Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,801 times

Advertisements

Kegs and Eggs is different--it is a DC101 event.
Shamrock fest has a couple of radio stations but I think is a hiball event.

I haven't been to SF since it was moved from Arlington, though some of my friends still go every year. All of those events are generally catered more toward the early 20s party crowd, but it's not at all "out there" like many weekend long music festivals. I don't think the crowd would make anyone uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,389,879 times
Oops... I meant to revisit this thread a while back.

I agree with the above posts. You will definitely see a lot of drunk 20something guys, even outside the all-you-can-drink VIP "party zones" (which are totally not worth it BTW), but it's not exclusively their festival. You will also see couples with and without kids. During the day, there are a decent amount of families on the carnival rides and watching the Irish dancers. As nightfall approaches, and the big bands start coming out, some of the famlies leave and it's more crowded with twentysomethings. There's still a decent amount of non-twentysomethings though.

My advice would be, if you don't like crowds, don't get too close to the stages since the crowds can get a bit rowdy, but I guess that goes for any concert really. Also, try to get your bathroom breaks in early in the day because the lines at 6PM and later get pretty ridiculous.

Personally, I try to get there as early as possible to get my money's worth. I always catch at least one of the Irish dancing troupes and then it's on to the bands. Donegal X-Press, Scythian, and Carbon Leaf are some of my faves.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Kegs and Eggs is different--it is a DC101 event.
Shamrock fest has a couple of radio stations but I think is a hiball event.

I haven't been to SF since it was moved from Arlington, though some of my friends still go every year. All of those events are generally catered more toward the early 20s party crowd, but it's not at all "out there" like many weekend long music festivals. I don't think the crowd would make anyone uncomfortable.
I looked up Kegs and Eggs. Sounds like it skews towards the 20-something crowd. OK, back to Plan A. I'm doing Shamrock Fest and if I still want more St, Paddy's Day fun after that maybe I'll go to Brogue Tavern the next day (or the day before)

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,972,421 times
Hope they have some indoor events. Or tents. Looks like we're expecting rain that day. (Of course, maybe it's just be passing sprinkles. The weather report seems to wait until the day before to say if it'll be a lot of rain or just light showers.)

Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM

They do have tents for DJ's spinning dance and hip-hop music, as well as tents for watching college basketball.

On a completely selfish note, I'm actually kinda hoping for some rain. It rained last year and was one of the more fun Shamrockfests I've been to, because it wasn't as crowded as previous years.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,972,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
They do have tents for DJ's spinning dance and hip-hop music, as well as tents for watching college basketball.

On a completely selfish note, I'm actually kinda hoping for some rain. It rained last year and was one of the more fun Shamrockfests I've been to, because it wasn't as crowded as previous years.
Good point, I've been to events on rainy days and you're right--it's great because it's not crowded, and the people who show up really want to be there and add a fun energy.

You know what else is fun on a rainy day--the zoo! Yes, believe it or not. The animals are awake, running around, and playing. Much more fun than on a sweltering hot day when they're all asleep.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
I'm going rain or no rain. I'm so ready to go to outdoor events again. Who cares if we have a few stray showers?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 16,664 times
Good gig. Street Dogs, yah

Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,741,161 times
Why are parents bringing CHILDREN to this event? St. Paddy's Day is a DRINKING OCCASION. Leave the kids at home where they belong.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Huh? There's nothing wrong with bringing kids to the event. There's carnival rides and they can see their peers do Irish dancing. If I were a kid, I'd love Shamrockfest. Obviously it is a drinking occasion but it's not ONLY a drinking occasion.

This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about kids there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia