Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,196 times

Advertisements

started melting in NOVA? I was looking at the weather today and it is showing the mid 40's and 50's for the next 10 days for NOVA. Just wondering if life has returned to normal for most.

It has been spring like here in NM but the people who work at the observatory in Cloudcroft say they expect about 70 more inches of snow up there before it is all over. They have had 122 inches so far this year, thank goodness we only get a tiny fraction of that here in the basin.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 AM

4,441 posts, read 8,139,975 times
Snow has been melting for about 2 weeks now. The only snow is the big piles left by the plows. I've been running over the smaller piles left in front of my house so it spreads out and the sun can hit a larger portion. I don't want to jinx us, but I think Spring is on the way. How's the saying go for March, "In like a lion, out like a lamb..."

Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
It's melting big time now. We have barely any snow at all on my street. A few drifts on my yard, but they're just a few inches high (compared to 3 feet high early last week). There's a snow mountain at a nearby intersection that was once 9 feet high. It's now down to about 3 feet.

The ground next to the sidewalk was plowed up pretty badly but for the last few days workers have been out repairing it. Things are starting to look normal again.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 AM

Oh, and the flowering trees have started to get large buds. We'll see the red flush of baby leaves soon. Flower sprouts have pushed up through the ground. My roses appear to have survived and have new growth. The lilacs have buds, too.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Yes, it's just about gone. With the exception of those huge mountains and some on the shady side of my yard. I expect the warmer temps this weekend will take care of the rest of it (except for the BIG mounds of it).

Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, it's just about gone. With the exception of those huge mountains and some on the shady side of my yard. I expect the warmer temps this weekend will take care of the rest of it (except for the BIG mounds of it).
LOL, I wonder when the last of the really big mounds will finally disappear? There's one snow mountain at DTC that might be there until May!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 AM

BTW, I'm still staging my own little private protest against the snow. Every day I shovel two bucketsful from the snow mound at the corner and throw it into my garden. Why not--it's water, so it's good for the azaleas. And I feel like I'm doing my little part to carve away that snow!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,458,292 times
these last few days have made a major dent in the snow in my yard though the areas immediately in front of and behind my house are still covered. It's definitely in retreat though and with temps forecasted to be in the 50s this weekend, by next week I'm hoping all but the biggest snow mountains will be gone!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
these last few days have made a major dent in the snow in my yard though the areas immediately in front of and behind my house are still covered. It's definitely in retreat though and with temps forecasted to be in the 50s this weekend, by next week I'm hoping all but the biggest snow mountains will be gone!
Arielmina, I was thinking of you this morning when I read the story about the people in Round Hill who risked their own lives to save that poor poodle that fell into the icy pond. The more I hear about Round Hill, the more I like the people there. I guess it just shows how much we Virginians love our pets.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh, and the flowering trees have started to get large buds. We'll see the red flush of baby leaves soon. Flower sprouts have pushed up through the ground. My roses appear to have survived and have new growth. The lilacs have buds, too.
I was just thinking that the trees will be beginning to bloom in about 2 weeks time. And for the 6 weeks from that time is some of the most brialliant displays of flowering trees anywhere in the country. I've had the opportunity to spend springtime in a few different places and haven't seen anywhere with the abundance and diversity of flowering trees as the mid-Atlantic. It really is a site to see and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia