Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,874 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have recently moved to Herndon from NJ and loved the VA so far. But i have drive to NJ every weekend (fri noon) and the drive is terrible option considering the traffic on 495 and 95.
So i was wondering if i can somehow figure out a train that can take me to princeton. Are there any feasible options from herndon or near by towns even Dc..
Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I don't know of any trains around Herndon. You can take the Amtrak from DC to Princeton. Not sure if the stop would be in Princeton or if you have to get off in Trenton and take NJ Transit to Princeton. It's a pretty decent ride although I don't know how crowded it would be on a Friday afternoon.

Also, there are some discounts on train tickets-- student fares, AAA, that sort of stuff.

Another suggestion is to fly and take a commuter flight. We've done that several times although it was DC-Dulles to NYC. I'm not sure which airport is closer for you in NJ (Newark?) Alot of times the plane fare is cheaper than the train fare.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
I assume you have EzPass. I have to drive frequently between Arlington and Central Jersey (Exit 9 on the N.J. Turnpike) and can usually do it between 3.5 and 4 hours. The biggest issue is always getting out of the DC area.

I just don't see how the train would be much faster given your location. You have to get from Herndon to DC's Union Station and I'm not sure all Amtrak trains stop in Princeton.

Maybe you just need to adjust your departure time from VA. I always leave by 1pm Friday for NJ or else I just go up at 6am Saturday. I don't even try to leave here during Friday PM rush.

Good luck and glad to hear you are enjoying life in a state with gentler property taxes.....

Old 02-24-2010, 06:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
The train wouldn't be faster, since you'd have to factor in the time to get to the train station on both ends. But I prefer taking the train to driving. You can get a bus from Herndon to West Falls Church metro. There might even be a bus all the way to Union station. I don't know how you'd do the bus in Princeton but I imagine there is one.

Or, find a friend who lives near a metro station and who doesn't mind letting you park your car at his house. That way all you have to do is drive to your friend's house (and maybe get a ride from him to the metro station).

Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Having traveled between DC and NY on an occasional basis (via my old hometown Philly), I can say that a DC to Princeton train is doable. Starting at DC's Union Station would be the best bet as the trains coming though Alexandria are infrequent and often late. The Amtrak train station in NJ is called Princeton Junction so unless someone is meeting you there, you would have to take a short local NJ Transit train to Princeton proper or else catch a cab. And yes, it will be crowded on a Friday afternoon. If you can take a half-day - or leave after evening rush hour - you may not have to wait in one of several long and winding lines.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
You know what, you might be able to find a bus that goes there. You might find one that drops people off at Union Station, or maybe even one that drops people off in Fairfax County. I'd google around and see if you can find one.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2nyc View Post
Hello,
I have recently moved to Herndon from NJ and loved the VA so far. But i have drive to NJ every weekend (fri noon) and the drive is terrible option considering the traffic on 495 and 95.
So i was wondering if i can somehow figure out a train that can take me to princeton. Are there any feasible options from herndon or near by towns even Dc..
Thanks everyone.
Hi are you still VA to NJ. I like.to join you. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-08-2013 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Posting a private email on a public forum is not recommended.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukesh12 View Post
Hi are you still VA to NJ. I like.to join you. Moderator Cut
As the original poster left their one and only post almost three years ago, odds are that they are not available to respond.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 17,299 times
Default Herndon to NJ

From time to time I go from Herndon to northern NJ and I go through Harrisburg, PA - I start out taking Rt 15 in Leesburg and take 83 and 81 to Route 78. For me the trip is like 20 miles longer, but it's worth it because it avoids 95 and there's only on $0.75 toll. Princeton is a bit further south, but I'm assuming you can find something that cuts across - like the PA Turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia