Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,754 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Burke in March and I have 7 kids. We are in need of recommendations for many things but right now I am looking into swim teams and preschools in particular. My 4 year old has never been to preschool so I would like to send him next year. I am looking at Saint Mary's or Living Savior. We are Catholic so I am leaning toward Saint Mary's but Living Savior looks great. Any opinions?
Also, my 12 year old son is a competitive swimmer and we need a great team for him. He is very talented but wants a team that is fun too. He isn't too serious about it but is a natural. Cost isn't too much of an issue, we just want a team with a great reputation-not the underdog.
  • I need a good gym (anyone know much about Gold's in Fairfax Station?)
  • A piano teacher for my 10 year old
  • A good summer pool/club to join that is clean and somewhat exclusive but not a fortune
  • local rec. football team for my little boys (older son will be playing for Robinson High)
I would love your opinions/ideas on the move and activities. We are looking forward to getting to the area. Thanks!
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,114,341 times
Welcome! I can offer input on some of your questions since we live in the area.

As far as preschools, we looked at several close-by and toured St. Mary's, Living Savior and Burke Presbyterian. Our child has been at Burke Presbyterian for 2 years and it has been a wonderful experience. The director and most teachers have been there for over a decade. They have a holistic approach to child development (spiritual, academics, physical, emotional/social). They have many after school activities/classes for those who are interested, including Lunch Bunch. All around great. St. Mary's was our second choice (we are also Catholics). It has a very good program and a wonderful director. The parents who have their kids there love it. The only reason I didn't choose it was because the 4-year old program my child would have needed to attend met in the afternoons and I prefer a morning program.

My husband belongs to that Gold's Gym. He likes it a lot, but I don't know how it compares to others close-by. It is very new--I think it has only been around for about 1 year.

As far as pools, many moms in my moms group have joined the Burke Centre pools because they have a choice of 4 pools. You might want to look into it.

GL!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,446,179 times
Can't help on preschools but want to say that summer swim teams are big in Northern Virginia. There are lots of neighborhood swim teams. The two big leagues are the Colonial Swimming League, Colonial Swim League which is where the Burke pools mainly belong. The largest league is Northern Virginia Swimming League, NVSL, Northern Virginia Swimming League which has 103 teams, over 10,000 swimmers, broken into divisions of six teams each. Many of them are in that area of the county and most in that area have open membership. I would look for the pool nearest where you live, so the kids are on a team with their friends and neighbors. If they are serious swimmers, there are several very good USA Swimming year round teams in the area as well. As for gyms, South Run Rec Center is very near Burke, off of the FFX Co. Parkway or going the other direction, Wakefield Park Rec Center is at Braddock Rd and the Beltway. Both have workout areas as well as pools, racket ball, etc. Best of luck and welcome to the area!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,939,434 times
One of the best USA Swimming programs is right in your (new) backyard. Curl Burke Swim club trains at the Burke Racquet Club, among other locations in the DC area. http://www.cubu.org/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1
It's a huge club with programs for swimmers at all levels. Some of the 12 year-olds will be training at near-elite levels (5+ practices per week), but there are also less intense levels with fewer practice and meet commitments. Because of the number of practices and the traffic in the DC area, I would strongly suggest that you choose the program with the closest pool, because otherwise your life will be absolutely miserable. And I second the suggestion about choosing a summer pool in your neighborhood. Most pools in the Burke area do not have waiting lists, and they are not particularly expensive. If you have a choice of NVSL summer swim clubs, you will want to take into account the Division to which the pools are assigned (Division 1 being most competitive and Divisions 15 and beyond considerably less so). At some Division 1 pools, even very strong swimmers can be left out of the Saturday morning meets because the teams can take only the top 3 swimmers in each event.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM

696 posts, read 1,698,406 times
I can help on preschools. We just moved here last summer and enrolled our 4yo at St. Mary's. She is in the pre-k class and it has been absolutely wonderful! As a kindergarten teacher myself I LOVE the curriculum and the director and teachers are fantastic. Our daughter will definitely be ready for full-day kindergarten next year. In addition they have helped make our transition to NOVA a little easier with the warm and caring environment that they provide. Can't speak highly enough about them. I would forewarn you to check the schedules of the other pre-schools. Some are also very enticing, but when you look at the number of days off that they have for various Archdiocesan events and training you can miss upwards of 2-3 days per month.

While I don't have a need for a swim club yet, I know other moms at the preschool that speak very highly of Burke Center Swim Club. I think you would be happy there. I also know a dentist that is right there in Burke and close-by pediatrician. PM me if you need more contacts. It's a major feat moving a family! Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia