any warmer in northern VA than in MD / DE. We've had more snow in Loudoun County, VA in the last 3 years than NJ has had. It will def be a little bit of a change from NC.
Yes, Northern VA, Southern MD, and DE are all about the same weatherwise. The Delaware beach towns are sometimes a little bit milder due to the coastal influence. (Not this year, though. This year Delaware got slammed.)

If you live in Delaware, you can just zip up 95 to NY. But, you'll be more than an hour's drive from the kids in DC.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyinch View Post
$1.41/$100? That is New Jersey-esque!!! Not really what I am looking for when one considers living on a fixed income. Are the rates at that level now or is this the expectation?
Last year the rates were $1.24. The democrats on the board of supervisors wanted to raise them to $1.50 and then lowered it to $1.44. It looks like they have settled on $1.41 since all the democrats voted for that rate while the only two republicans voted against it.

Yes, it's absurd, the highest in the state and the highest in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia