Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM

38 posts, read 149,146 times

Advertisements

Anyone travel up the GW Parkway for work? We are looking for a home somewhere south of Huntington Metro, north of FT Belvoir. Ft Hunt i where we are thinking, but not sure specifically. How is the drive up the GW Parkway? I will be driving to the Pentagon, with a need to be there by 7am and leave around 5pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyHeloPilot View Post
Anyone travel up the GW Parkway for work? We are looking for a home somewhere south of Huntington Metro, north of FT Belvoir. Ft Hunt i where we are thinking, but not sure specifically. How is the drive up the GW Parkway? I will be driving to the Pentagon, with a need to be there by 7am and leave around 5pm.
Mornings will be fine, but 5pm through old town will be slow. Remember, the closer you live to the river the better

Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
A coworker does it but she works 6-2:30. She says it's a great commute. But 5pm is going to be rough going through the Old Town area. Having said that, not too many places are good at 5pm. It's all relative. You could do worse.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
A coworker does it but she works 6-2:30. She says it's a great commute. But 5pm is going to be rough going through the Old Town area. Having said that, not too many places are good at 5pm. It's all relative. You could do worse.
It's not that bad. When you get into North Old Town, just turn off and go one block East or West one block to St. Asaph or Columbus and take one of those South all the way to the other end of town before getting on the parkway again.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's not that bad. When you get into North Old Town, just turn off and go one block East or West one block to St. Asaph or Columbus and take one of those South all the way to the other end of town before getting on the parkway again.
That trick might save you a few minutes... The good news is that you will clear out of traffic after Gibbon St because that is where everyone else is turning to get to the beltway. The residents on St. Asaph might not appreciate extra cars cutting through their neighborhood just to save a few minutes.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
You will just be trading red lights for stop signs for changing the route and then making a left back onto Rt 1..not too much fun if traffic isn't moving.

I saw on another post that you are moving from FL..we did the same thing, and on our first tour here discovered Kingstowne, so on the second tour that is where we ending up. It has a decent commute via the metro, good parking at the station. And it is pretty laid back traffic wise for the family. The elementary schools are very good..the high school is ok (depending on who you talk to) but most likely you won't be here then..unless you already have kids that age, can't remember. But it is still a Fairfax county school so the curriculum is the same as all the other high schools. Kingstowne has some very large Townhouses (ours is 3200 sq feet) you don't get that in many SF houses. The SF's in this area are even bigger, but harder to find.

You will have better access to shopping, grocery's and entertainment in this area (or the Springfield/Burke area). You will also most likely be assigned to Fort Belvior for your medical, Kingstowne sits on top of Belvior. They have a great PX and Commisary.

I would love to live in an area like Ft Hunt, the running along the potomac is great, but there is no way we could get one of the houses along the River not on our BHA. And we are dual income. A friend at work (GS 15 and her 06 husband) rent there, and it is a really really old house. She now has some regrets, but they need a yard for their LARGE dog. She lives pretty deep into Ft hunt, and it is difficult just getting onto the parkway heading north in the morning. I think they only have a stop sign at the nearest road for her. And the beltway doesn't. Something to think about when you choose a place.

Just my two cents...btdt. Where in FL are you PCSing from?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM
k8p

141 posts, read 394,945 times
We live in Ft. Hunt about 3/4 mile in from the parkway. It takes my husband about 25 min (20 if he takes his motorcycle) to get to work in the morning (leaves around 6:30) and about 35 minutes on the way home (usually leaving between 5 and 6). He likes his commute.

Our BAH covers our rent and although our home is older, it is completely updated. I am very happy here.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
That trick might save you a few minutes... The good news is that you will clear out of traffic after Gibbon St because that is where everyone else is turning to get to the beltway. The residents on St. Asaph might not appreciate extra cars cutting through their neighborhood just to save a few minutes.
They're normally not home at that time as they're also coming back from work.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They're normally not home at that time as they're also coming back from work.
I just think that it's better for everyone if they stay the course through old town. If the GW Parkway thru traffic stays left then they will clear out at Gibbon St. and it's smooth sailing from there. I find it odd that once you hit old town, Rt 1 moves much faster than Washington St. They should rewire the traffic lights on Washington St. to make traffic flow a little faster up & down (especially during rush hrs.)

Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I just think that it's better for everyone if they stay the course through old town. If the GW Parkway thru traffic stays left then they will clear out at Gibbon St. and it's smooth sailing from there. I find it odd that once you hit old town, Rt 1 moves much faster than Washington St. They should rewire the traffic lights on Washington St. to make traffic flow a little faster up & down (especially during rush hrs.)
Even better they should have a "locals only" express lane that breezes through town and onto the parkway. Most of that traffic is Marylanders trying to get to the bridge. To hell with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia