Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,711,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
The Beltway doesn't cut Carlyle off from Old Town; it cuts Huntington off from Carlyle (it runs parallel to Hunting Creek, a tributary of the Potomac). My grave error in moving to this area was allowing the Beltway to be between myself and Alexandria proper. On the subject of Carlyle, though - it actually seems kind of nice and quiet to me, relative to a lot of other areas in the vicinity (including Old Town). Don't get me wrong, though - Old Town is far and away the neatest neighborhood in NoVA. I just think Carlyle is very attractive for a non-Old Town (and new-ish, even!) neighborhood in Alexandria City.
I agree that Carlyle is nice and is a great non Old Town option. I just think Old Town is the best option
The cool part about the SE quadrant of old town is that is is actually quiet. The neighborhood streets east of Washington St and south of Duke st. are somewhat protected from all the traffic because the Potomac river is so close. Most tourists drive to the King st area, so living a few blocks away makes all the difference. The areas west of Washington st. are more congested due to the heavy traffic on Washington st and route 1.

But, yes Carlyle is better than Huntington if you want easy access into Old Town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I agree that Carlyle is nice and is a great non Old Town option. I just think Old Town is the best option
The cool part about the SE quadrant of old town is that is is actually quiet. The neighborhood streets east of Washington St and south of Duke st. are somewhat protected from all the traffic because the Potomac river is so close. Most tourists drive to the King st area, so living a few blocks away makes all the difference. The areas west of Washington st. are more congested due to the heavy traffic on Washington st and route 1.

But, yes Carlyle is better than Huntington if you want easy access into Old Town.
Don't get me wrong - I actually find SE Old Town to be the coolest part of the coolest neighborhood in all of NoVA. (I walk/bike over there pretty frequently on the wonderful new path from Huntington that runs along the side of the Beltway.) Monticello-Lee is absolutely adorable, too.. if it'd had Metro access and larger apartments, I'd have moved here a few years ago. (I suppose, though, that if it were extremely Metro accessible, it likely wouldn't be as cute. ) My need for a large apartment is entirely the fault of my parents, who bequeathed to me roomfuls of bulky furniture when they retired to Florida.

In any case, the OP should probably check out the various areas under consideration before making any commitments - moving into any community in DC sight-unseen is a recipe for disaster. (I should know - I did it twice. )

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Don't get me wrong - I actually find SE Old Town to be the coolest part of the coolest neighborhood in all of NoVA. (I walk/bike over there pretty frequently on the wonderful new path from Huntington that runs along the side of the Beltway.) Monticello-Lee is absolutely adorable, too.. if it'd had Metro access and larger apartments, I'd have moved here a few years ago. (I suppose, though, that if it were extremely Metro accessible, it likely wouldn't be as cute. ) My need for a large apartment is entirely the fault of my parents, who bequeathed to me roomfuls of bulky furniture when they retired to Florida.

In any case, the OP should probably check out the various areas under consideration before making any commitments - moving into any community in DC sight-unseen is a recipe for disaster. (I should know - I did it twice. )
I know what you mean about having too much stuff (i.e. furniture) We just moved into a 3 BR SFH in Huntington, and it's full of stuff Hopefully we can scale it down over the next few weeks & months.

In regards to the new path, - Are there any sidewalks that lead to the path from the Huntington side? I miss the GW parkway/ bike path now that I'm in Huntington.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,410 times
Thank you so much everyone for your help and suggestions!!! Once this snow here in Boston goes away I'll be down for a visit! :-D

At first I was thinking of living outside of Alexandria to save $$, but it just doesn't seem worth it with the hassle of traffic. How do people get around in Alexandria? If I lived in Old Town, and worked near the King St. Metro - would I walk the one mile? Take a bus? Or drive? I'm sure all 3 are viable options, but I'm curious what the "norm" is there?

When you guys go out at night, do you walk, bus it, drive it?

I don't know if any of u guys have been to Cambridge, MA, but Alexandria really reminds me of it!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,391,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkeire View Post
If I lived in Old Town, and worked near the King St. Metro - would I walk the one mile? Take a bus? Or drive? I'm sure all 3 are viable options, but I'm curious what the "norm" is there?
You'd walk or bus it from Old Town, depending on your tolerance for walking. Driving would not be worth the cost of parking. I don't know anyone in Alexandria that drives that short a distance. There are a few bus options that from Old Town to King Street Metro. Coming home at night, you could take the free trolley-bus down King Street, assuming you lived somewhat near King St.

If you lived in Carlyle, you'd definitely walk because it would be even less distance.

Quote:
I don't live in Old Town, but I've gone out there starting from a friend's house near there and the method of transportation depends on how late at night it is. If it's early and far, we take the trolley-bus. If it's late and far, we drive. If it's close (less than 3/4 mile away), we walk.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 AM

134 posts, read 332,370 times
Quote:
In regards to the new path, - Are there any sidewalks that lead to the path from the Huntington side? I miss the GW parkway/ bike path now that I'm in Huntington.
Have you looked at the new bike paths that are to be completed this summer as part of the bridge project? There are supposed to be a few connections, including a bike path over pass to Eisenhower from Telegraph and, IIRC, you should also be able to ride clear down to the GW path on the outside of the beltway.

I've lived in Jefferson Manor for a number of years now. I really love my neighbors, my place and having a yard and neighborhood park for my dog, but, yes, it does feel remote from Old Town, esp. since there hasn't been a great way to cross the beltway. I'm hoping the new construction will help that, and when the market changes we'll finally see more of the town center they were seeking approval for in '08.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post
Have you looked at the new bike paths that are to be completed this summer as part of the bridge project? There are supposed to be a few connections, including a bike path over pass to Eisenhower from Telegraph and, IIRC, you should also be able to ride clear down to the GW path on the outside of the beltway.

I've lived in Jefferson Manor for a number of years now. I really love my neighbors, my place and having a yard and neighborhood park for my dog, but, yes, it does feel remote from Old Town, esp. since there hasn't been a great way to cross the beltway. I'm hoping the new construction will help that, and when the market changes we'll finally see more of the town center they were seeking approval for in '08.
Thats great news. Is Jefferson Manor the same neighborhood as Fairhaven? I always called the entire area "Huntington", but I know that there are subdivisions W/I the huntington region. I'm right behind Montibello condos, in the south part of the (huntington ave-N. Kings HWY, RT 1) triangle.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkeire View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your help and suggestions!!! Once this snow here in Boston goes away I'll be down for a visit! :-D

At first I was thinking of living outside of Alexandria to save $$, but it just doesn't seem worth it with the hassle of traffic. How do people get around in Alexandria? If I lived in Old Town, and worked near the King St. Metro - would I walk the one mile? Take a bus? Or drive? I'm sure all 3 are viable options, but I'm curious what the "norm" is there?

I don't know if any of u guys have been to Cambridge, MA, but Alexandria really reminds me of it!
You can do a lot of walking if
1. You like walking
2. the weather is nice, or at least tolerable
3. you plan enough time to walk to your destination.

I usually would walk whenever I was < 3/4 mile from destination. But, the bus is a viable option if you are closer to Washington St. and need to get towards King st or Braddock metro. (For some reason the old town buses go to Braddock metro more often than King st) The others are correct that the free trolley is also a great option if you want to go up/down King St. It is probably 1 mile down King St. from the metro station all the way to the river.
As far as driving, I often found that when I drove W/I old town that it would take me more time to find parking than if I had just walked to where I was going.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
Quote:
..(T)he bus is a viable option if you are closer to Washington St. and need to get towards King st or Braddock metro. (For some reason the old town buses go to Braddock metro more often than King st)
As you probably know, there are a lot of people living east of Washington St. towards the waterfront. The Powers That Be probably decided that it would be quicker to get them to Braddock than to King St.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As you probably know, there are a lot of people living east of Washington St. towards the waterfront. The Powers That Be probably decided that it would be quicker to get them to Braddock than to King St.
Yeah, I know there is a method to the madness. I think they also wanted to stay on a northward route through old town so they could hit more stops along the way. Its not a problem for most people who are just trying to get on the metro. The problem is for people who want to go to Huntington or catch the blue line to Van dorn or Franconia-Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia