Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,933 times

Advertisements

After reading about the national zoo, I'm excited to take my son there. He's almost 2, and still travels around in a stroller for long trips. I was just curious how accessible the metro is to strollers during the day. It's obviously not something I'd ever attempt during rush hour, but what about the middle of the afternoon? Are there elevators to use rather than escalators? Is there space to push a stroller around? Any tips from other parents who takes small kids on the metro on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM

437 posts, read 1,230,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
After reading about the national zoo, I'm excited to take my son there. He's almost 2, and still travels around in a stroller for long trips. I was just curious how accessible the metro is to strollers during the day. It's obviously not something I'd ever attempt during rush hour, but what about the middle of the afternoon? Are there elevators to use rather than escalators? Is there space to push a stroller around? Any tips from other parents who takes small kids on the metro on a regular basis?
The Metro is pretty stroller-accessible, there are elevators in every station (although they are periodically out of order, and some smell like urine - though this is usually not a problem at the Springfield Metro or Woodley Park/Zoo from my experience). The Woodley Park/Zoo stop has an elevator that actually puts you about a block closer to the zoo than the escalator, but you'll be pushing up hill to the zoo entrance.

You might consider exiting at Cleveland Park which is a more level trip and similar distance to the zoo entrance, then going back via Cleveland Park or downhill to Woodley Park when you leave. The zoo is also hilly so unless you're really looking for exercise you may want to save it for the zoo.

FYI, rush hour starts around 4pm here so I wouldn't push the afternoon return times too far, I'd definitely plan to be well on the way home by 4:30-5pm. Also, if you want to drive, there is parking at the National Zoo (probably plenty of it during weekdays too). If you plan on going a lot, you can become a Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) member for $60/year and get free parking as a perk along with other cool stuff.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

798 posts, read 2,730,483 times
I have often seen people with strollers on the metro during nonrush hour.. According to the metro home page, all stations have elevator access so you should be good to go...

Metro - Accessibility

Enjoy the zoo!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 32,025 times
I have taken my son many times during the day and weekend on the metro. I personally find it easier to take a smaller stroller for the metro, if u don't have a ton of stuff. There are elevators. If someone is with me I find that at some stations it is easier to fold the stroller and take the escalator.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,316,188 times
Sometimes you have to hunt for the elevator, and it never seems to be on the end you go to first. I've done the Metro (and the zoo) with a twin side-by-side stroller, and I've not had many problems, but I'd definitely avoid it during rush hour. Afternoon is easier; people's departure times are more staggered throughout late afternoon/evening.

bornindc is right - going to the zoo, you should get off at Cleveland Park; leaving, walk downhill to Woodley Park. The zoo is basically one giant hill, and one of the coolest parts (in my opinion) is the farm, which is at the very bottom. If you drive, you can park right by the farm entrance, then work your way uphill. When you're ready to leave, you can have one nice long downhill trip back to the car.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,933 times
Awesome advice on the hills! I'm 4 month months pregnant, and my endurance is NOT what it used to be!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,689,070 times
Use an umbrella stroller, rather than a big one, and you'll be fine.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
To find the elevator when getting off the train, look at the sign on the wall with the name of the station. You will see a disabled logo with an arrow. Follow the arrow to the elevator. This works everywhere, except places like Metro Center, where there are multiple elevators and sometimes you have to ride two different elevators to get where you want to go.

There is often space for the strollers at the end doors of the train cars. That's not true on all cars, but many do have the space. I use a wheelchair and find that the end doors are better for me than the middle doors.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
There are many stroller's types on the market. When purchasing a stroller, need keep some things in mind - [url=http://www.childwiki.com/index.php/Strollers]Strollers - ChildWiki.com[/url]

Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
When you go to the zoo, avoid the birds and the sea lions if you want to keep away from the hilliest areas.

By the way, I recommend that you take treats. It can get expensive to eat there. Even snacks like pretzels are over priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia